Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: @ their peaks (whatever you determine each to have been)
Bowe on points 4 7.55%
Bowe by stoppage 20 37.74%
Draw 1 1.89%
Frazier on points 8 15.09%
Frazier by stoppage 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829
Default Joe Frazier vs. Riddick Bowe

I've often seen it said that Big Daddy is a nightmare combination of styles & dimensions for Smokin' Joe. I remain unconvinced.

So...convince me. (or tell me I'm not crazy for thinking Frazier could overcome the size, prohibitively far-spanning jab, strength, uppercut, and toughness and chop him down to size with his left hook and resilient willpower seeing him through even if he must be seated a few times along the way...)
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120
Default Re: Joe Frazier vs. Riddick Bowe

staylz
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
staylz
eelabbahreight?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

cr8tun abbrams sez wunna gunna gr8 teem KO8 grlz srry
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I could see Riddick beating Joe on a close decsion, but that would have been the Joe after Foreman I. Prime Joe would be a bit too much pressure for Riddick, and even though Bowe had mad skills, he got hit alot, and Frazier would smoke him for 12 round decision win, or late round stoppage in the 14th in a 15 rounder.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1 View Post
I could see Riddick beating Joe on a close decsion, but that would have been the Joe after Foreman I. Prime Joe would be a bit too much pressure for Riddick, and even though Bowe had mad skills, he got hit alot, and Frazier would smoke him for 12 round decision win, or late round stoppage in the 14th in a 15 rounder.
I think my basic assumption here was prime versus prime.

...which is why I think Frazier as well.

I can see either man as being susceptible to getting dropped or hurt by a signature punch from the other. Bowe if he decided to hook with Frazier, certainly is getting the worst of that exchange. Frazier if he bobs in carelessly in a rhythm Bowe can time from the outside is begging to eat a big uppercut.

Then it becomes a question of physical and psychological resiliency and ultimately, though conventional wisdom is that big = bad for Joe in any match-up, I think he can soak up more of Bowe's firepower than vice-versa. Not every big man is Big George...and Riddick didn't always excel using his size to his advantage when faced with a smaller workhorse boasting lots of heart and championship level skill. (the height disparity between he and Holyfield, incidentally, was exactly the same as between Foreman and Frazier, just FYI...)
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

I thought Evander actually had some success doing a crude Frazier imitation in that first Bowe fight, the way he was ducking and looping left hooks into Bowe's chin.

The biggest difference between Bowe and Foreman, is George had a constant awareness of the left hook. While Bowe ate lots of left hooks and his attempts at freely brawling with Frazier at close range could end up getting him dropped like Ali did with a jumping hook over the top.

Unlike Evander, Frazier also is going to be digging to the body more. I thikn Bowe stuns or drops Joe a few times but he ends up getting the worst of a war.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Bowe would destroy Frazier, it's just Foreman all over again.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
clark
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
No, it isn't.
clark is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I could just as easily counter by oversimplifying that it's just Holyfield all over again (but with more power).

I'd be no wronger.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Prime for prime, Frazier for me too. I've never been hugely convinced by Bowe, at least not to the extent of others on here.
bazza12 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza12 View Post
Prime for prime, Frazier for me too. I've never been hugely convinced by Bowe, at least not to the extent of others on here.
Yeah. I've never understood how a guy who got his black ass whooped red by Golota (twice, so no fluke) became such a h2h fantasy darling.

I've seen him picked, with utmost confidence, over Rooney-era Kid Dynamite...by many over Lennox, to whom Bowe essentially forfeited and conceded superiority via his receptacle antics...over Holmes in the midst of his long reign, and by KO no less...and in a landslide over Frazier simply by virtue of having been a super heavy and halfway decent boxer. (with the logic seeming to be that anyone significantly bigger who isn't a plodding oaf with no grasp of fundamentals smashes him to bits...and I'm sure there are some that would even tip a Willard or Ustinov over him given the prevalence of that "he can't deal with size" myth...)

Hell, I've seen Bowe given a fair chance with Clay.

Really baffling. He did possess lots of tools you'd want to see in an 'ideal heavyweight', but not enough of them for him to go down as some head to head beast with the men who could beat him numerable on a single hand as he often seems to be made out...
Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Its Bowe.

Not just because of size but size combined with that infighting skill. Remember Joe must get inside but once he gets in there he doesn`t have the advantage he normally does. Bowe put together uppercuts and hooks in combination.

Riddick was well schooled by the great Eddie Futch and I believe he was the greatest infighter for a tall {6-5} or taller heavyweight. The extra 25lbs or so would be of good use as well if Bowe wants to lean on Frazier.

I think Bowe knocks him out pretty early. Maybe not like Foreman did but inside 5 rounds.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Its Bowe.

Not just because of size but size combined with that infighting skill. Remember Joe must get inside but once he gets in there he doesn`t have the advantage he normally does. Bowe put together uppercuts and hooks in combination.

Riddick was well schooled by the great Eddie Futch and I believe he was the greatest infighter for a tall {6-5} or taller heavyweight. The extra 25lbs or so would be of good use as well if Bowe wants to lean on Frazier.

I think Bowe knocks him out pretty early. Maybe not like Foreman did but inside 5 rounds.
See, I can respect this (whilst disagreeing) as it at least is more in-depth and founded in analytical rationale than what you most often see lazily parroted about this match-up to arrive upon the same conclusion.

Interesting you mention Futch, as it would've been from his mouth alone that we could get anything close to a definitive expert answer with firsthand working knowledge of either man's strengths and weaknesses.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

...also, you say Bowe in the post but you voted "Frazier by stoppage"? Accident?

I guess in the interest of fairness someone who picks Frazier by stoppage ought to vote for Bowe to even it out and render it accurate.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum