Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Favorite Boom Boom Mancini fights

List your favorite Mancini fights and why.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Favorite Boom Boom Mancini fights

The Ramirez fight makes him look a special fighter, though Jose's feet were glued to the canvas that day.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

@orriray59 do you think the stoppage was premature? @sweet scientist ill check that one out thank you!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah he was taking heavy heavy shots flush but man did that guy have a chin lol
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I really like the Arguello fight, as it shows just how good Mancini was. Not a lot of fighters can say they led a true great like Arguello after ten rounds in a title fight, but he did. Arguello's class, patience, and ring IQ shone through, but it was an excellent effort by a guy many (even here) dismiss as nothing but a face-first clubfighter. They are wrong.

I also thought the Orlando Romero fight was a fun one. A single left hook ends matters in the ninth, but not before the southpaw challenger provides a stern test.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Awesome I got some homework to do! I knew about mancini before and I had seen a couple of his fights but only recently am I starting to really appreciate how great of a fighter he was. Heart of a Lion, always entertaining, take 3 to give 1 brawler, never backs up, punches in bunches warrior haha
Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I agree with Sanchez and others who say arguello vs Mancini. We see the hungry young lion Mancini setermined to win a belt for his father pitted against the skilled and seasoned warrior of Arguello. Beuatiful fight with two contrasting styles pitted against one another....mancini commented at one time that even when he was doing well, he felt like Arguello was analysing every move and setting him for other moments in the fight.

To a lesser degree I loved his loses to Bramble, strange as that may sound for a boom Boom fan/appreciator.

His title win over frias is short but particularly enjoyable to watch him realize both his and his fathers dream.

I like the fight against Camacho as well, with his display after a 4 year layoff...I feel that he won that fight (SD 2 cards 115-113 Camacho 1 card 116-112 mancini) 116-112 on my card...although it appears that I am in the minority on that one...Can't help but wonder what would have happened had Camacho not negotiated such a large ring....outside of Leonard/Hagler I am not sure how often that size of ring gets used????
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
The Spider

vCash:

I've got a Fight Night series DVD with Mancini vs Bobby Chacon, Arturo Frias and Orlando Romeo. Loved watching 'Boom Boom' in action.

The Chacon fight was typically brutal, and in fact Ray's final win.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I agree with Sanchez and others who say arguello vs Mancini. We see the hungry young lion Mancini setermined to win a belt for his father pitted against the skilled and seasoned warrior of Arguello. Beuatiful fight with two contrasting styles pitted against one another....mancini commented at one time that even when he was doing well, he felt like Arguello was analysing every move and setting him for other moments in the fight.

To a lesser degree I loved his loses to Bramble, strange as that may sound for a boom Boom fan/appreciator.

His title win over frias is short but particularly enjoyable to watch him realize both his and his fathers dream.

I like the fight against Camacho as well, with his display after a 4 year layoff...I feel that he won that fight (SD 2 cards 115-113 Camacho 1 card 116-112 mancini) 116-112 on my card...although it appears that I am in the minority on that one...Can't help but wonder what would have happened had Camacho not negotiated such a large ring....outside of Leonard/Hagler I am not sure how often that size of ring gets used????
I remember the quote you're speaking of, where he said he felt like he was being picked apart by Arguello. He said something along the lines of "I knew I was ahead, but also knew I was never really in control of the fight. He was dissecting me the whole time, and waited until the 12th round. Then BAM! He got me......."

Also agree on the Bramble efforts. Especially the first one, what a barnburner.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

His title fight against Du Ku Kim (sp?) was a great one and a real slugfest. There were times I thought it could go either way. Unfortunately, Kim died a few days later from injuries suffered in that fight and his mother was so heartbroken, she eventually committed suicide.

Great fight, sad ending.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
I remember the quote you're speaking of, where he said he felt like he was being picked apart by Arguello. He said something along the lines of "I knew I was ahead, but also knew I was never really in control of the fight. He was dissecting me the whole time, and waited until the 12th round. Then BAM! He got me......."

Also agree on the Bramble efforts. Especially the first one, what a barnburner.
The "If you stop it, I will kill you" comment Mancini made to Mills Lane in the 2nd one is particularly memorable...since Rocky stole it!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
His title fight against Du Ku Kim (sp?) was a great one and a real slugfest. There were times I thought it could go either way. Unfortunately, Kim died a few days later from injuries suffered in that fight and his mother was so heartbroken, she eventually committed suicide.

Great fight, sad ending.
I watched that one once, sort of out of a sense of duty I guess. Just to say I'd seen it. I don't plan on watching it again.

I do agree though........it actually was a very good fight. I just have no plans to ever see it again, same as with the Griffith-Paret fight. Once is enough.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post

Great fight, sad ending.
I would agree,to a degree.....I have the fight on DVD, but along w/ other ring tragedies I have not been able to bring myself to watch them again...I do remember it being an exciting fight.....
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah ive seen the brutal kim fight. great effort by both a great fight but tragic none the less
Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Don't forget vs Kid Dynamite. That fight had the underground NY boxing writer Flash Gordon calling Ray A white Hank Armstrong.
SLAKKA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum