thewinfella is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
lefthook82
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Observations from last night - Miguel Vazquez

aAgreed on all 3. Im sickened that I believed the hype with Gesta because Vasquez was evens to win any method. He pissed that fight. Boring as hell and he will be be CEO, COO, CFO, MD of the who needs him club if he ever loses that belt. First time I watched him and not in a worry to see him again, to say the least. Burns would have it very tough against this guy. Everybody would tbh. Very good win for Bradley as he shut this guy out when they fought
lefthook82 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

People who obviously hadn't seen him before made snap judgements on his last fight & came to the conclusion that he was average. But for me, his consistency at World level for a while now has had him as the no.1 at Lightweight since Marquez left the division. Burns is 2 for me and due to their styles as well, that's the fight I most want to see at the weight.

It'd be a fascinating chess match IMO
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
bigboxingfan
Hypejob
ESB Senior Member

Things I knew already. Vazquez has a an effective style but he is 'boring' so he might continue to be unknown. Always thought Gesta was pretty crap.
bigboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

TBH Gesta is a horribly average fighter lets be real, T said he had roots and my word his feet are like a man who's trodden in dogshit and treacle at same time. I watched a clip of him the other day Win when you made the initial thread about this fight and i had no interest in the fight when i saw him. He was made for Miguel, Miguel's good at what he does.

He's a unique type fighter very square and leans over his front leg but yet still has the ability to win at world level despite having these so called technical flaws, Him vs Burns would be a interesting fight because both like to use lateral movement.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2300

A simply horrid undercard last nite.Pac-Marquez saved this horror show.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ricky Burns fanclub told me a few weeks back that Vazquez is not very good and Ricky would smash him.

3 things I can get from those statements again.

1) The fanbys dont know shit about boxing
2) They are blindly supporting their man, and are downplaying other fighters
3) They wont shut up with this shit, until "their man" gets exposed

Whether it be Broner, or Vazquez. Ricky Burns IS getting exposed, and the fanboys are coming crashing down to earth very very soon.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook82 View Post
aAgreed on all 3. Im sickened that I believed the hype with Gesta because Vasquez was evens to win any method. He pissed that fight. Boring as hell and he will be be CEO, COO, CFO, MD of the who needs him club if he ever loses that belt. First time I watched him and not in a worry to see him again, to say the least. Burns would have it very tough against this guy. Everybody would tbh. Very good win for Bradley as he shut this guy out when they fought
I think this is probably the consensus but its not my opinion (Vazquez being boring that is), I too was roped in with Gesta, I read a couple of Top Rank reports on the kid and decided to follow him, rated him, still do actually, I just thought he'd be one of those developers, rather like Abner Mares, I did believe he had that type of ability, but now im not so sure , I actually think Vazquez is a fascinating watch, its not edge of the seat stuff but for me its just as interesting, BTW I still think Hopkins Calzaghe is one of the best fights I ever saw, for my own reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
People who obviously hadn't seen him before made snap judgements on his last fight & came to the conclusion that he was average. But for me, his consistency at World level for a while now has had him as the no.1 at Lightweight since Marquez left the division. Burns is 2 for me and due to their styles as well, that's the fight I most want to see at the weight.

It'd be a fascinating chess match IMO
Thats the truth right there!

On Burns ............. I dont think Ricky would win many rounds from Vazquez, the guy has way too much craft for Ricky Burns, its another level of ring IQ, and I dont believe Vazquez can be bullied by Burns either, if Frank could get him over to Scotland I for one would travel up the road to see that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
TBH Gesta is a horribly average fighter lets be real, T said he had roots and my word his feet are like a man who's trodden in dogshit and treacle at same time. I watched a clip of him the other day Win when you made the initial thread about this fight and i had no interest in the fight when i saw him. He was made for Miguel, Miguel's good at what he does.

He's a unique type fighter very square and leans over his front leg but yet still has the ability to win at world level despite having these so called technical flaws, Him vs Burns would be a interesting fight because both like to use lateral movement.
Harsh, I do think Gesta has some tools to work with and should get better, he's still a baby really at 25, I do believe he can come back into some sort of recognition and contention but right now I see him firmly outside of the top 8 in the world.

Ive followed Gesta for a reasonable amount of time to officially get excited about him ................... I suppose that could be my mistake
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Vasquez is one of the most underrated guys in the sport.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Ricky Burns fanclub told me a few weeks back that Vazquez is not very good and Ricky would smash him.

3 things I can get from those statements again.

1) The fanbys dont know shit about boxing
2) They are blindly supporting their man, and are downplaying other fighters
3) They wont shut up with this shit, until "their man" gets exposed

Whether it be Broner, or Vazquez. Ricky Burns IS getting exposed, and the fanboys are coming crashing down to earth very very soon.

omg who the **** said that, seeing as its ricky burns fans, myself included, who have been saying for years that vazquez was under-rated

you're starting to get boring, I consider Vazquez to be number one at the weight and he has been for quite some time, it's ****ing criminal that Broner is ranked higher than him after one fight
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Vasquez is one of the most underrated guys in the sport.
it's a wonder why, after like 3 years of us saying it, he's STILL under-rated and over-looked, how many more times must he defend his belt and his number one spot. remember when he beat Prescott he was a "taxi driver", then people actually checked the records and saw his only losses have come against Alvarez and Bradley, a title win and a few successful defences later, and suddenly he wasn't a taxi driver any more

he had ONE bad night last time out and people jumped all over him

but look at James Degale, after his last fight suddenly it was on the cards that Eubank Jr could beat him according to some, I don't understand why so called boxing fans have such a hard concept understanding that sometimes fighters just have bad nights
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
omg who the **** said that, seeing as its ricky burns fans, myself included, who have been saying for years that vazquez was under-rated

you're starting to get boring, I consider Vazquez to be number one at the weight and he has been for quite some time, it's ****ing criminal that Broner is ranked higher than him after one fight

Why do you get so upset everytime? PEOPLE WERE SAYING THESE THINGS, but as usual the Burns fanclub like changing the goalposts. Broner defeats De Marco - easy work - "Broner is still shit" etc etc

Was it specifically aimed at you? did it say BLACKBRENNY?....your just like Pitythefool. So temperamental and touchy, even when its not directly aimed at you.

HOWEVER, normally when people get so attached and wound up, they do so for a reason, maybe because they dont like the truth or what is said? Because it is actually them all along?

BTW, dont you post anywhere else? Dont you talk about other things in boxing? There are a few people on here who only seem to post in Ricky Burns related threads? What the **** is all this about?
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Why do you get so upset everytime? PEOPLE WERE SAYING THESE THINGS, but as usual the Burns fanclub like changing the goalposts. Broner defeats De Marco - easy work - "Broner is still shit" etc etc

Was it specifically aimed at you? did it say BLACKBRENNY?....your just like Pitythefool. So temperamental and touchy, even when its not directly aimed at you.

HOWEVER, normally when people get so attached and wound up, they do so for a reason, maybe because they dont like the truth or what is said? Because it is actually them all along?

BTW, dont you post anywhere else? Dont you talk about other things in boxing? There are a few people on here who only seem to post in Ricky Burns related threads? What the **** is all this about?

Well I know you hold me in great esteem as said member of the "Burns fanclub" so yes you could have been talking about me, as for do I ever talk about anything else,I'm currently involved in quite a few conversations at the moment, very little of my post count is made up of Ricky Burns related posts
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post

Harsh, I do think Gesta has some tools to work with and should get better, he's still a baby really at 25, I do believe he can come back into some sort of recognition and contention but right now I see him firmly outside of the top 8 in the world.

Ive followed Gesta for a reasonable amount of time to officially get excited about him ................... I suppose that could be my mistake
Maybe i'm being harsh Win, I dunno i don't like his attitude really. He stepped into a world title contest asking Vasquez to stand ground and fight within the first 2 mins. I mean WTF is that about? Quintero showed what you can do to Vasquez. He fought like a fool really. I also wasn't impressed with what i saw of him against Barnett just not my type of fighter a little to slow on his feet and rather crude from what i was watching.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
it's a wonder why, after like 3 years of us saying it, he's STILL under-rated and over-looked, how many more times must he defend his belt and his number one spot. remember when he beat Prescott he was a "taxi driver", then people actually checked the records and saw his only losses have come against Alvarez and Bradley, a title win and a few successful defences later, and suddenly he wasn't a taxi driver any more

he had ONE bad night last time out and people jumped all over him

but look at James Degale, after his last fight suddenly it was on the cards that Eubank Jr could beat him according to some, I don't understand why so called boxing fans have such a hard concept understanding that sometimes fighters just have bad nights
Vasquez maybe the best lightweight out there. The problem is guys like him have intangibles that only surface when hes in the ring with someone. He's not dynamic and people see him as boring and hard to watch.

A guy who had this problem was Eusebio Pedroza. An all time great featherweight. The problem that people always have with assessing how good he was would do in hypothetical matchups, is Pedroza was well rounded but not dynamic.

Dynamic fighters are always more pleasing to the eye. But it does not necessarily mean they are better. For example Archie Moore is well rounded but Roy Jones is dynamic. People would youtube Roy more because hes more pleasing to look at.

Vasquez is no joke and will give anyone a run for their money at this weight. He has that clinch game downpat.
slip&counter is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum