Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: IBHOF Class of 2013

Kid Azteca!

Last edited by the_bigunit; 12-11-2012 at 09:48 PM.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
I would agree. But I cannot think of a (eligible) fighter not in there at the moment, who's name will help sell more tickets for the weekend. And that has to be a factor in his nomination.
I was thinking the same, but at the same time I don't see why Gatti should get in ahead of someone like Gaspar Ortega or Marlon Starling.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if Arturo was the only all action fighter who made it farther on pure guts and grit than he did with skill to win a championship and whatnot, but there are numerous other Gatti-esque warriors that came before Gatti and picked up some good wins along the way that aren't in.

I'm not going to complain too much, though, Arturo was definitely a special fighter.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2300

Well,if that boring Michael Buffer got in,I am certainly pleased to see Jimmy Lennon Jr. get in this year.He's 10 times better than that idiot Buffer will ever be.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Donald Curry and Joey Archer screwed again.

Joey Archer? I hope that was sarcasm. You couldnt beat Joey in New York unless your name was Emile Griffith.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

No Marcel or Jeffra?! ****s sake.

Zapata over Yuh by a f'n mile as well.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #21
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Flea why have Marcel or Jeffra or Lionel Rose (who gets no credit for being a pioneer) when you can have Hill. He holds the record for unconsecutive title defenses at light heavyweight.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Yeah, if McGuigan gets in for overstated public relations why not Rose, who actually broke barriers and earned widespread acceptance? As well as being as good/better than McGuigan (the latter IMO)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Next year will be a big one due to De La Hoya and Trinidad.

When exactly did Felix retire? I know his last fight was early '08, im assuming he retired much later?
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #24
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
Joey Archer? I hope that was sarcasm. You couldnt beat Joey in New York unless your name was Emile Griffith.
Really? Because Emile Griffith probably robbed him first go round...

So who did Archer rob to make you say that?

Many claim the Mims fight was a robbery but I felt the decision was fair.

Haven't seen the Fullmer or Tiger fights, which I have an inkling that you'll refer to.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #25
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
No Marcel or Jeffra?! ****s sake.

Zapata over Yuh by a f'n mile as well.
I'm happy Yuh got in.

A solid all rounder who always came into fights in top shape with no excuses and distanced himself from his opponents fairly every single time out imo.

Zapata was surely more talented and undoubtebly fought the better comp, but he was also more of a flake, and put up some pretty disgraceful performances to go with some competitive low risk taking stinkers.

Which is not to say he doesn't deserve in on the HOF, but there's plenty of guys I'd have in before him.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
Many observers felt he deserved the nod both times against Griffith.

He was never decisively beaten. Fullmer and Gonzalez beat him by inches, and both also have a loss to him. Griffith is the only man he ever faced and didn't officially beat - although he came damn close...and he perhaps should have, maybe twice.

Throw in having retired SRR (who may have been a shell of his prime self, but was raging against the dying of a light and soon to bow out before ever suffering the too-common indignity of a past great becoming a joke in the ring), and beating Tiger, Hurricane, and Moyer - and yeah, he's got a case for induction considering the caliber of some of those ahead of him.

Especially factoring in that he couldn't crack an egg but still rose to the level he did, competitive against half a dozen other current or presumptive future Hall inductees (and victorious against all but one), and coming within sniffing distance - a couple of points - of becoming world champion in a solid era for his division.

h2h, for his era and otherwise, heck of a boxer. Iron chin, quick beautiful jab, clever and educated footwork that didn't waste anything, tendency to switch southpaw on the fly and then over again fluidly on the backfoot, and never boring or shy to slug it out when goaded despite being flatly more a boxer than a puncher.

Lovely to watch, and maybe you should so do a bit more before dismissing him as a candidate out of hand.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

By the way, your intimation wasn't lost on me - but it's almost too absurd to merit a response.

If you meant Carter, pshaw. Don't believe everything you hear about his career. Archer beat him as clearly as Giardello (and make no mistake, Giardello did beat him)

If you meant Mims, just stop yourself. The only thing Mims was robbed of was maybe a knockdown call when Joey's glove seemed to touch the floor momentarily - or just miss it by centimeters. Tough call. Begrudging Archer that one is silly; it isn't like Mims otherwise ruled the roost besides the 3rd. It was close and not unfairly scored.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I keep thinking bout the induction of gatti.

It's not so much that he doesn't deserve it as that others deserve it more.

I mean gatti above Marcel, Curry or Naz? Not sure how that's justified.

I know the glitz and glamour says 2 division world champion and the human highlight reel but I would have thought the people voting would know better.

glad to see him in, just i would have been more glad to see others above him.

Quality to see Ramey in though, if it's who I'm thinking of anyways. Stacked resume but always denied a title shot.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
By the way, your intimation wasn't lost on me - but it's almost too absurd to merit a response.

If you meant Carter, pshaw. Don't believe everything you hear about his career. Archer beat him as clearly as Giardello (and make no mistake, Giardello did beat him)

If you meant Mims, just stop yourself. The only thing Mims was robbed of was maybe a knockdown call when Joey's glove seemed to touch the floor momentarily - or just miss it by centimeters. Tough call. Begrudging Archer that one is silly; it isn't like Mims otherwise ruled the roost besides the 3rd. It was close and not unfairly scored.
IB, have you seen the Archer-Carter fight or are you going off reports?

On the Carter-Giardello fight, I think it was pretty much an either way fight myself. Definitely no robbery.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
When exactly did Felix retire? I know his last fight was early '08, im assuming he retired much later?
You are eligible 5 calender years after your last fight by the induction weekend. The reason De La Hoya isn't in this year is because his last fight with in December, 2008, had he retired after the Forbes fight (in May, 200 he'd be going in the 2013 class, but because his last fight was after June, 2008, he's going to be in the 2014 class.
Bill1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum