Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Why so many people still think that because of the styles, Pac would have some chances of winning against Mayweather ?

Can somebody technically explain how Pacquiao's style would trouble Mayweather ?

imo I don't see how , even a 2009 Pacquiao could trouble a 2011-2012 Mayweather. I mean Floyd would counter Pacquiao with his left hook all night long till he would KO'd him.
flashy k.o is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Wasn't there a technical summary of this topic way back?

Search function would help.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Miguel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post
Wasn't there a technical summary of this topic way back?

Search function would help.
I don't know who would win. I do find it laughable people think Floyd would win because of the Marquez KO.

Firstly FLoyd's KO record is poor, Marquez' is impressive. He has known power in his right. Secondly they are both counter punchers but very different kinds. Marquez counters toe to toe, Floyd counters with singles at a distance. Thirdly Marquez can take shots, he will go in harms way - that's how he got the chance to counter Pacquiao. He will willingly stand and take some big shots himself to open up the chance for big counters. Floyd does not do this. Let's not forget Pacquiao was battering Marquez at that point also and giving him a lot of problems before that counter which was completely at odds with how the fight was going.

Mayweather would keep the fight at a distance and jab and get the odd coutner with his right which is always primed for that single counter follow through. So that's why Floyd wouldn't necessarily give Pac the same problems Marquez does - Marquez can fight toe to toe, take a punch and look to counter. Mayweather covers up when toe to toe, he does not counter when under pressure or he would have KO'd Cotto quite easily.

Why would Pacquiao give him problems? The shoulder roll just doesn't work as well against left handers. Pacquiao's speed in his offense is something Mayweather hasn't faced before. Pacquiao's speed would allow him to connect with Floyd a lot more often than Floyd has been used to in fights. Floyd does not have a good chin, he has a great defense but when exposed he's been shaken by mediocre punches.

So yes, I think Pacquiao would certainly give Mayweather problems and if he used the same movement he did against Marquez without the reckless lunging in head first, chin exposed he would of course give Mayweather problems.
Miguel is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drkEXlkIiMA[/ame]
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
I don't know who would win. I do find it laughable people think Floyd would win because of the Marquez KO.

Firstly FLoyd's KO record is poor, Marquez' is impressive. He has known power in his right. Secondly they are both counter punchers but very different kinds. Marquez counters toe to toe, Floyd counters with singles at a distance. Thirdly Marquez can take shots, he will go in harms way - that's how he got the chance to counter Pacquiao. He will willingly stand and take some big shots himself to open up the chance for big counters. Floyd does not do this. Let's not forget Pacquiao was battering Marquez at that point also and giving him a lot of problems before that counter which was completely at odds with how the fight was going.

Mayweather would keep the fight at a distance and jab and get the odd coutner with his right which is always primed for that single counter follow through. So that's why Floyd wouldn't necessarily give Pac the same problems Marquez does - Marquez can fight toe to toe, take a punch and look to counter. Mayweather covers up when toe to toe, he does not counter when under pressure or he would have KO'd Cotto quite easily.

Why would Pacquiao give him problems? The shoulder roll just doesn't work as well against left handers. Pacquiao's speed in his offense is something Mayweather hasn't faced before. Pacquiao's speed would allow him to connect with Floyd a lot more often than Floyd has been used to in fights. Floyd does not have a good chin, he has a great defense but when exposed he's been shaken by mediocre punches.

So yes, I think Pacquiao would certainly give Mayweather problems and if he used the same movement he did against Marquez without the reckless lunging in head first, chin exposed he would of course give Mayweather problems.
thanks bro for the answer.

U forget that Floyd has a very effective and accurate straight right hand punch - a very dangerous punch for a guy like Pacquiao. Not to mention that Floyd masters very well the angles and knows very well how to faint and set traps.

p.s i'm agree that Pac was above Marquez until he got K.O'd.
flashy k.o is online now  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
tonys333
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 189

i think floyd would win but it would still be a tough fight floyd goes back in straight lines an when he is presured with punches he goes back to the ropes but he is all so very fast an accurate with his counters it would still be a good fight with lots of moments an i no how people like to go on about floyds deffence like he has never ever been hit in his career but pac will hit him with some big shots i just think in the end floyd uds him but i would still be intrested init if pac still has his punch resistance that is.
tonys333 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Miguel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy k.o View Post
thanks bro for the answer.

U forget that Floyd has a very effective and accurate straight right hand punch - a very dangerous punch for a guy like Pacquiao. Not to mention that Floyd masters very well the angles and knows very well how to faint and set traps.

p.s i'm agree that Pac was above Marquez until he got K.O'd.
I'm not denying Floyd would get counters in, I noted that with what I said above as it's his main countering weapon. But he doesn't get in close enough to lay on the kind of damaging counters Marquez does...Mayweather's KO record is very poor for good reason, he doesn't have great power and his counters are not as dangerous as Marquez' because Marquez is willing to get close and get in harm's way to throw them, Floyd does not.

Floyd will clearly connect with Pacquiao and perhaps get a decision, KO is always possible as 1 punch is all it takes but less likely based on what we know. Pacquiao would likewise give Floyd plenty of problems also though for reasons mentioned above
Miguel is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

Floyd beats the piss out of him. He's the better inside fighter, he's better outside, he's got better instincts, he's better defensively, and overall is the more skilled fighter. His movement in the pocket would be tough for Manny to deal with, I think Floyd would be waking Manny down by the end of the fight and possibly stop him late.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
Floyd beats the piss out of him. He's the better inside fighter, he's better outside, he's got better instincts, he's better defensively, and overall is the more skilled fighter. His movement in the pocket would be tough for Manny to deal with, I think Floyd would be waking Manny down by the end of the fight and possibly stop him late.
oibighead is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Flyers2001
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 587

Quote:
I'm not denying Floyd would get counters in, I noted that with what I said above as it's his main countering weapon. But he doesn't get in close enough to lay on the kind of damaging counters Marquez does...Mayweather's KO record is very poor for good reason, he doesn't have great power and his counters are not as dangerous as Marquez' because Marquez is willing to get close and get in harm's way to throw them, Floyd does not.

Floyd will clearly connect with Pacquiao and perhaps get a decision, KO is always possible as 1 punch is all it takes but less likely based on what we know. Pacquiao would likewise give Floyd plenty of problems also though for reasons mentioned above

Dude, your underestimating Floyd's Power. Floyd is obvisouly not a 1 punch KO guy, but the reason he doesn't have KO's is because he fightscautiously.

Floyd could have easily stopped Marquez and Cotto, but he doesn't risk anything.

**Also, as previously mentioned the shoulder roll is not as effective against outh paw. Thats a fact, but Floyd has always made adjustments against southpaws. He tends to be more the agressor. He goes with the high guard and shoots straight rights up the middle. He knows to keep the front foot on the outside and to control the ring.

His biggest weapon against Pac would be that straight right or the step back check left hook.

Pac would give Floys fits early because he is very fast and somewhat unpredictable. With that said once Floyd, like Marquez, starts to time the in and out movements then he would start to counter Pac. Pac's face gets worn and he would get busted up. Floyd hits harder than people believe and because he use to be Pretty people don't think he has the dog in him.

Floyd can brawl when needed and has an arsenal to do it, Pac would bring it out because he is a warrior. As fans we would all win.
Flyers2001 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
tonys333
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Dude, your underestimating Floyd's Power. Floyd is obvisouly not a 1 punch KO guy, but the reason he doesn't have KO's is because he fightscautiously.

Floyd could have easily stopped Marquez and Cotto, but he doesn't risk anything.

**Also, as previously mentioned the shoulder roll is not as effective against outh paw. Thats a fact, but Floyd has always made adjustments against southpaws. He tends to be more the agressor. He goes with the high guard and shoots straight rights up the middle. He knows to keep the front foot on the outside and to control the ring.

His biggest weapon against Pac would be that straight right or the step back check left hook.

Pac would give Floys fits early because he is very fast and somewhat unpredictable. With that said once Floyd, like Marquez, starts to time the in and out movements then he would start to counter Pac. Pac's face gets worn and he would get busted up. Floyd hits harder than people believe and because he use to be Pretty people don't think he has the dog in him.

Floyd can brawl when needed and has an arsenal to do it, Pac would bring it out because he is a warrior. As fans we would all win.

i agree with this guy it would be a great fight to watch an a hard fight for both boxers but i still think we will never get to see it soo there will be people talking about who would have won for years but the sad truth is we will never get to find out.
tonys333 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:

lets address some issue in your statements hear where you're flat wrong.

1) floyd does not use the shoulder roll on lefties when in close .. In all his fights with lefties he keep both hand up , except whit victor ortiz who was predictable running in face first.

2) floyd fights at a distance because of his long reach. His reach is a lot longer then marquez but like marquez relies on timing more then he relies on his speed.

3) toe to toe? floyd fight in the pocket, meaning he standing right in front of you. he uses upper body moment and faint to get distance and timing.. Pac's head on rush would only trouble floyd for a couple of rounds before he started timing pac.. If marquez and land the right on pac how many do you think floyd would land?

4) floyd does not have a good chin? that statement right there tells me you have only seen floyd fight at 147, in any case he's taken his shots on the chin and not went down . where ever did you get that idea?
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Flyers2001
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 587

Quote:
4) floyd does not have a good chin? that statement right there tells me you have only seen floyd fight at 147, in any case he's taken his shots on the chin and not went down . where ever did you get that idea?
Exactly, because people seen floyd get rocked by Corley, Judah and Mosley he doesn't have a good chin. He took all those shots and never didn't touch the canvas. Even when Mosley rocked Floyd he recovered in the same round and backed Mosley up.

Fact: Floyd has only been ruled down once. Guess who put him down? Floyd put himself down when he broke his own hand.
Flyers2001 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
victor879
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

If you do an objective analysis of both fighters, you'll end up with a simple conclusion: Manny Pacquiao has a puncher's chance against Mayweather. That is it. I have been saying this for years: The fight is a mismatch in Mayweather's favor.
victor879 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
Miguel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor879 View Post
If you do an objective analysis of both fighters, you'll end up with a simple conclusion: Manny Pacquiao has a puncher's chance against Mayweather. That is it. I have been saying this for years: The fight is a mismatch in Mayweather's favor.
Look, if it becomes a boxing bout Mayweather wins. Pacquiao will connect more than most, he's unlike anyone Mayweather has faced before. I'd give him more than a puncher's chance because he will land a fair few himself.
Miguel is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum