Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Jake Lamotta Personality before and after?

He was described as a miserable person to be around ect ect but watching interviews with him its so hard for me to imagine him not being just the funny guy, was he really as bad as he was described when he was fighting and did he just change or something after he retired or got older?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jake Lamotta Personality before and after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
He was described as a miserable person to be around ect ect but watching interviews with him its so hard for me to imagine him not being just the funny guy, was he really as bad as he was described when he was fighting and did he just change or something after he retired or got older?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I sat and drank wine and ate cheese and onion crisps with him and his fiance in a hotel bar in Derby England with him just over 2 years ago and he was very funny - but he was very firey too - had to be a bit careful on certain subjects but yeah wouldnt want to see him really lose it even at 89 as he was then haha but yeah he was pretty funny to and had a lot of opinions too
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

the intensity of the times, the grinds of a top boxing career and the anxiety of trying to secure a title might have made for an anxious unhappy camper through those days. But after it was all over and he got what he worked for by fair means or foul, I'm sure he lightened up some.

he would be by no means unique in that department anyway.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Yeah, the times made him like that, he had a very terrible upbringing, he was a non educated criminally inclined street kid who made it to the top of the most brutal and corrupt sport around that takes a big toll on you mentall and physically. After his career he was surrounded by a certain type of person who would probably have a impact on how he behaved and carried himself being in the limelight, surronded by educated, respectable people and such.

But I seriously think Lamotta has some sort of antisocial personality disorder or was/is bipolar.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

With Jakes style of fighting i Think only a person with a have crazy personality would be able to pull all that off. Hes talked about his regrets before, said if he could go back an do one thing in life it would be to treat his ex wife vicki better
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I just came upon this thread. Real interesting to me as I read his book like 30 yrs ago. Anyone else meet him in person with stories to share?
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
klompton2
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ive got a several stories about Jake from people Ive met along the way who knew him. He was a pretty shitty person. One of my friends was telling me that about 20 yrs ago or so, when Jake was in his late 60s or early 70s, he was walking down the street in the city and happened to glance down an alley. There was Jake mugging some guy. My friend, who knew Jake, says "Jake! What the hell are you doing?" Jake answers: "Keeping in practice..." Then goes back to kicking the shit out of the guy. He admitted to raping two women in his first book. In his second book he tells about how his wife goes into labor while hes playing cards in his ratty, rundown apartment (this is in the 1970s I think). His wife is standing there nearly in tears begging him to take her to the hospital and Jake just sits there and keeps on drinking and playing cards (Graziano was there playing as well if I recall the story correctly). If you listen to the commentary he does on the Raging Bull DVD he starts to lose his temper a couple of times with his nephew (who kind of interviews him and keeps the commentary moving). Another friend of mine has an old training diary Jake kept in the early 1950s. He wanted to get the thing signed by Jake at Canastota but was advised by Hank Kaplan not to try because Jake was likely to try and reclaim it.
klompton2 is online now  Top
Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
ForemanJab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 603

It's really amazing he is still alive with all this marbles at 93. Amazing genetics this guy has.
ForemanJab is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

John Garfield/Joe, before he passed, he shared some Jake anecdotes here and on other forums, from after his apparent behavioural reformation (Jake's, I mean). He made it sound like Jake had a very tight lid on all of his badness. He tells a story of a guy actually slapping him in the face and Jake not doing anything about it. Of course Klompton's story sounds just as likely. Psychopaths tend to seem unpredictable to non-psychopaths. Jake might be a guy who would help an old lady across the street on Monday and then decide to sodomise her on Tuesday because she didn't sound genuine in her thanks on Monday.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton2 View Post
Ive got a several stories about Jake from people Ive met along the way who knew him. He was a pretty shitty person. One of my friends was telling me that about 20 yrs ago or so, when Jake was in his late 60s or early 70s, he was walking down the street in the city and happened to glance down an alley. There was Jake mugging some guy. My friend, who knew Jake, says "Jake! What the hell are you doing?" Jake answers: "Keeping in practice..." Then goes back to kicking the shit out of the guy. He admitted to raping two women in his first book. In his second book he tells about how his wife goes into labor while hes playing cards in his ratty, rundown apartment (this is in the 1970s I think). His wife is standing there nearly in tears begging him to take her to the hospital and Jake just sits there and keeps on drinking and playing cards (Graziano was there playing as well if I recall the story correctly). If you listen to the commentary he does on the Raging Bull DVD he starts to lose his temper a couple of times with his nephew (who kind of interviews him and keeps the commentary moving). Another friend of mine has an old training diary Jake kept in the early 1950s. He wanted to get the thing signed by Jake at Canastota but was advised by Hank Kaplan not to try because Jake was likely to try and reclaim it.
Holy Shit..not much to like about the guy at all. Thanks for posting.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2014, 01:10 AM   #11
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I had a brief Conversation with Jake this past October. Unfortunately it didn't go so well, he had great difficulty hearing me, there was a lot of background noise and for someone of his age that can be a disaster. I asked him about Cerdan, and he said great fighter, tough.
The Long Count is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 AM   #12
klompton2
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long Count View Post
I had a brief Conversation with Jake this past October. Unfortunately it didn't go so well, he had great difficulty hearing me, there was a lot of background noise and for someone of his age that can be a disaster. I asked him about Cerdan, and he said great fighter, tough.
He was apparently genuinely upset that Cerdan died. Supposedly he cried. Its one of those idiosyncrosies about him that he could be sensitive about something like that and pretty heartless in other areas. I have a film of him being interviewed by French TV right after Cerdan's death and he is giving his condolences and talking about how to honor Cerdan he will now fight not just for the USA but also for France.
klompton2 is online now  Top
Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 AM   #13
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

He came out here in 1988 and charmed the hell out of us with his humour and stories. He was so charming and recounted all his old war stories in a very entertaining manner.

People mellow out as they grow older, but I don't doubt any of the wild stories we've all heard and read about.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 AM   #14
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Tell you what though...there are two guys in particular I would not like to meet in a dark alley, or any alley for that matter.
One of them is LaMotta.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2014, 04:12 AM   #15
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton2 View Post
He was apparently genuinely upset that Cerdan died. Supposedly he cried. Its one of those idiosyncrosies about him that he could be sensitive about something like that and pretty heartless in other areas. I have a film of him being interviewed by French TV right after Cerdan's death and he is giving his condolences and talking about how to honor Cerdan he will now fight not just for the USA but also for France.
His wife Denise was with him, and when he couldn't pick up what I was saying, she kindly relayed for me my questions in his ear, but unfortunately that is all I could garner from him was that Cerdan was a great fighter and tough. I wanted to learn more details on their encounter and stay away from asking questions on Robinson and the Raging Bull movie as I am sure that is what he is most often asked. I had heard that as well, that he was genuinely affected by Marcel's untimely death.
The Long Count is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum