Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Euro Bum
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Cool Khan promises molina he will be a completely different fighter come fight night.

AMIR KHAN has vowed to reinvent himself as “a totally different fighter” when he aims to bounce back this weekend from two successive defeats.

The Bolton light-welterweight is under intense pressure to beat Carlos Molina in Los Angeles on Saturday after a miserable 12 months.

A year ago he controversially lost his WBA title to Lamont Peterson, only to be subsequently reinstated when it emerged the American had been using synthetic testosterone. However, he lost his next fight too when Danny Garcia knocked him silly in a fourth-round stoppage win in Las Vegas in July.

The Garcia defeat brought about much soul-searching before the Englishman made the tough decision to leave renowned trainer Freddie Roach and join forces with another Californian, Virgil Hunter.

Khan’s questionable punch resistance and over-zealous attacking instincts point towards the need for a change in approach and the fighter himself admits there has been plenty to work on under Hunter, who boasts a stellar reputation having guided Andre Ward to pound-for-pound recognition.

“Training with Virgil’s been going really well,” the 26-year-old said ahead of his scrap with undefeated Californian Molina. “The gym is quiet, it’s chilled, you can think about what you’re doing.

“Virgil is a great trainer. He breaks everything down and every day he reminds me what I need to do, what I need to work on and what mistakes I make which need improving on.”

Khan was in control against Garcia before leaving himself exposed and being taken apart by the Philadelphian’s power shots. The 2004 Olympic silver medalist insists he will use that experience, combined with Hunter’s input, to right those wrongs.

“We’ve sat down and watched the Garcia fight together and we’ve been working on some new stuff from that, including being more patient and waiting for the right shots at the right time and not over-committing myself,” he said.

“When I watch the Garcia fight, I can see that I’m like a totally different fighter. Virgil said to me when we watched it again ’now you tell me what you’re doing wrong in the fight and what you’d do differently now’ and so I told him.

“It shows that the sparring I’ve been doing and the training I’m getting is helping me. I’m a better fighter by far because I would not fight Garcia the way I did.”
Euro Bum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
DrX
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Khan promises molina he will be a completely different fighter come fight night.

new trainer cant change a fighter....they just cant
DrX is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Khan promises molina he will be a completely different fighter come fight night.

The guys been fighting since he was a child, a few months of training with a new guy is not going to "change" him.
irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
eviltaker10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
The guys been fighting since he was a child, a few months of training with a new guy is not going to "change" him.

With the right guy I could
eviltaker10 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

vCash: 160

I think he will surpise...

Whether he can use and apply his newly taught skills in a pressure situation... that's whats important
miniq is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

He better be, he is fighting a 5"6 135lber who has a KO rate of 38% in his own weightclass.

I hope Khan gets knocked out for bitching himself into this fight.
oibighead is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
MonsterMunch

Has there ever been a complete fighter? no there hasnt. Can an advanced/pro fighter improve on his technique,? yes.... to the point of complete change.. ? no..
MonsterMunch is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
juice20
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 430

Like Wlad did, he'll probably improve his technique and approach to fights, and have better gameplans. When/if plan A fails, he'll likely revert back to his old habits just on pure instinct alone.
juice20 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

He says this for every fight, but I suppose he's justified in saying it for this. He is with a new trainer, after all. And to his credit, his style did drastically change in his early days with Roach (Barrera, Kotelnik and Malignaggi). I'll be looking out for slight tweaks this Saturday. Hopefully Molina comes to rip him on the inside. But we'll only find out the true extent of his improvements when he's back in their with top-tier opponents.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum