Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
tom22709
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default khan tonight

Safe to say amir put on a bit of a masterclass albeit against tame opposition, fought extremely well in short bursts and looked as sharp as ever, I thought he got better as the fight went on and he grew in confidence, the improvements are evident in terms of his general approach but in the the first few rounds especially there were still signs of him leaving his chin a bit high and was getting tagged once or twice...all in all though a huge improvement in terms of gameplan and in ring iq especially...

Garcia next hopefully?
tom22709 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
critix
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: khan tonight

He's working on a new defensive technique it will take more time to completely master it... still a magnificent performance..
critix is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

He did fine.

Not lunging in as much, keeping his range and his hands up.

He got clipped a few times, but it's boxing, it happens, he's never going to not get touched for an entire 12 rounds, he just needs to make sure it's not consistent, and that he dictates pace, which is what he did .

I would like to see Khan take on a couple more fights similar to the one tonight, or step up a little bit but avoid the top 5 fighters for time being.

There is work to do, but it takes years to master inside fighting etc, Hunter has work to do, give him the time to work
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
PhilthyRich
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He looked the same. Had molina not have been such a limited fighter, we might've seen better signs of improvements. He still looked the same fast starter. Goldenboy did a great job at match making. Even though molina is undefeated (17-0-1), he still only has 7ko's. So those landed shots, didn't even bother Khan, glass jaw and all. Garcia whoops his ass again
PhilthyRich is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyRich View Post
He looked the same. Had molina not have been such a limited fighter, we might've seen better signs of improvements. He still looked the same fast starter. Goldenboy did a great job at match making. Even though molina is undefeated (17-0-1), he still only has 7ko's. So those landed shots, didn't even bother Khan, glass jaw and all. Garcia whoops his ass again
I don't think so.

The old khan would have been lunging in and out like a madman, he paced himself nicely.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
I TuCKeR 93 I

vCash: 1176

Garcia KO's him again
I TuCKeR 93 I is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by I TuCKeR 93 I View Post
Garcia KO's him again
When is Garcia going to fight his Mandatory contender, Lucas Matthyse?

His fight against Judah is a voluntary, is he going to take another voluntary against Khan after this voluntary?

Why doesn't Crispy Boy want to fight Matthyse?

Why is that?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
mani0
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Khan needs to sit on his punches more.
mani0 is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

More time under Hunter the better for Khan.

He done the job tonight, a more paced and controlled display, but he needs more time under Hunter but a good start for only 1 camp under him.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He was using the ring alot better not getting caught on the ropes as much. Pacing himself better and picking his shots. It will take time but he is improving, hopefully he sorts out his problem defending the left hook i noticed he was still getting caught with that at time. Personally i think he should go for peterson next.
nick6 is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
Jaso
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Khan is fighting Josesito Lopez next
Jaso is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
zetsui
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 416

Could you remove that titted beautiful black woman from your profile? Philthy

My assessment of the fight:
Referee Reiss: a little rough. looked angry. Pushed back Khan during a regular break quite aggressively. Never seen a ref push someone back as roughly as he did. He was good on inside fighting, if one hand was free, he let them go at it.

Commentators: I thought I'd never say this, but HBOs commentators are Gods compared to these guys, especially Bernstein. Man needs to STFU. Malignaggi is awesome but didn't say much this fight.

Khan:
+
works his jab for once. Double and triple it up. Destroys momentum, breaks concentration, and breaks down opponent slowly. Pushed off back leg. Pushed his jab up, with his 'boxing' style and long reach from an abysmal mid 20s to the 40% range. Huge improvment.
good inside work when put against the rope
good right guard- he seemed to know when to put it up both predictively (expectign the shot) and reflexively (seeing it and reflexively defending against it)
actually countering for once especially while stepping back
stuck to the strategy let the KO come instead of getting reckless
more reflexive and predictive in his approach- that is you can tell he thinks about these scenerios ahead of time. There was a few quick shots Molina threw at Khan that I think would have hit anyone but moving back, leaning on the back leg, shoulder up he effectively blocked them
judging distance and controlling opponent through his left arm
finally some inside work
Takes the punch more reflexiively and predictively. He took that Garcia punch straight ( I mean he had no reaction to it-even last minute like tiling or angling his head). To me this says that Khan instinctively has changed his defense.
"viva mexico"
-
Started dropping his guard to the end of the fight
Still getting hit by left hooks and well timed shots. the plus I saw for Khan was that Molinas hooks were a lot shorter than Garcia's.
Still uncontrolled flurries...maybe less frequent and more controlled, but left himself open plenty of times .
Needs to turn away from the left hook. I noticed the occsional revolving INTO it. His strategy of stepping out remedies this a little.
Needs to learn about his own body. He has reach and lanky arms. That means he needs some distance between his fists and his opponents. When he stunned Molina and was on the inside he just flurried away at the body, instead of steppign back and judging his distance better to rip shots to the body. Against a better opponent that sort of flurry would be open to counters
Not pushing off his back leg for later jabs. This is why you saw his front foot 'pattering against the ground'. You always move forward with your front foot
Occasioanl pushing
"I will KO Garcia..." I mean let's be real...you can't defend someone who says stupid shitt like that. Asif Vali needs to step in and do his job here. Considering he has no pre-boxing experience, he won't

Molina
+
tremendous Chin and heart. Took hard shots and kept coming forward
good overall technique, not bad in any one place
managed to protect his cut his early eye better than the majority fighters I've seen
short quick punches, good combo, great overhand and well timed hooks
not afraid to get dirty inside
timing,accuracy
Great handspeed. A little under Khan's but enough to match anyone below 140
Good 1-2 and overhand. Barely used it though, but when he did it backed Khan up
-
Poor conditioning. Could have bulked up more slowly and came in much more lean. Should take some weight off his legs, since he already quite short and put some onto his top half
He doesn't have power because he neither torques his punches or body, nor does he punch through his target.
Physically he reminds me of JCC Sr, his body is well anchored into the ground and he can use body hooks much better than a taller fighter. He just threw himself into Khan's chest though (literally) in the ropes instead of forcing him into the ropes and corners

Not enough attack
lack of bobbing and weaving when coming inside
a little too predictive in that he would back up on punches once khan started instead of seeing it as an opportunity to come in. If you are backing up, that allows Khan to re-establish his Jab
Should close the distance either bobing and weaving, cutting off the ring, or a jumping jab.
needs to let his hands go not only offensively but defensively- could have varied up the placement of his defense, especially against Khan's uppercuts. He just ate them
His corner were a bunch of assholes. Asking him to quit since the third round. Should have given him more pertinent information like closing the distance and the ring.

Too lazy to write an overall write up of both fighters.

What I want to know is do you think Khan setup his array of shots using the jab well?
I'm also curious as to whether GB will get Molina a good contender/title shot. What was promised, anyone know?

Last edited by zetsui; 12-16-2012 at 02:15 AM.
zetsui is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
Big Bang
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Those lapses in his defense will ensure he ends up on his arse again. Get real, same old same old.
Big Bang is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #14
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Khan's hands are pretty damaged. Check out Saj's tweet
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #15
IRONSENSE2002
muslim and proud
ESB Addict

he should fight again in the end of feb hopefully his hand situation isn't that bad
IRONSENSE2002 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum