Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 272
Default KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Up to the KO punch from Marquez I remember thinking That Marquez looked alot slower in the ring.
He was getting hit alot easier by manny by shots that he wouldn't normally get hit by.
6th round KO punch aside it was the worst Marquez has looked against pac.

I'm very proud of Marquez and so happy that he got his big career defining win. As it will complete change his legacy and could potentially rank him up there with Chavez now.

But do people agree that Marquez looked alot better in fight 3 where he controlled the pace, compared to fight 4, where had he not landed that ko shot, he looked like he would have been TKO'd himsel in the following couple of rounds, or on his way to a wide decision loss.

No trolling please in this thread. Sensible discussions only

JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
HellSpawn86
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 884
vCash: 1000
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Yes, but I'm not sure if it's due to age or part of the muscle building strategy. He trained for 1 thing and 1 thing only to get the KO. It was risky and he almost got KOed. I'm not sure if Marquez will come back the same. I don't know if his desire can stay the same, if he will stay young, if he bulked up so much it will be hard for his body to get back to normal. His current musculature will not help him against other opponents.
HellSpawn86 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 15,700
vCash: 162
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

"One of the most significant KO's of the past several decades against an ATG fighter aside..."

But no, I thought what JMM was doing up until the KO was still better than what he did in III. He was working for it in IV and setting it up, and he got it.

As far as the KD he suffered, his chin has never been ATG, he goes down but always gets up. Maybe it's more of a surprise that he never went down in III.
Nonito Smoak is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 272
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSpawn86 View Post
Yes, but I'm not sure if it's due to age or part of the muscle building strategy. He trained for 1 thing and 1 thing only to get the KO. It was risky and he almost got KOed. I'm not sure if Marquez will come back the same. I don't know if his desire can stay the same, if he will stay young, if he bulked up so much it will be hard for his body to get back to normal. His current musculature will not help him against other opponents.

I 100% agree. I think he will be fine against comeforwrd fighters that he can walk onto bigshots.

But will struggle against boxers massively.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
JoeCamelTow
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Pac had a great 6th round but JMM has always been able to rebound and has been proving it since round 1 of the first fight.

Don't forget that even the for a couple of rounds it looked like the tide might
be turning Manny's way, JMM had been also hurting Pac and was standing on his punches. About 10 secs before the KO, JMM landed a couple of similar shots to the devastating last punch but Pac was moving away both times.

THe fight ended right in the middle, we still had 6 rounds to go and anything
could have happened. JMM has shown that he can absorb Manny's punches pretty well and Manny, well, not so much.
JoeCamelTow is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 272
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
"One of the most significant KO's of the past several decades against an ATG fighter aside..."

But no, I thought what JMM was doing up until the KO was still better than what he did in III. He was working for it in IV and setting it up, and he got it.

As far as the KD he suffered, his chin has never been ATG, he goes down but always gets up. Maybe it's more of a surprise that he never went down in III.

are you saying this in hindsight.

Can you honestly say in rounds 5 and 6 you were thinking. Marquez is performing the best ever here. He's Setting Manny Up!

Maybe i'm not as good an Analyst as you, but to me he was fighting with alot of heart and couraage. But he was getting beaten up in there. He had trained for the KO punch. But he was running out of time quickly.

I remember he landed a very similar punch in round 5 that got Pacs attention but he walked through it.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 272
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamelTow View Post
Pac had a great 6th round but JMM has always been able to rebound and has been proving it since round 1 of the first fight.

Don't forget that even the for a couple of rounds it looked like the tide might
be turning Manny's way, JMM had been also hurting Pac and was standing on his punches. About 10 secs before the KO, JMM landed a couple of similar shots to the devastating last punch but Pac was moving away both times.

THe fight ended right in the middle, we still had 6 rounds to go and anything
could have happened. JMM has shown that he can absorb Manny's punches pretty well and Manny, well, not so much.

Your right ko punch aside, the tide could have turned.

I'm just saying personally from the 1st 6 rounds. I personally thought Marquez looked a coule of steps slower in there, and he was getting tagged alot more without countering back, which never hapened in the 1st 2 fights. If anything Marquez controlled the last 3 fights. Where in this one Pac looked in control. Which IMO is why he got careless.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 272
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

6 posts in and all great points

Hope it can stay like this
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
HellSpawn86
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 884
vCash: 1000
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
I 100% agree. I think he will be fine against comeforwrd fighters that he can walk onto bigshots.

But will struggle against boxers massively.
That's why I wonder what his plan is. There aren't too many ways to go up form here. The only thing left for him are maybe a bigger pay day for a fifth fight or Rios. I don't think he can really up his pay scale too much against Bradley. I think legacy wise he is set. A fifth fight against Pac would be exciting and lucrative I'd rather see Pac recover and Marq get back to normal musculature because I'm sure Roach caught onto the KO strategy, but I guess Pac could end up chinny. I don't know. I think this is a feather in the cap and Marquez can retire from here. I think he accomplished the one thing that was driving for several years now.
HellSpawn86 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 15,700
vCash: 162
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
are you saying this in hindsight.

Can you honestly say in rounds 5 and 6 you were thinking. Marquez is performing the best ever here. He's Setting Manny Up!

Maybe i'm not as good an Analyst as you, but to me he was fighting with alot of heart and couraage. But he was getting beaten up in there. He had trained for the KO punch. But he was running out of time quickly.

I remember he landed a very similar punch in round 5 that got Pacs attention but he walked through it.
Not the best of his career at the time, hell no. But he was conceding things while setting him up, perhaps? And when it pays off, then credit not criticism is due.

And I would say round 6 was not running out of time. Round 10 would be that.

I thought he landed 3 punches that seriously stunned Pac in the 5th after the KD. All right hands.

I will say round 6 gave me no insight as to what would occur at the end of the round.
Nonito Smoak is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,451
vCash: 1000
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Yeah, he has.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
HellSpawn86
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 884
vCash: 1000
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

I guess I would say the same for Pac too. It took one of the smartest counter punchers of this era to beat him. Pac's accomplishments go for days and I don't think anyone will be close to doing what he has done for many decades from now. I think he was fighting the right fight to beat Marquez, but he could possibly come back chinny so if he was to come back he should take a tune up first. I think it's also a good time to retire before he puts a black eye in his legacy. Plus he's got plenty to going on in his life right now.
HellSpawn86 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #13
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 272
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSpawn86 View Post
That's why I wonder what his plan is. There aren't too many ways to go up form here. The only thing left for him are maybe a bigger pay day for a fifth fight or Rios. I don't think he can really up his pay scale too much against Bradley. I think legacy wise he is set. A fifth fight against Pac would be exciting and lucrative I'd rather see Pac recover and Marq get back to normal musculature because I'm sure Roach caught onto the KO strategy, but I guess Pac could end up chinny. I don't know. I think this is a feather in the cap and Marquez can retire from here. I think he accomplished the one thing that was driving for several years now.

i agree and think he should retire.

As a fan, i don't want him to though.

I personally want the Rios Fight, or Bradley Fight. And agree they are both tough fights.
The Manny Fight is another 50/50 one i think. As Manny was winning but only becuse he was fighting like old Manny. And Old Many leaves himself open to get KO'd.

I hope its not aginst Floyd, as he will get easilly outboxed again.

I'm not sure how much money he'll earn in next fight. His stock has definetly gone up dramatically, but beating a ppv star, even it that fashion doesnt neccesarily make you one.

Do you think he'd earn big money against Bradley or Rios. I'm not sure myself, especially cos those 2 will want to be paid big as well.

Cotto fight could be a good one. i'd like to see that.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,451
vCash: 1000
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

He shouldn't retire, he's in the box seat. Pacquiao has faded too, it's an ATG rivalry and he could win a fifth fight - and make many millions.

One more time.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,451
vCash: 1000
Default Re: KO Punch aside has Marquez slowed down

It's ****ing weird though, i've picked Marquez to win every fight outside of the third, (which was a clear win for JMM IMO) but i'd pick Manny to beat Marquez in V, even though Marquez just KTFO Manny.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013