Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Now who's the leader of their generation: Pacquiao or Mayweather?

Even though he has arguably lost the last three fights, Pacman still has the better resume.

But Mayweather is undefeated and would probably school Pac.

Who's the best of that generation?
Asterion is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Whiskers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Now who's the leader of their generation: Pacquiao or Mayweather?

It’s hard to say because both fighters have brought something different to the table which has taken them to the top. Mayweather has his pure unrivalled boxing ability which has made him the favourite against nearly all of his opposition (past, present and future), and Pacquiao has the best resume in the sport with spectacular wins and the most fan friendly style out there. History will probably remember Pacquiao in a more positive light because underdogs who proved everyone wrong tend to be appreciated more. Mayweather is too skilled for his own good and unfortunately has never been giving the same opportunities Pacquiao has had to ‘shock’ the world. He’s always been the favourite and expected to win.
Whiskers is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Jak Boxer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

You answered your own question. Pac has the better resume. You prove your the best by fighting the best. This is something Floyd refused to do in the 6+ years he's been at welterweight.,
Jak Boxer is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Whiskers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
This is something Floyd refused to do in the 6+ years he's been at welterweight
I think that's unfair. Aside from retiring in 2008 and not fighting prime Pacquiao, he's been in with good opposition despite low activity. Judah, Baldomir, Oscar, Hatton, and Mosley were good fights.
Whiskers is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272

i agree. Pac was a 1st ballet HOF'er for being the 1st flyweight champ to become lightweight champ. And doing it by beating 3 ATG's in the process.

Anything above that has been a bonus. Even if floyd beat Manny, I would never say floyd was better than him in a ATG lineup. Manny was never supposed to be at these higher weights dominating like he was
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
Jak Boxer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
I think that's unfair. Aside from retiring in 2008 and not fighting prime Pacquiao, he's been in with good opposition despite low activity. Judah, Baldomir, Oscar, Hatton, and Mosley were good fights.
His WW run has glaring holes . An undefeated Cotto, a still fresh / younger Shane Mosley, Margarito, P Williams, Pacquiao, etc were all active in the division while he was fighting at welterweight, and he fought none of them - at least not when they were anywhere near their best. Instead he 'retired' after fighting Hatton (a junior ww), came back and dragged a career featherweight up 2 weight divisions, took more vacations/retirements, avoided Pacquiao like the plague, rest is history.
Jak Boxer is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Whiskers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yes I acknowledge the retirements and not meeting those fighters mentioned. But when people make out as though he avoided good opposition his entire time at welterweight I think they’re wrong. Especially when they talk about Shane Mosley. Everyone forgets that Mayweather chased him for years and as far as I recall Mosley turned him down two times. Then Mayweather fought him at the best opportunity he could. Practically as soon as he came back from retiring. After he beat Marquez he obliged Mosley’s challenge right away. Something which Mosley didn’t do.
Whiskers is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Pacquiao has the better resume but Mayweather is the favourite to beat him and anybody else.

Mayweather dominated top opposition in the 90's with 5 title fights, one with the great G. Hernandez, he has literally LED the generation.
anj is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Miguel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
When he "retired" it wasn't just Pacquiao he was dodging. It was prime Cotto, prime Margarito, prime Williams and a just past prime Mosley. Mayweather's resume at 147 in the 6 years he's been at that weight is awful.

To me they are both the leading fighters of their generation, Pacquiao has taken challenges head on when the odds were stacked against him due to his size. Mayweather has shirked challenges ever since leaving 130lb - he wanted De La Hoya's fame, and markets that 0 for all it's worth. If you want to consider Bradley as a legit loss, and consider Marquez III as a loss then you have to consider the Castillo fight as a loss on Mayweather's record either, no way he won that fight. Castillo was robbed. He isn't active enough either, and picks his opponents very carefully.

Pacquiao can come back, KO Marquez and people will just say "Marquez is his Frazier" - Pacquiao at least sought him out and never let losing be a reason to avoid someone...

I think Mayweather is a phenomenal defensive boxer, but he ensures his opponents are tailor made for him
Miguel is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Whatever your position,Manny gave the fans a better deal but most of us know that even in 2009,Floyd was always going to beat him.

The best of the generation has to be the one who was undefeated and would most likely win.It's not as if Floyd has fought bum after bum.They have common opponents FFS.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
Suga
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Manny will be rated higher unlese Mayweather does something dramatic the next couple of years. But who is better? Mayweather by a mile
Suga is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
Miguel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Whatever your position,Manny gave the fans a better deal but most of us know that even in 2009,Floyd was always going to beat him..
I don't agree at all. I think both styles pose problems to the other in many ways and I think we'll never know. And that fact hurts Mayweather's legacy more than Pacquiao's in my opinion
Miguel is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Imagining for a second that they are both retired, I think it will end up being Mayweather in retrospect. But the fact is, their failing to meet will have serious reprecussions for both. It can always be argued inconclusively that one was better than the other. Being regarded as the clear standout from your own generation of fighters is crucial in securing a high p4p ranking.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Collie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 18000

I would say, H2H Mayweather. Resume/achievements, Pacquaio.

Its a pity Mayweather didn't fight more often because he would probably beat most of his potential opponents, but we will never know so that probably hurts his ranking.
Collie is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
finalfight
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Pac does not have a better resume. It's a smoke and mirrors con trick made up of fighting the boiled down bones of former contenders.

Mayweather vs Ortiz or Cotto at their own weight tops Pac fighting scraps of anyone. Besides it's obvious to even a blind man that Mayweather would toy with Manny in much the same way he did with JMM. Mayweather is the best of this generation.
finalfight is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum