Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: As a boxing fan, who do you respect more?
Carl Froch 86 65.65%
Joe Calzaghe 45 34.35%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Poll - Who do you respect more, Carl Froch or Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydrinks View Post
Froch will fight anyone anywhere, Calzaghe cherry picked his way to 46-0. Only a right div would vote for Calzaghe in this poll.
that lame one again , too many back in calzaghe`s reign avoided him Hopkins in 2002 after signing the deal where he`d have got the biggest pay day of his career backed out and got sued by fisheyes, Echols avoided him Jermain Taylor out priced himself , Ottkke wanted nothing to do with calzaghe aswell as indirectly knocking calzaghe resume by cheating Brewer and Mitchel and Reid.

As for all those who have been in the Super six they are fortunate to have had such a tourney, although before and since then Froch has shown The guts.

Calzaghe fought two younger undefeated world champs in kessler and lacy who were classed as his equals or maybe better by the media, so how is that avoiding???

As for Hopkins and Jones they fought Calzaghe when they had nothing to lose and when he had everything to lose.

Pavlik and Dawson would have got schooled
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
that lame one again , too many back in calzaghe`s reign avoided him Hopkins in 2002 after signing the deal where he`d have got the biggest pay day of his career backed out and got sued by fisheyes, Echols avoided him Jermain Taylor out priced himself , Ottkke wanted nothing to do with calzaghe aswell as indirectly knocking calzaghe resume by cheating Brewer and Mitchel and Reid.

As for all those who have been in the Super six they are fortunate to have had such a tourney, although before and since then Froch has shown The guts.

Calzaghe fought two younger undefeated world champs in kessler and lacy who were classed as his equals or maybe better by the media, so how is that avoiding???

As for Hopkins and Jones they fought Calzaghe when they had nothing to lose and when he had everything to lose.

Great post mate

People seem to forget the Lacy and Kessler fights.

Regardless of the outcomes, particularly so with the Lacy fight, these were considered dangerous fights for Calzaghe; many thought he would be destroyed by Lacy infact.

It's not fair to judge someone after the matter; Calzaghe faced dangerous undefeated challengers at the tp of their game, and beat them.

I'm not saying Calzaghe fought everyone at their prime, but then it could be argued that neither has Froch.

I like and respect both men.

Their careers both stand-up well and they both deserve respect as far as I am concerned.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Jasper Simone
Veteran Traveller
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 2572

I've always been a Froch fan whereas I was never a fan of Calzaghe, but in terms of respect, I respect them both. For the poll I voted Froch but that's really by the by.
Jasper Simone is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
Great post mate

People seem to forget the Lacy and Kessler fights.

Regardless of the outcomes, particularly so with the Lacy fight, these were considered dangerous fights for Calzaghe; many thought he would be destroyed by Lacy infact.

It's not fair to judge someone after the matter; Calzaghe faced dangerous undefeated challengers at the tp of their game, and beat them.

I'm not saying Calzaghe fought everyone at their prime, but then it could be argued that neither has Froch.

I like and respect both men.

Their careers both stand-up well and they both deserve respect as far as I am concerned.
You got it
Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Froch, but Calzaghe was the better boxer and would have beaten him. But Froch has the far better attitude and wants to take on the best.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
madpuppy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

Here we go again, everyone ducked Calzaghe and the ones that didn't he would have schooled anyway, blah blah blah. Say it enough times and you end up believing it yourself!

The guy's record of opponents is an embarrassment for someone of his talent, that is something that is hard to dispute. Froch has showed how it can be done, if you want to fight the best, you will end up fighting the best.
madpuppy is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
Barry Smith
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuppy View Post
Here we go again, everyone ducked Calzaghe and the ones that didn't he would have schooled anyway, blah blah blah. Say it enough times and you end up believing it yourself!

The guy's record of opponents is an embarrassment for someone of his talent, that is something that is hard to dispute. Froch has showed how it can be done, if you want to fight the best, you will end up fighting the best.
These people must get all their information from Fish Eye's articles in The Sun.
Barry Smith is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Joe Calzaghe.

Carl Froch's attitude has changed since he went under Eddie Hearn. Became arrogant and obnoxious. I used to like Carl and root for him when he wasnt getting the attention he deserved years ago.

But I dont like him now. I respect his fight, heart and chin as a fighter, but as a man since the switch to Matchroom, he has just become a another c*nt to me. No surprise at all, this is Sly and the Hearns we are talking about here. All about PR and image, "I'm the best thing going" etc etc

Ego got to Carl outside the ring, he will pay for it inside.

Joe remained the same to me throughout his career under his dads watch. He was always real to me and I rated him very highly as a boxer. Joe Calzaghe was on another level to Carl Froch, in and outside the ring, they dont call him the pride of Wales for nothing! From a bullied little kid at school, to an undefeated world champion from a small welsh village, and one of the best boxers Britain has ever produced, if not the best.

Carl Froch - "pride of Nottingham"

Joe Calzaghe - "pride of WALES"
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuppy View Post

Hopkins , taylor ,echols, Ottke etc ducked Calzaghe, as for Dawson and pavlik talent wise do you really think they could have beat Calzaghe?

I have nothing against froch im a fan. As for Calzaghe the best of the rest didnt want to know when he was in his prime other than kessler and lacy who were both younger un beaten champs and viewed as equal or maybe better, he beat them both so theres no avoiding or cherry picking there.

now gonna watch ring side and analyse one of my chess games
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
madpuppy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Hopkins , taylor ,echols, Ottke etc ducked Calzaghe, as for Dawson and pavlik talent wise do you really think they could have beat Calzaghe?

I have nothing against froch im a fan. As for Calzaghe the best of the rest didnt want to know when he was in his prime other than kessler and lacy who were both younger un beaten champs and viewed as equal or maybe better, he beat them both so theres no avoiding or cherry picking there.

now gonna watch ring side and analyse one of my chess games
I like to talk about real match ups not hypothetical ones. Calzaghe is the number one hypothetical P4P boxer of all time.
madpuppy is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #26
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000

I respect Calzaghes ability over Frochs but prefer Carls attitude. Outside the ring there was always something a little negative and Eeyoreish about Joe.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
efc85
non entity
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2770

I'd much rather have a pint with joe
efc85 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #28
Llanlad
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think you have to define what we are suppose to respect ?

We can respect both fighters for different things so which one are we talking about ?

I can understand all the current positive vibe for Froch, he has done well with what could be argued as limited skills ..

But on the same note .. are we having a negative view on Calzaghe because he had more skills and possibly could have done much more ?

IMO .. people are brushing Froch's defeat to Kessler under the carpet whilst conveniently brushing Calzaghe's win over Kessler under a different carpet to make Froch look better.

Froch's win over Bute is also possibly being taken too far ... until Bute comes back and proves me wrong then i think this win may end up looking a little hollow.

Im all for giving Froch some respect , but all things being level then Calzaghe should not be disrespected for possibly achieving more.

The bottom line is .. a prime Calzaghe beats a prime Froch without any doubt imo ..
Llanlad is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Joe's the main man & would have thrashed Froch pure & simple, Froch for me is just a titleist & not a bona-fida champion, SOG is the SMW champion & of that there is no doubt

Froch is a level below the likes of Joe & Ward & always will be
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanlad View Post
I think you have to define what we are suppose to respect ?

We can respect both fighters for different things so which one are we talking about ?

I can understand all the current positive vibe for Froch, he has done well with what could be argued as limited skills ..

But on the same note .. are we having a negative view on Calzaghe because he had more skills and possibly could have done much more ?

IMO .. people are brushing Froch's defeat to Kessler under the carpet whilst conveniently brushing Calzaghe's win over Kessler under a different carpet to make Froch look better.

Froch's win over Bute is also possibly being taken too far ... until Bute comes back and proves me wrong then i think this win may end up looking a little hollow.

Im all for giving Froch some respect , but all things being level then Calzaghe should not be disrespected for possibly achieving more.

The bottom line is .. a prime Calzaghe beats a prime Froch without any doubt imo ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Joe's the main man & would have thrashed Froch pure & simple, Froch for me is just a titleist & not a bona-fida champion, SOG is the SMW champion & of that there is no doubt

Froch is a level below the likes of Joe & Ward & always will be
Two very sound posts, agree with you both
Michael300 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum