Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: As a boxing fan, who do you respect more?
Carl Froch 86 65.65%
Joe Calzaghe 45 34.35%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #31
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Poll - Who do you respect more, Carl Froch or Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuppy View Post
I like to talk about real match ups not hypothetical ones. Calzaghe is the number one hypothetical P4P boxer of all time.
I see you dont want to answer that question by throwing a moot statement back, as you know calzaghe would have beat both pavlik and Dawson.
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #32
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanlad View Post
I think you have to define what we are suppose to respect ?

We can respect both fighters for different things so which one are we talking about ?

I can understand all the current positive vibe for Froch, he has done well with what could be argued as limited skills ..

But on the same note .. are we having a negative view on Calzaghe because he had more skills and possibly could have done much more ?

IMO .. people are brushing Froch's defeat to Kessler under the carpet whilst conveniently brushing Calzaghe's win over Kessler under a different carpet to make Froch look better.

Froch's win over Bute is also possibly being taken too far ... until Bute comes back and proves me wrong then i think this win may end up looking a little hollow.

Im all for giving Froch some respect , but all things being level then Calzaghe should not be disrespected for possibly achieving more.

The bottom line is .. a prime Calzaghe beats a prime Froch without any doubt imo ..
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
madpuppy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
I see you dont want to answer that question by throwing a moot statement back, as you know calzaghe would have beat both pavlik and Dawson.
He most likely would beat them, but this has nothing to do with this topic or the point that i was trying to make.

As a boxing fan, I am disappointed in Calzaghe's career.
madpuppy is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuppy View Post
He most likely would beat them, but this has nothing to do with this topic or the point that i was trying to make.

As a boxing fan, I am disappointed in Calzaghe's career.
There are parts im dissappointed with too , but its not all his fault. Many didnt want to know when he was in his prime and some only fought him when it suited them . Say one of these two Brewer or Mitchell had beaten Ottke would they have been so willing to fight Calzaghe??
Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #35
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree Calzaghe would have boxed Froch to a 9/3 points victory and had the superior skills.

I just don't agree for a second that he desperately tried to make the big fights and that all these opponents he somehow miraculously missed out on through absolutely no fault of his own at all ducked him! That is simply not true. I have read his book and the man doesn't even deny it really. He NEVER wanted to travel to have fights outside the UK and knew full well that people like RJJ and Hopkins would be unlikely to come to Wales and that the TV broadcast times would be all messed for american TV.

He was quite happy to stay here beating B grade opponents, I am not saying he wouldn't have fought those fighters in WALES, but he didn't go out of his way to take on the best abroad as Froch did. He COULD have beaten pretty much anyone but he chose not to, that certainly takes away from his legacy, which whilst impressive could have been so much better.

Instead we are discussing whether his record matches up to the 2nd or 3rd current best SMW in Froch. He could have been a nailed on, sealed in to history forever, SMW HOF ATG #1 rather than a great fighter with a record that could be brought in to question.

Even the most hardened Calzaghe fan must concede he could have done so much more if he had the inclination to travel or take fights outside his comfort zone.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #36
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
that lame one again , too many back in calzaghe`s reign avoided him Hopkins in 2002 after signing the deal where he`d have got the biggest pay day of his career backed out and got sued by fisheyes, Echols avoided him Jermain Taylor out priced himself , Ottkke wanted nothing to do with calzaghe aswell as indirectly knocking calzaghe resume by cheating Brewer and Mitchel and Reid.

As for all those who have been in the Super six they are fortunate to have had such a tourney, although before and since then Froch has shown The guts.

Calzaghe fought two younger undefeated world champs in kessler and lacy who were classed as his equals or maybe better by the media, so how is that avoiding???

As for Hopkins and Jones they fought Calzaghe when they had nothing to lose and when he had everything to lose.

Pavlik and Dawson would have got schooled
You do know Santa isn't real right?
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #37
sniffmybadger
trust me I'm a stomach
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Skill set and as an athlete, Calzaghe.
Determination and heart, Froch.
sniffmybadger is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #38
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
I respect Calzaghe's skills and his incredible reign as an unbeaten world champion, although he left it late to unify.

I respect Froch's warrior mentality, willingness to fight anyone and travel to do so, and his tough uncompromising style.

I don't see why they need to be compared, they're from two slightly different times and both have their individual merits, you can respect one without thinking the other a bum or over rated!
Carl Froch had to travel, because he was a no mark.

And he's not a avoided and feared fighter like Joe Calzaghe was.

They are level's apart in ability.

Calzaghe resume is still better aswell.

Calzaghe was a warrior aswell, he would fight a straight up war with anybody!
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #39
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

This is like when the general forum had a thread about who you'd want to date your sister or daughter more, Pacquiao or Mayweather.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #40
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Froch, and it's not even close.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #41
PUNCHDRUNK
Darth Booth
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Joe Calzaghe.

Carl Froch's attitude has changed since he went under Eddie Hearn. Became arrogant and obnoxious. I used to like Carl and root for him when he wasnt getting the attention he deserved years ago.

But I dont like him now. I respect his fight, heart and chin as a fighter, but as a man since the switch to Matchroom, he has just become a another c*nt to me. No surprise at all, this is Sly and the Hearns we are talking about here. All about PR and image, "I'm the best thing going" etc etc

Ego got to Carl outside the ring, he will pay for it inside.

Joe remained the same to me throughout his career under his dads watch. He was always real to me and I rated him very highly as a boxer. Joe Calzaghe was on another level to Carl Froch, in and outside the ring, they dont call him the pride of Wales for nothing! From a bullied little kid at school, to an undefeated world champion from a small welsh village, and one of the best boxers Britain has ever produced, if not the best.

Carl Froch - "pride of Nottingham"

Joe Calzaghe - "pride of WALES"
So true. Froch would have been Lacey'd if they had ever fought.
PUNCHDRUNK is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #42
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNCHDRUNK View Post
So true. Froch would have been Lacey'd if they had ever fought.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #43
Your Out!
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Anyone connected to boxing has to respect both these guys. Simple
Your Out! is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #44
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

People mention Joe's record, but it wasn't that great.

It's OK to reel off his resume, but it's in patches and not done on the bounce like Carl's. And besides, Joe's last two opponents had a combined age of nearly 100 years old! Jones wasn't even ranked and Hopkins was what exactly?

Joe could have done so much more, yet here we are saying he could have fought and beat Pavlik, Dawson, Jones in his prime, Hopkins in his prime, Winky, Jermaine Taylor etc but he didn't.

I think Froch is lucky that he is in a division where everyone has HAD to fight each other. But I think that would have been the case anyway. Froch has fought THE VERY BEST of his era, did Joe? No.

He even slags Jones in his autobiography yet fights him in his last fight! The date when that book come out and the date of that fight must have been a few years? And that only made Jones even worse than what he was and Joe STILL got decked in the first round!

Joe never sought out the top fighters which is one of the reasons why I rate Carl above him.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #45
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648

Calzaghe dominated his weight for 10 years, beat Eubank more decisively than anyone else and fought through broken hands. Both warriors but Calzaghe for me.
iceferg is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum