Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 210
Default The Pascal - Hopkins fight has just added to Calzaghes legacy

Calzaghe beat Hopkins when Hopkins was Ring LHW champ & P4P #3.
Calzaghe went up to a new weight he hadnt fought before and beat Hopkins in America with 3 American judges and Cortez as ref.
Hopkins is known for finishing strong yet Calzaghe had Hopkins holding, and gassing due to his excellent skills in asserting pressure, manuvering Hopkins around the ring.
Calzaghe flapped at times but also landed more clean scoring shots and out landed Hopkins, making Hopkins look bad.
If Hopkins thought he won, he wouldnt have been trying to get points deducted off of Calzaghe and faking injury, trying to get time out.

Calzaghe beat Hopkins sandwiched between Hopkins best wins of Tarver, Wright, and Pavlik.

The fight was only a SD because the judge who scored for Hopkins gave Hopkins round 11 a clear Calzaghe round (bias), but the other 2 judges clearly scored for Calzaghe.
Calzaghes resume continues to grow long after hes retired 46-0.
Haters will have to accept that Hopkins LOST.

Clear win for Calzaghe
bailey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Wig
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: The Pascal - Hopkins fight has just added to Calzaghes legacy

Grey's Anatomy.
Wig is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
cesare-borgia
‹bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

why do people always bring calzaghe into hopkins discussion, This si going to be a heated discussion about who won again. It was a close fight that calzaghe won on the cards. How does that add to his legacy,kessler beating froch adds more to his legacy then anything b-hop does because that fight was to close to clearly give calzaghe the win and therefore not a valid argument.
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
rocky538
Lineal Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

The legacy where he fought the shot Roy Jones instead of fighting Froch, Dawson, Bute, Pascal, Ward and a Hopkins rematch, then retired after?
rocky538 is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3000

Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Smacked
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Calzaghe did well in his last few fights but imo he should have added to his own legacy by fighting dawson and maybe one more fight since he was still in good nick in his late 30's but i agree going to america and taking on the top guy at 175 and winning was good, but thats the way it is, a lot of americans hate that it happened and will always try to make it appear it didnt
Smacked is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 275

1. Calzaghe never won a title at LHW. (WBO, WBA, WBC, and IBF)

2. Calzaghe refused to have a rematch with Hopkins, even in Cardiff.

3. Calzaghe only has defended his Ring LHW title against a shot Jones Jr.

4. Hopkins showed in his fights after Calzaghe that he can perform better, Calzaghe showed after the Hopkins fight he is the same old slappy joe.

5. Hopkins was taking the piss vs Calzaghe, faking low blows against Calzaghe, but when he was legitimatley hit on the back of his head vs Pascal he made no fuss about it since he was motivated and serious.

6. Hopkins > Calzaghe. Hopkins fought a young champion in his hometown, who is 18 years his junior, Calzaghe has never shown balls like that.

7. Calzaghe showed he was a faggot by having homo fantasies in the middle of his fight vs Hopkins by trying to dry hump him.

8. Hopkins getting a draw vs Pascal at 45 years of age is more of a feat than much of Calzaghes career.

9. Hopkins turned Calzaghe into a crackhead. After getting afraid to step in for a rematch he turned to crack cocaine coz he was too shook.

10. Calzaghe is a ***** for not fighting Pascal, Pavlik, Froch, Dawson or Hopkins II, instead he fought Shot Jones Jr.
realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Calzaghe fans are so funny. When Lacy looks absolute shite in every fight since fighting Calzaghe they cry if someone suggest Lacy wasn't very good. "Calzaghe was a 100/1 underdog" etc (It was about evens). Does the fact that Ward beat Kessler a lot more easily than Calzaghe make Calzaghe's win worse?

It seems a bit silly to try to turn all of Hopkins's wins into Calzaghe wins when Joe was extremely lucky to beat Hopkins in the first place. If Calzaghe wanted wins over the likes of Pavlik ,Tarver and Pascal he should have fought people that good but all he cared about was staying undefeated.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
krishv123
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I guess Jermain Taylor is 1st ballot HOF now also???doh!!!
krishv123 is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
FraggleRock
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 99

If you're using the current performances of a 45 year old man as a means of improving Calzaghe's legacy when he only took a SD against said fighter than that tells me Calzaghe's legacy is a bit weak to begin with.
FraggleRock is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Exposed
*** East Side VIP ****
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 10066

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Actually, it takes away from Calzaghe's legacy...a fight in which Calzaghe lost in the eyes of MANY ringside observers and journalists (including BBC Sports). Calzaghe never hurt Hopkins (except in the balls), while Hopkins put him on his ass and stunned him on several occasions. Calzaghe admitted he was hurt by the knockdown and said he retaliated deliberately with the low blow, and even admitted Hopkins was his toughest opponent.

So now we know why he refused to give Hopkins a rematch, even in Cardiff. And you think this adds to his legacy?
Exposed is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think the reactions at the bell say it all.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
TboneNYC
World Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 5235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Calzaghe beat Hopkins when Hopkins was Ring LHW champ & P4P #3.
Calzaghe went up to a new weight he hadnt fought before and beat Hopkins in America with 3 American judges and Cortez as ref.
Hopkins is known for finishing strong yet Calzaghe had Hopkins holding, and gassing due to his excellent skills in asserting pressure, manuvering Hopkins around the ring.
Calzaghe flapped at times but also landed more clean scoring shots and out landed Hopkins, making Hopkins look bad.
If Hopkins thought he won, he wouldnt have been trying to get points deducted off of Calzaghe and faking injury, trying to get time out.

Calzaghe beat Hopkins sandwiched between Hopkins best wins of Tarver, Wright, and Pavlik.

The fight was only a SD because the judge who scored for Hopkins gave Hopkins round 11 a clear Calzaghe round (bias), but the other 2 judges clearly scored for Calzaghe.
Calzaghes resume continues to grow long after hes retired 46-0.
Haters will have to accept that Hopkins LOST.

Clear win for Calzaghe
Let it go bro. Calzaghe is the best waaa waaa waaa.

Bailey to Calzaghe...Laces out!!!
TboneNYC is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post

Actually, it takes away from Calzaghe's legacy...a fight in which Calzaghe lost in the eyes of MANY ringside observers and journalists (including BBC Sports). Calzaghe never hurt Hopkins (except in the balls), while Hopkins put him on his ass and stunned him on several occasions. Calzaghe admitted he was hurt by the knockdown and said he retaliated deliberately with the low blow, and even admitted Hopkins was his toughest opponent.

So now we know why he refused to give Hopkins a rematch, even in Cardiff. And you think this adds to his legacy?

A few more points:-

BBC Sport Round by Round:

Round 10: Enzo Calzaghe is talking about knockouts and his son may yet need one. There is certainly more spring in the younger man's step - he catches Hopkins low and then taunts him which is unpopular among certain sections of the crowd. Sly Stallone at ringside is not impressed. Hopkins takes a couple of minutes to recover and we are off again. No point deduction for Calzaghe by the way.

Round 11: Calzaghe needs to finish very well and Hopkins is not making it easy. The American knows when to tie up and when to punch his way out of a corner - he has even more ring savvy than Calzaghe and it has shown tonight. Explosive end to the round but I think Calzaghe needs a knockout. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think he can win this on points.

Round 12: The undefeated record is on the line and Calzaghe comes forward like he knows it. But Hopkins ties him up time and again. A frustrating final round for the Welshman and a frustrating fight really. Some experts disagree with me but I think Hopkins has this. Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong.

Calzaghe says after the rematch:

"I don't want to push it too far, one more fight from me and then that is it, I'm done,"

"Everyone wants to stay unbeaten and I'm no different. If you carry on too long eventually you will get beaten."

Translation: You already know.

Hopkins comments:

"It's clear the world and the fans, other than the Brits, know that I won this fight,"

"...I took this guy to school and I won the fight on a unanimous decision,"

"They've seen a 43-year-old throwback give a boxing exhibition, take this guy to school and make him look amateurish."

realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 210

You have to learn to live with the fact that Calzaghe clearly beat Hopkins.
Outlanded Hopkins, scored with more shots and flapped at times, but did land more solid shots.
Manuvered Hopkins around the ring.
Had Hopkins who usually finishes strong, gassing and holding and trying to get time out.
If Hopkins thought he was winning he would have been trying to get points deducted from Calzaghe.

Clear Calzaghe win
bailey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum