boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #691
qwertyblahblah
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Of course Pacquiao's ranking is irrelevant if Mosley was already champion when he fought Mayweather.

Last edited by qwertyblahblah; 04-01-2014 at 09:34 AM.
qwertyblahblah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links


Old 04-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #692
marie4u
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

mike tyson i love you.
marie4u is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #693
VG_Addict
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,157
vCash: 2492
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

If Kazuto Ioka wins on May 7, will he enter the P4P rankings? He'll have been a three division champion in only 15 fights.

Also, Naoya Inoue beat Adrian Hernandez today. Hernandez was ranked #1 in the junior flyweight division. Don't forget to mention that this was only Inoue's 6th professional fight.
VG_Addict is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #694
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
If Kazuto Ioka wins on May 7, will he enter the P4P rankings? He'll have been a three division champion in only 15 fights.
VG-Addict! You're a good poster! Where's your head?

"Three-division champion" says who?

Ioka has never defeated a true champion and has never won a #1 vs. 2 match-up for a vacant throne. Let's step out of the make-pretend world of fake ratings and trick titles and look at boxing like serious men.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #695
eltirado
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,806
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
VG-Addict! You're a good poster! Where's your head?

"Three-division champion" says who?

Ioka has never defeated a true champion and has never won a #1 vs. 2 match-up for a vacant throne. Let's step out of the make-pretend world of fake ratings and trick titles and look at boxing like serious men.
Gonzale, Ioka, Inoue surely more impressive than the Old 4 Hasbeens
eltirado is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #696
VG_Addict
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,157
vCash: 2492
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Sorry if this is another dumb question but:

What if a fighter cleans out a division? Say he beats all the top 5 fighters in his division. Will he be the lineal champion then?
VG_Addict is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #697
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
Sorry if this is another dumb question but:

What if a fighter cleans out a division? Say he beats all the top 5 fighters in his division. Will he be the lineal champion then?
That's no dumb question, it's a critical one. There are two answers, both assuming that there is a vacant throne in the division.

The first answer is that a fighter ranked #1 or #2 who is stomping through a division like Godzilla, but avoids fighting the next best cannot be crowned. That wouldn't mean that he isn't the premiere fighter in the division, but it would mean that he is not the true champion, the division king (Again, bleep the bleeping belts). There must be rules of succession; and that is something boxing as gotten away from because of greed at the top and social-media's obsession with opinion -it's like a never-ending debate out there and guys take their own singular opinion as something weightier than it is. Nay-Sayer provides an immediate example of that in the past several pages of this thread.

An example of a premier fighter/non-champion is Mayweather. Although intelligent minds disagree about whether he should have been champion after beating Mosley, the fact is that he has avoided the next best, who was usually Pacquiao since he came out of retirement in 2009. He's the best WW, probably, but he isn't the champion as far as we're concerned because he failed to fight the next best. If he signs to fight the winner of Pacquiao-Bradley II, the chances are pretty good that the winner will be ranked second in the division, then the winner of that one will the welterweight king.

To be sure, Floyd is the Jr. MW king. Why? He fought the next best in the division. Canelo was the biggest risk he took in damn-near thirteen years if you ask me, and it was worth it. Floyd got himself a crown for it.

Another example is Jones. Jones may well have been the flashiest cherry-picker in history, but history will frown on him once boxing gets its collective head dislodged from its collective rump. Jones never fought the true champion or the next best at MW, SMW, or LHW. He was the premiere fighter in all three divisions which is big, but he ended up being a belt-collector without a throne, which is a damn shame.

The second and probably more fitting answer to your specific question is this: if a fighter beats the top five in the division, he will likely get ranked at 1 or 2 as soon as he whips #1 or #2, then he need only whip his next best rival to take a vacant throne.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #698
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39,620
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Updated P4P list:

1. Floyd Mayweather
2. Andre Ward
3. Manny Pacquiao
4. Tim Bradley
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Sergio Martinez
7. Carl Froch
8. Wlad Klitschko
9. Guillermo Rigondeaux
10. Danny Garcia
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #699
gary j. stout
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings:Mayweather & Pacquiao 1,2 @ WW again

good to know!! now they should have bouts to prove the world who is THE BEST!
--- Contact me for Best Boxing belt deals ---
Gym Ast. Manager Detroit, MI. Loves WBC belts. Sells Collectibles for most of my living.
gary j. stout is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #700
FartWristedBum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings:Mayweather & Pacquiao 1,2 @ WW again

Hey all,
my thanks to McGrain and associates for starting this, a sound and comendable enterprise.
1 question though (and this is NOT a veiled dig at TBRB or Ward), I see A.Ward is #2 P4P still.
If Froch were to beat Groves and Chavez Jnr whilst Ward defends against a lower top 10 opponent @ SMW, would Ward still retain his P4P status above Froch? Even though many would consider Froch (should the two hypothetical victories happen) to be top in the SMW division?
How long is one allowed to "live off" former accomplishments before they are dropped in your rankings?
I know you allow for weight changes and injuries to an extent but it grates on me slightly that such an inactive fighter as Ward is hailed so highly P4P still.
How long could he remain inactive for and still be in your P4P list? 2 more years? Seems a bit much......

Thanks again for making the effort and your general input to the forum.
FartWristedBum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #701
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings:Mayweather & Pacquiao 1,2 @ WW again

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartWristedBum View Post
Hey all,
my thanks to McGrain and associates for starting this, a sound and comendable enterprise.
1 question though (and this is NOT a veiled dig at TBRB or Ward), I see A.Ward is #2 P4P still.
If Froch were to beat Groves and Chavez Jnr whilst Ward defends against a lower top 10 opponent @ SMW, would Ward still retain his P4P status above Froch? Even though many would consider Froch (should the two hypothetical victories happen) to be top in the SMW division?
How long is one allowed to "live off" former accomplishments before they are dropped in your rankings?
I know you allow for weight changes and injuries to an extent but it grates on me slightly that such an inactive fighter as Ward is hailed so highly P4P still.
How long could he remain inactive for and still be in your P4P list? 2 more years? Seems a bit much......

Thanks again for making the effort and your general input to the forum.
First a disclaimer --P4P List shouldn't be taken too seriously. They are an inexact science and often worse. There are different approaches to them which prejudice the results in no small way. Some will approach them as H2H hypotheticals (which I think is crazy); others will look at recent resume and still others consider overall resume (which really should pertain only to to ATG P4P Lists, lest Hopkins be our #1!)

We tend to look a recent resume, though "recent" is relative term. Some members tend to look at ring generalship though, which explains why Mayweather is #1. When we were fighting this out, Ward was very close to Floyd for the #1 slot --I was in that camp.

Ward cleaned out a division and has proven to be a dominant king. That defeat of the legit Light Heavyweight king was no small matter either. As for Froch -Froch looked less than he was against Groves but had help from a friend in a striped shirt. That's hardly an argument to see him rise in the rankings. And let's be honest -Froch isn't beating Ward unless Ward gets pneumonia mid-fight.

We have to consider that Ward has no one left in the division to fight. A lesser champion without the tourney that launched Ward would be boasting about being undefeated without half the contenders on Ward's resume. And if the media's chronic and often ****-eyed celebration of Mayweather is any hint, we'd all be saying "Amen."

We don't have a hard & fast rule about when a P4P guy drops down, but you can count on guys overtaking him eventually, despite the above excuses. Just because we don't automatically drop a guy after 8 months of inactivity doesn't mean his place is reserved.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #702
FartWristedBum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings:Mayweather & Pacquiao 1,2 @ WW again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post

Ward cleaned out a division and has proven to be a dominant king. That defeat of the [i]legit Light Heavyweight king[/I] was no small matter either. As for Froch -Froch looked less than he was against Groves but had help from a friend in a striped shirt. That's hardly an argument to see him rise in the rankings. And let's be honest -Froch isn't beating Ward unless Ward gets pneumonia mid-fight.

We have to consider that Ward has no one left in the division to fight. A lesser champion without the tourney that launched Ward would be boasting about being undefeated without half the contenders on Ward's resume. And if the media's chronic and often ****-eyed celebration of Mayweather is any hint, we'd all be saying "Amen."

We don't have a hard & fast rule about when a P4P guy drops down, but you can count on guys overtaking him eventually, despite the above excuses. Just because we don't automatically drop a guy after 8 months of inactivity doesn't mean his place is reserved.
OK fair enough, seems like p4p is not subject to the same mathematical scrutiny as the other rankings, that's cool, I would NEVER suggest I have either the drive nor capability to do these rankings anyway, just wanted to throw some questions out there in the spirit of fair play. Thanks for the quick response 'Stone Hands'.

A couple of points to consider perhaps (in bold) in the interest of fairness.

1) Ward never beat the "legit LHW king", otherwise he would have got legit LHW status, something he hasn't achieved. Dawson was a super-middle weight contender the night they fought.

2) Not sure Froch could never beat Ward, he wasn't close to getting stopped in my view and holds a good finishing instinct. He's by no means a favourite hypothetically, but a no-hoper he is not. Point being, styles-make-fights and just because you beat someone else vying for p4p shouldn't mean you can 'piggy-back' on their success against other fighters and sensibly remain above them IMO.

3) Ward has beaten good fighters yes, I agree, so have plenty of other boxers not on your p4p list though.....

4) Eventually could be a long time, 8 months of inactivity true, I'm not suggesting any change in the rankings per se, but aside from the inactivity, Ward has fought a contender in Dawson (since no unification was happening) and Rodriguez.
Bit unfair to say that beating George Groves is worth no rise in the rankings when Groves arguably would beat a 168 Dawson and Rodriguez also.

Anyway, cheers for the response, I'm really nit-picking and as you say p4p is a bit of a laugh really so please don't think I'm having a dig.

Thanks again
FartWristedBum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #703
jas
★ Legends: B-HOP ; PAC ★
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,080
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings:Mayweather & Pacquiao 1,2 @ WW again

Those are good welter rankings.
jas is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #704
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings:Mayweather & Pacquiao 1,2 @ WW again

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartWristedBum View Post
OK fair enough, seems like p4p is not subject to the same mathematical scrutiny as the other rankings, that's cool, I would NEVER suggest I have either the drive nor capability to do these rankings anyway, just wanted to throw some questions out there in the spirit of fair play. Thanks for the quick response 'Stone Hands'.

A couple of points to consider perhaps (in bold) in the interest of fairness.

1) Ward never beat the "legit LHW king", otherwise he would have got legit LHW status, something he hasn't achieved. Dawson was a super-middle weight contender the night they fought.

2) Not sure Froch could never beat Ward, he wasn't close to getting stopped in my view and holds a good finishing instinct. He's by no means a favourite hypothetically, but a no-hoper he is not. Point being, styles-make-fights and just because you beat someone else vying for p4p shouldn't mean you can 'piggy-back' on their success against other fighters and sensibly remain above them IMO.

3) Ward has beaten good fighters yes, I agree, so have plenty of other boxers not on your p4p list though.....

4) Eventually could be a long time, 8 months of inactivity true, I'm not suggesting any change in the rankings per se, but aside from the inactivity, Ward has fought a contender in Dawson (since no unification was happening) and Rodriguez.
Bit unfair to say that beating George Groves is worth no rise in the rankings when Groves arguably would beat a 168 Dawson and Rodriguez also.

Anyway, cheers for the response, I'm really nit-picking and as you say p4p is a bit of a laugh really so please don't think I'm having a dig.

Thanks again
Nah, the Transnational Rankings Board members are neither clannish nor snobbish, despite the rantings of at least one Molotov-bearing critic. At heart we're informed fans who appreciate the input of other informed fans to better the quality of the product. So, thank you.

I think Ward was crazy not to face Dawson for the LHW crown; but he did beat the legit LHW king, albeit at a catch-weight. The point stands, no?

Froch has neither the style, flexibility, or skill to take Ward. It's a classic styles-make-fights problem for Froch. I think Froch knows this very well. Ward is just too much for him.

You're a fan of Froch and that's great, but it seems to me that his peak is over and he's sliding. I'd bet on Groves in the rematch.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:32 AM   #705
gearproboxing
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Thumbs up Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dece Bal View Post
Good stuff, McG. How are the rankings made?
Transnational Ranking are done by asking members who are encouraged to apply criteria on who is the best one and the reason behind how the boxer is high, strong and advanced in his recent oppositions. How strong his career is in boxing and how long he is sturdy in his ring relationship. How he is using his tricks and tactics to accept all-corner from fighters.
gearproboxing is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015