Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieto, Faces Backlash

This seems something that could potentially backfire on Marquez's new-found hero status in Mexico. Marquez seems intelligent and aware enough to know what's going on in national politics at the moment. I'm not sure how buddy-buddy his is with the president or how committed he is to the party (after all, Duran was friendly with Noriega and didn't seem to take his human atrocities into account), but it seems odd that he'd support a party with a history of corruption and violence. Nieta's party was recently accused of buying votes, committing voter fraud, manipulating media promotion, and the police have arbitrarily detained many protesters among the tens of thousands protesting in the street.

Can the ESB Mexicans give some perspective? How are family and the masses in general feeling about Marquez now? ChingaTuMadreMarquez was trending on twitter after his ESPN Spanish interview in which he dedicated the fight to him. This picture on facebook has tons of controversial responses. This troubles me as someone who expresses solidarity with activists in Mexico and opposes the kind of oppressive shit Nieto promotes, but who also holds Marquez as a hero. Any perspective is appreciated.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Bogotazo; 12-15-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
BlueBottle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieta, Faces Backlash

Well I don't know much about the President of Mexico, but he can't be as bad as Hitler after Schmelling defeated Louis. I think it's one of those things that people do to celebrate with the Nation no matter of the politics because the President is the leader and symbolizes the Nation.
BlueBottle is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495
Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieta, Faces Backlash

Doesnt mean marquez agrees with the guys views. Look at how alot of athletes in the us meet with presidents from either party.
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Grillinnap
Flomos are morons
ESB Addict

vCash: 18446744073709551554

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnxhands View Post
Doesnt mean marquez agrees with the guys views. Look at how alot of athletes in the us meet with presidents from either party.

Tell that to Tim Thomas of the Boston Bruins.

BTW, that guy looks young for a president.
Grillinnap is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
JoeCamelTow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Marquez is just being honored by the President(representing MEXICO). Nothing else.
JoeCamelTow is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
El Fijador
¡Aguas! Donaire
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamelTow View Post
Marquez is just being honored by the President(representing MEXICO). Nothing else.
This... I didn't vote for Nieta myself, but if you want to advocate change then harping on this is a non-issue and waste of time.
El Fijador is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
.... but it seems odd that he'd support a party with a history of corruption and violence.
Not really.

Juan is a boxer. His entire world is full of corruption & violence. That pretty much sums up the sport.

Also, most pugilists aren't exactly Rhodes scholars. There's only one Vitali Klitschko.

Well OK, actually there's two, and the other one's named Wlad, but you know what I mean.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

He said he dedicated the fight to Nieta in his post-fight interview in Spanish with ESPN and gave him his gloves as a gift. I hope it's nothing more than cordial national pride, but in a time where so much turmoil and unrest is going in Mexico, it's hard to know what he's thinking. And lots of fans within Mexico are taking it seriously. For many, the election is more than just politics, it's real life consequences.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
recycling
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

What are you a pactards? Get over it ur hero got his ass knocked out cold. No wonder I hate these stupid pactards what else Marquez is superman?? Get out daughter
recycling is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycling View Post
What are you a pactards? Get over it ur hero got his ass knocked out cold. No wonder I hate these stupid pactards what else Marquez is superman?? Get out daughter
I'm the biggest Marquez fan on the forum go suck a dick dumbass.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
bballchamp11
Poster of the Year
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
I'm the biggest Marquez fan on the forum go suck a dick dumbass.
bballchamp11 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
Tkbtown
Quintuple champion
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 138

Ok guys, firts is not nieta his name is Enrique Peña Nieto (no nieta)
Marquez has been sopporting him since he was in campaing ,Marquez belongs to the PRI party (nothing wrong) same as 50 millions Mexicans , so whats the ****ing problem? ....asi que no esten mamando y dejense de chingaderas cabrones al rato le van a querer criticar hasta de la manera en que se tira los pedos
Tkbtown is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkbtown View Post
Ok guys, firts is not nieta his name is Enrique Peña Nieto (no nieta)
Marquez has been sopporting him since he was in campaing ,Marquez belongs to the PRI party (nothing wrong) same as 50 millions Mexicans , so whats the ****ing problem?
The history:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlatelolco_massacre[/ame]

The current turmoil and controversy:

The backlash:

Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Grillinnap
Flomos are morons
ESB Addict

vCash: 18446744073709551554
Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieto, Faces Backlash

Does Felipe Calderon still live in Mexico? Those cartels are gonna be really after him now, knowing he doesn't have the security he used to have as the president.
Grillinnap is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
gyll
Undetectable
ESB Addict

Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieto, Faces Backlash

He's still an ATG. Fans' butthurt tears don't erase JMM's accomplishments. Mexicans are being overly sensitive here. I couldn't care less if they jumped off Juan's ship. They were never really fair to Marquez anyway. Canelo and Chavez Jr haven't done shit yet are bigger stars than Juan. Hell, even after WrapGate Margarito had a bigger fanbase than Marquez. That says it all right there.

Last edited by gyll; 12-15-2012 at 03:02 AM.
gyll is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum