Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Dynamito_2012
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default I thought Virgil Hunter was teaching Khan how to avoid the hook...WTF happened?

WTF happened last night? From what I saw on the build up programme to Khan/Molina, it looked like Hunter was helping Khan avoid the hook.

Dynamito_2012 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: I thought Virgil Hunter was teaching Khan how to avoid the hook...WTF happened?

8 weeks happened.

You expect a completely different fighter in that time?

Kahn did show some very minor improvement, both in his right-hand position and in his ring generalship. Give Hunter some time, fer chrissakes
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
21mvo
Journeyman

Default Re: I thought Virgil Hunter was teaching Khan how to avoid the hook...WTF happened?

Well it has been only one camp as opposed to years of training with other trainers and different fight styles. I don't think it was fair to expect Khan to be radically different last night thus the easy hand-picked opponent w/ no power (just in case a left hook does land). I think with more camps under Virgil he'll show how he's improved/better defense against that left hook.
21mvo is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
rjjftw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Amir tends to get a bit lost in these exchanges. He needs to really cut down on those flurries. Keep it predominantly to jabs and 1-2s. Its easy to defend against hooks when your doing mitt work and everything is predictably timed.

He really needs to tuck in that chin and have his right hand firmly concealing his jaw. Its still early days with virgil so his progression is far from complete.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Not good at all
rjjftw is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Dynamito_2012
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Oh sure, when he was on the ropes he covered up well and was landing some back on the inside. And he was using that reach technique with his leading arm that I saw Hunter teaching him. But he got hit one shot too many from Molina, which is something him and Hunter should be thoroughly analysing and correcting. Khan has not got the power to command respect from opponents, so he needs to correct this ASAP before he comes up against a pressure fighter with a chin and power.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Dynamito_2012
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Not sure why he keeps over committing with his punches. He should thrown a 1 & 2 then got out of there, or doubled up the jab and thrown a straight, then got out of there. He tends to throw one punch too many. I have no idea why, but maybe it's because he's too fast for his own good. He showed great boxing ability when he first started training with Roach, but since the Peterson fight, it's all gone downhill.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Calm the **** down, people. He's only had one camp with Virgil. Just one. You expect him to become immune to the left hook -- which has been his kryptonite his whole career -- in just 9 ****ing weeks? Of course he was gonna' get caught with it last night. It's the punch he's most susceptible to. And guess what, he'll get caught with it in future fights too. Save yourself the disappointment and don't expect Virgil to work miracles with him.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Dynamito_2012
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I wish he'd get rid of that stupid entrance tune as well. "AMIR KHAAAN! AND I'M KNOCKING EM OUT!" He isn't knocking anyone out.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
rjjftw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamito_2012 View Post
i wish he'd get rid of that stupid entrance tune as well. "amir khaaan! And i'm knocking em out!" he isn't knocking anyone out.
i wanna hear you shout!

Amir khaaaaann and im in it for life!

Got my riders locked down and im ready to fight!
rjjftw is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
osirus0830
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 645

I think it's clear that Hunter shits on Roach as a trainer. In just 8 weeks, Amir actually looked like he had some idea of what to do when fighting on the inside. He had 0 inside game when he was with Roach.
osirus0830 is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

If Molina wasnt a blown up feather fisted lightweight

oibighead is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Scar
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamito_2012 View Post
WTF happened last night? From what I saw on the build up programme to Khan/Molina, it looked like Hunter was helping Khan avoid the hook.

You expect Virgil Hunter to miraculously change Khan after one training camp? Fact is, no one will change Khan at this stage. He has been fighting this way his entire career. Roach came in to change him, all he was able to do is add some improvement but nothing else.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
JohnnyDrama99
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamito_2012 View Post

I believe Roach said that Hunter couldn't change Khan's character as a fighter. Meaning whenever Amir smells blood, gets hit or hurt, he wants to respond right away. It's hard for a fighter like Amir to keep a level head and stick to a gameplan becuase he is an emotional fighter. That makes him exciting to watch but could be what causes his career to fall short of greatness. If he could harness his emotions while in a fight and learn to turn it off and on at the right times he could reach the levels some expect from him.
JohnnyDrama99 is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Leif Erikson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

An world renowned quantum mechanic could train me for years, but I'm never going to end up working on the Large Hadron Collider. If it's not you, it's not you. Khan will never have a good defence.
Leif Erikson is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
SUGAR J
P4P KING
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oibighead View Post
If Molina wasnt a blown up feather fisted lightweight

SUGAR J is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum