Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
lurcher
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: norfolk,england
Posts: 165
vCash: 1000
Default amir khans chin........again?

i know this topic has been debated to death, but i am trying to work out how amir gets bashed out by prescott and danny garcia but sandwiched in between he takes maidanas best shots(my favourite in particular is the overhand right).
can you put it down to sharing a pint of bulls blood with manny, shredded wheat or does a KO shot have to be fluid and aimed through the target as opposed to more of a clubbing/thumping punch.
how did he find that punch resistance and then lose it.
lurcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Paup snith
P4P most avoided champ
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dark side of the moon
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

I don't think he really found punch resistance. He rode his luck in the last two rounds v maidana, which is where the belief in the chin came from. It's always going to be an issue for him. If he had the brain, he'd box to his strengths and box to protect his weaknesses (chin). The problem he has is that he doesn't have an amazing ring IQ. However, i ****ing love watching him because he likes to get in volved, and has excellent shot selections, and punches impressively in bunches when in range.
Paup snith is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
lurcher
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: norfolk,england
Posts: 165
vCash: 1000
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

i have warmed to him because he is busy and obviously loves the sport.
he is just not the brightest like you say.
one minute he says he will box molina and dominate with the jab and win boring if he has to...........next minute he says he is gonna knock himout.
lurcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
mani0
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 1000
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

The same question could be asked about Kevin Mitchell he got past Prescott but got battered by a guy with single digit KO%
mani0 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
lurcher
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: norfolk,england
Posts: 165
vCash: 1000
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

kevin mitchell is another one who is not the sharpest knife in the box just not as busy
lurcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
ElCep
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

He lost to Garcia because he didn't fight intelligently, not because he has an average-to-poor punch resistance (which, of course, he does). I don't know really, not to tar Lewis with the same brush, but he was brutally knocked out by Rahman but then Vitali landed absolute bombs, and Lewis took 'em. That's boxing I suppose, unpredictable and nonsensical!
ElCep is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
No Fear
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 967
vCash: 1000
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
i know this topic has been debated to death, but i am trying to work out how amir gets bashed out by prescott and danny garcia but sandwiched in between he takes maidanas best shots(my favourite in particular is the overhand right).
can you put it down to sharing a pint of bulls blood with manny, shredded wheat or does a KO shot have to be fluid and aimed through the target as opposed to more of a clubbing/thumping punch.
how did he find that punch resistance and then lose it.
He got up after the first knockdown against both Prescott and Garcia.

The differences between the three fights (inc. Maidana) are that:

Khan had no idea how to survive and what to do when hurt - Prescott;
Khan was allowed to excessively hold and clinch - Maidana; and
Khan did not do enough to survive. He stood in range and attempted to fire back - Garcia.

Cortez let Khan get away with doing whatever he wanted to do in there - that's the difference - it just gave Khan enough to be able to ride out the storm.

I wonder whether the Peterson debacle played on Khan's mind because I don't recall Khan trying to push Garcia away as much I would have expected him to do.
No Fear is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 14,971
vCash: 238
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

People know nothing about chins or punch resistance.

It's amazing how so many people, even boxers, think you can actually rate or rank a chin. The other guy is wearing 8oz gloves trying to take your head off! Shit, just because the damn boxer gets hurt or stopped, even in more than one fight, does not bloody mean their chin or resistance is bad. We're not machines.

No one is built to withstand a full shot with an 8oz glove. Tell me how it feels to get slapped and tell me that doesn't hurt.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Mrtibbs
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 1615
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paup snith View Post
I don't think he really found punch resistance. He rode his luck in the last two rounds v maidana, which is where the belief in the chin came from. It's always going to be an issue for him. If he had the brain, he'd box to his strengths and box to protect his weaknesses (chin). The problem he has is that he doesn't have an amazing ring IQ. However, i ****ing love watching him because he likes to get in volved, and has excellent shot selections, and punches impressively in bunches when in range.

This.

I am a Khan Fan and have watched every one of his fights from Olympics to current date. I have seen him grow as a fighter, but i have never seen his Chin "Improve".

If he gets hit flush he buckles, wobbles, and has an instant fight back reaction. Great for us a fans, But not for him as a boxer.
Mrtibbs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Mrtibbs
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 1615
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
People know nothing about chins or punch resistance.

It's amazing how so many people, even boxers, think you can actually rate or rank a chin. The other guy is wearing 8oz gloves trying to take your head off! Shit, just because the damn boxer gets hurt or stopped, even in more than one fight, does not bloody mean their chin or resistance is bad. We're not machines.

No one is built to withstand a full shot with an 8oz glove. Tell me how it feels to get slapped and tell me that doesn't hurt.

And i dont agree with this statement.

You are kind of making it sound like everyone was born with an equal punch resistance, which clearly isnt true. Of course you can rank a Chin. Any variable can be ranked.

Tell me why Marquez, Mosely, Margecheato and may others have never been KO'D?
Mrtibbs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Hitmanfan
KO King
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Merseyshite
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

Margocheato was Ko'd by Mosley
Hitmanfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,893
vCash: 75
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

Quote:
i am trying to work out how amir gets bashed out by prescott and danny garcia but sandwiched in between he takes maidanas best shots
The Prescott and Garcia punches were early on in the fight and maybe thrown with a bit more might? Maidana was a bit tired by the time he got Khan in the 10th, and sometimes punches aren't always consistent in the way they rattle you. Maidana's shot, by chance, just probably never managed to disturb the brain's signal to Khan's legs hard enough; allowing Khan to stay upright and not let his legs go beneath him. Prescott and Garcia's, on the other hand, hit the spot perfectly to do the job.

Khan's chin is weak. No denying it.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Under the floorboards
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 75
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

Depends if he sees it, where it lands, how he's standing etc.

he DOES have an average-poor chin, but there's likely plenty of others who just haven't been caught with the same shots.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 14,971
vCash: 238
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtibbs View Post
And i dont agree with this statement.

You are kind of making it sound like everyone was born with an equal punch resistance, which clearly isnt true. Of course you can rank a Chin. Any variable can be ranked.

Tell me why Marquez, Mosely, Margecheato and may others have never been KO'D?
That's not what I'm saying at all. ANYONE can get knocked out or stopped. Absolutely no one expected Pacquaio to get knocked out like he did. Is his punch resistance or chin weak? No, he just got caught by a shot in the face with the full force of a 8oz gloves smashing into him that he never saw.

A chin isn't a variable, man, come on. I've studied the human body enough to know that you aren't built to take a flippin' shot with an 8oz glove, but you can prepare for it and if you are trained right, then you can take them depending on the situation around you.. It's not down to how strong your chin is. There's liabilities in getting knocked out or stopped, not because the chin or punch resistance is weak.

Tell me why they haven't been KO'd? Ok, tell me why Katsidis heavily dropped Marquez but Pacquiao, who is arguably a harder puncher, could not? Again, liabilities.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,893
vCash: 75
Default Re: amir khans chin........again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That's not what I'm saying at all. ANYONE can get knocked out or stopped. Absolutely no one expected Pacquaio to get knocked out like he did. Is his punch resistance or chin weak? No, he just got caught by a shot in the face with the full force of a 8oz gloves smashing into him that he never saw.

A chin isn't a variable, man, come on. I've studied the human body enough to know that you aren't built to take a flippin' shot with an 8oz glove, but you can prepare for it and if you are trained right, then you can take them depending on the situation around you.. It's not down to how strong your chin is. There's liabilities in getting knocked out or stopped, not because the chin or punch resistance is weak.

Tell me why they haven't been KO'd? Ok, tell me why Katsidis heavily dropped Marquez but Pacquiao, who is arguably a harder puncher, could not? Again, liabilities.
Laz man, let it go.

Of course a chin isn't designed to get punched, and a human being will react negatively when hit there. But exactly how that person reacts (punch resistence), varies between people. Some are worse than others. Hate to sound like a chinchecker fag, but the evidence is out there and it's irrefutable.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013