Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Bad Boyz
Sportscenter
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 162
Default Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Tommorow, Cotto-Trout turns 2 weeks old and it seems like an eternity ago. No one talks about Cotto's future and the Pacquiao-Marquez fight erase any conversation about him immediately. Let's put up some reasons to explain why the retirement is the best decision for Miguel Cotto, as the waters are completely calm.

A) Legacy: For many he's a first ballot HOFer, so there's no reason to keep fighting and damaging your legacy. He has nothing to prove, and the money fights on the horizon are all losses if he takes them (Canelo, Floyd II, Trout II or Pacquiao II). Despite many will say "he can keep on his legacy is assured", I don't care, walking away from the sport is the correct decision (and he avoids becoming a Roy Jones or a Shane Mosley for example).

B) Punishment: Throughout his career, Cotto took a lot of punishment, something the people finally realized when he lost for the first time against Margarito. Since that time, we saw in 2009 how Clottey took him to the final bell in a very close fight (which I saw Clottey winning by a point), and Pacquiao beating him so badly, that by the 6th round Cotto started to fight on survival mode. "Resurrection" begins in 2010, as Cotto moves up to 154 and beats WBA champ Yuri Foreman, the only fight of that year. Then, 2011 was the "let's-milk-that-belt year" in which he took a retired Mayorga and a rematch 3.5 years later against Margarito (I have to say that they fooled me on that one at the point that I thought Margo can beat him). And 2012 finally proves that he must go away. Losing to a welterweight in Floyd Mayweather, and probably the only natural Jr. Middle that he fought in his 3 year stint in the division in Austin Trout. As he took more punishment than expected and gives the allusion that he faded even earlier than he fades, he simply has to go away.

C) Personal Economy: Coming from a career best year, making $18 million this year while losing twice, Cotto has his own promotional company, gas stations and a few properties to take care of. Just go out and invest on your things. I know that he probably deserves more money for what he has done, but at the expense of getting stopped by Saul Alvarez or losing 9-10 more rounds against Mayweather, no please.

D) Achievements: He already fought Judah, Mosley, Margarito (2x), Clottey, Pacquiao, Mayorga, Mayweather and others. A three division, four-time world champion who spent an undefeated 18 months, 6 fights reign at 140. A reign of 19 months (6 fights) at 147, and 3 year stint at 154 in which he made the most money of his career.

There's nothing left to prove, a man who stood out there against the best, gave the boxing world the best he could every single night, has fought in a weight he never should have gone up and he's paying it now for doing so. Just go now before it becomes too late that nobody wants to see him, if he wants to fight for money fine, but he'll taste the canvas multiple times and with no wins to show for. A move to welterweight is too late, so don't pay attention to those who want him to do that because they aren't the ones taking the punches, his defense is at the worst moment, walk away and live your life please.
Bad Boyz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
bobotnaman
★★★★☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,780
vCash: 117
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

he's still young though. he's like what 33? still had a few fights left in him, he just needs to go back at welter.
bobotnaman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
RobertV77
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Boyz View Post
Tommorow, Cotto-Trout turns 2 weeks old and it seems like an eternity ago. No one talks about Cotto's future and the Pacquiao-Marquez fight erase any conversation about him immediately. Let's put up some reasons to explain why the retirement is the best decision for Miguel Cotto, as the waters are completely calm.

A) Legacy: For many he's a first ballot HOFer, so there's no reason to keep fighting and damaging your legacy. He has nothing to prove, and the money fights on the horizon are all losses if he takes them (Canelo, Floyd II, Trout II or Pacquiao II). Despite many will say "he can keep on his legacy is assured", I don't care, walking away from the sport is the correct decision (and he avoids becoming a Roy Jones or a Shane Mosley for example).

B) Punishment: Throughout his career, Cotto took a lot of punishment, something the people finally realized when he lost for the first time against Margarito. Since that time, we saw in 2009 how Clottey took him to the final bell in a very close fight (which I saw Clottey winning by a point), and Pacquiao beating him so badly, that by the 6th round Cotto started to fight on survival mode. "Resurrection" begins in 2010, as Cotto moves up to 154 and beats WBA champ Yuri Foreman, the only fight of that year. Then, 2011 was the "let's-milk-that-belt year" in which he took a retired Mayorga and a rematch 3.5 years later against Margarito (I have to say that they fooled me on that one at the point that I thought Margo can beat him). And 2012 finally proves that he must go away. Losing to a welterweight in Floyd Mayweather, and probably the only natural Jr. Middle that he fought in his 3 year stint in the division in Austin Trout. As he took more punishment than expected and gives the allusion that he faded even earlier than he fades, he simply has to go away.

C) Personal Economy: Coming from a career best year, making $18 million this year while losing twice, Cotto has his own promotional company, gas stations and a few properties to take care of. Just go out and invest on your things. I know that he probably deserves more money for what he has done, but at the expense of getting stopped by Saul Alvarez or losing 9-10 more rounds against Mayweather, no please.

D) Achievements: He already fought Judah, Mosley, Margarito (2x), Clottey, Pacquiao, Mayorga, Mayweather and others. A three division, four-time world champion who spent an undefeated 18 months, 6 fights reign at 140. A reign of 19 months (6 fights) at 147, and 3 year stint at 154 in which he made the most money of his career.

There's nothing left to prove, a man who stood out there against the best, gave the boxing world the best he could every single night, has fought in a weight he never should have gone up and he's paying it now for doing so. Just go now before it becomes too late that nobody wants to see him, if he wants to fight for money fine, but he'll taste the canvas multiple times and with no wins to show for. A move to welterweight is too late, so don't pay attention to those who want him to do that because they aren't the ones taking the punches, his defense is at the worst moment, walk away and live your life please.


Who did he ever beat? He was never a legit champ at any weight. The win over mosley was razor thin and honestly I think is was a close but clear win for mosley. I'll agree he can retire and be ahead of the game right now but I fail to see why people are so worked up about a guy who two decades ago would have been little more than a classy contender. Guys like Trinidad, DLH, and many others would have blown through him if they fought as prime welterweights.
RobertV77 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 75
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

I still would like to see Cotto-Marquez if not Cotto or Marquez-Bradley still many good fights around, including Alvarez, Martinez, etc. Don't discount a big name theres $$ to be made
megavolt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Bad Boyz
Sportscenter
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 162
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobotnaman View Post
he's still young though. he's like what 33? still had a few fights left in him, he just needs to go back at welter.
He said he was going at age 30, here he is at age 32.

Going back to welter?
Bad Boyz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Bad Boyz
Sportscenter
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 162
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV77 View Post
Who did he ever beat? He was never a legit champ at any weight. The win over mosley was razor thin and honestly I think is was a close but clear win for mosley. I'll agree he can retire and be ahead of the game right now but I fail to see why people are so worked up about a guy who two decades ago would have been little more than a classy contender. Guys like Trinidad, DLH, and many others would have blown through him if they fought as prime welterweights.
I somewhat agree with you. That's why I said that "for many" he is a HOFer. I saw Cotto clearly winning 115-113 over Mosley. And about the rest there's nothing to be added. But no doubt he took the challenges they put him in front with no excuses, despite he became a crying baby nowadays after a defeat.

Last edited by Bad Boyz; 12-15-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Bad Boyz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Bad Boyz
Sportscenter
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 162
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt View Post
I still would like to see Cotto-Marquez if not Cotto or Marquez-Bradley still many good fights around, including Alvarez, Martinez, etc. Don't discount a big name theres $$ to be made
I know that there's good money to be made, and you know what? He losses to all of them right now. And probably gets Pacquiao'd by both Canelo and Sergio.
Bad Boyz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
tonys333
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 577
vCash: 189
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

i think maybe he should retire he has nothing left to prove but there is some good fights for him he could get some guys to come to him at 154 if he doesnt want to go back to 147 such as berto or ortiz am sure they would jump at the chance to fight cotto an if he does come down agen there is marquez an bradley maybe khan but i dont see the point it looks like floyd will fight canelo so that fight has gone for cotto an he wont get a pac an may fight agen be sad to see him go tho.
tonys333 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Bad Boyz
Sportscenter
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 162
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys333 View Post
i think maybe he should retire he has nothing left to prove but there is some good fights for him he could get some guys to come to him at 154 if he doesnt want to go back to 147 such as berto or ortiz am sure they would jump at the chance to fight cotto an if he does come down agen there is marquez an bradley maybe khan but i dont see the point it looks like floyd will fight canelo so that fight has gone for cotto an he wont get a pac an may fight agen be sad to see him go tho.
Berto and Ortiz are good winnable fights, but none of them guarantees him 5 million at this point. Both Marquez and Bradley beat him right now like I said, he's badly damaged his last fight proves it. A Khan fight I don't think is even on the map but he wins it.
Bad Boyz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
See Me Flow
The Pharaoh of Boxing
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Clarita, CA.
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

It may be time for Cotto to hang it up
See Me Flow is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Godhead
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Godhead is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Ianian58
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
vCash: 300
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Agreed completely. He may be 32, but on all the war he's fought he's practically 37.
Ianian58 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
tonys333
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 577
vCash: 189
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Boyz View Post
Berto and Ortiz are good winnable fights, but none of them guarantees him 5 million at this point. Both Marquez and Bradley beat him right now like I said, he's badly damaged his last fight proves it. A Khan fight I don't think is even on the map but he wins it.

ye thats why i think he should retire an enjoy the rest of his life with his family he doesnt want to lose to someone he would have beat in his prime such as bradley but it would still be sad to see him go cotto is a great fighter an this is just my opinion but i would love to see him beat khan.
tonys333 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 16,563
vCash: 0
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Cotto just needs to select his opponents better. Short guys, short reach, lacking in speed. Get an opponent who meets these three and he's good to go.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 7,488
vCash: 248
Default Re: Why Miguel Cotto should retire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV77 View Post
Who did he ever beat? He was never a legit champ at any weight. The win over mosley was razor thin and honestly I think is was a close but clear win for mosley. I'll agree he can retire and be ahead of the game right now but I fail to see why people are so worked up about a guy who two decades ago would have been little more than a classy contender. Guys like Trinidad, DLH, and many others would have blown through him if they fought as prime welterweights.
No offense but, seriously? Just because some of his opponents weren't household names doesn't mean they weren't highly regarded when he beat them.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013