Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001
Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieta, Faces Backlash

Pretty sure most athletes would go if they were getting honored by their government, even if said goverment is something they dont agree with in principle.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
Tkbtown
Quintuple champion
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 158
Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieto, Faces Backlash

Bogotazo
I am a real Mexican living in Mexico, I know very well what happens there, thanks god we are not onother cuba, we were very close in the 60's to be a communist country .
Tkbtown is online now  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieto, Faces Backlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkbtown View Post
Bogotazo
I am a real Mexican living in Mexico, I know very well what happens there, thanks god we are not onother cuba, we were very close in the 60's to be a communist country .
You're opinion does not represent every segment of Mexico's population.

I'm not hear to debate politics alone, I'm here to discuss how close JMM is to the PRI, how upset people are with the events surrounding the reelection of the PRI (which evidently is a lot), and how it's visibly affecting Marquez's connection with fans within the country.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #19
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
This seems something that could potentially backfire on Marquez's new-found hero status in Mexico. Marquez seems intelligent and aware enough to know what's going on in national politics at the moment. I'm not sure how buddy-buddy his is with the president or how committed he is to the party (after all, Duran was friendly with Noriega and didn't seem to take his human atrocities into account), but it seems odd that he'd support a party with a history of corruption and violence. Nieta's party was recently accused of buying votes, committing voter fraud, manipulating media promotion, and the police have arbitrarily detained many protesters among the tens of thousands protesting in the street.

Can the ESB Mexicans give some perspective? How are family and the masses in general feeling about Marquez now? ChingaTuMadreMarquez was trending on twitter after his ESPN Spanish interview in which he dedicated the fight to him. This picture on facebook has tons of controversial responses. This troubles me as someone who expresses solidarity with activists in Mexico and opposes the kind of oppressive shit Nieta promotes, but who also holds Marquez as a hero. Any perspective is appreciated.
you could put this into perspective....
despite your feelings on your own president... if he invited you to a public meeting and pics, is that something you would DECLINE? Regardless of your position of the matter, it is an honor to do that.
If you were such a hero of the country because of your victories in an international sport, you would have quite a bit of pressure to meet with the president, as a dutiful public figure.

JMM does the right thing, regardless of his stance/feelings to the president, as a national hero and dutiful countryman.
Step out of your little esb bubble for once!
Skilletscuz is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
#Tremendous
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I'm sure a few people in Mexico don't like him because he doesn't support "their team" just like I'm sure alot of Barack Obama fans were turned off by Manny and the Romney thing.

No big deal.
#Tremendous is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #21
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletscuz View Post
you could put this into perspective....
despite your feelings on your own president... if he invited you to a public meeting and pics, is that something you would DECLINE? Regardless of your position of the matter, it is an honor to do that.
If you were such a hero of the country because of your victories in an international sport, you would have quite a bit of pressure to meet with the president, as a dutiful public figure.

JMM does the right thing, regardless of his stance/feelings to the president, as a national hero and dutiful countryman.
Step out of your little esb bubble for once!
Read the thread, JMM wasn't randomly invited, he verbally dedicated the fight to him, has supported the PRI, and offered to give him his gloves from the fight. I don't think it's safe to assume it's only cordial respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Tremendous View Post
I'm sure a few people in Mexico don't like him because he doesn't support "their team" just like I'm sure alot of Barack Obama fans were turned off by Manny and the Romney thing.

No big deal.
That could be true, but those two don't have any meaningful ties, and certainly not in the context of insurrection and arrests being made within a shared country.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #22
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

This is no different than Chavez meeting Salinas. Everyone initially thought Sr. was in cahoots with this sleezebag. The fact is that Salinas took advantage of Chavez' ignorance(excuse the term) and used him as a pawn for public relations.
Son of Gaul is online now  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #23
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Read the thread, JMM wasn't randomly invited, he verbally dedicated the fight to him, has supported the PRI, and offered to give him his gloves from the fight. I don't think it's safe to assume it's only cordial respect.

That could be true, but those two don't have any meaningful ties, and certainly not in the context of insurrection and arrests being made within a shared country.
Well, maybe this was different than Chavez visiting Salinas lol...
Son of Gaul is online now  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #24
PhilthyRich
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
This seems something that could potentially backfire on Marquez's new-found hero status in Mexico. Marquez seems intelligent and aware enough to know what's going on in national politics at the moment. I'm not sure how buddy-buddy his is with the president or how committed he is to the party (after all, Duran was friendly with Noriega and didn't seem to take his human atrocities into account), but it seems odd that he'd support a party with a history of corruption and violence. Nieta's party was recently accused of buying votes, committing voter fraud, manipulating media promotion, and the police have arbitrarily detained many protesters among the tens of thousands protesting in the street.

Can the ESB Mexicans give some perspective? How are family and the masses in general feeling about Marquez now? ChingaTuMadreMarquez was trending on twitter after his ESPN Spanish interview in which he dedicated the fight to him. This picture on facebook has tons of controversial responses. This troubles me as someone who expresses solidarity with activists in Mexico and opposes the kind of oppressive shit Nieta promotes, but who also holds Marquez as a hero. Any perspective is appreciated.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Cheats stick with cheats. Dam look at the size of his head
PhilthyRich is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #25
Tkbtown
Quintuple champion
ESB Jr Member

Well ,my opinion represents the majority of the Mexican people, thats why Peņa Nieto was elected ( althougt I voted for Josefina) the rest is bull shit, Marquez can belongs to any political party if he wants.is his rigth
so dont bull shit me pretending yo support Lopez Obrador by the way he was part of the PRI man I know very well this ****ing Mexican politics they are all same corrupts ,but this is a boxing forum .....no quiero discutir contigo piensa lo que quieras pero los ,cabrones que defiendes tambien estan llenos de dolares... y las manos llenas de sangre
Old 12-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #26
Tkbtown
Quintuple champion
ESB Jr Member

If the Mexican president invites you in public and you dont show up, you will be in deep shit
Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #27
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

Perhaps JMM is angling for a spot in politics. Have to kiss the right arses to get there.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #28
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkbtown View Post
Well ,my opinion represents the majority of the Mexican people, thats why Peņa Nieto was elected ( althougt I voted for Josefina) the rest is bull shit, Marquez can belongs to any political party if he wants.is his rigth
so dont bull shit me pretending yo support Lopez Obrador by the way he was part of the PRI man I know very well this ****ing Mexican politics they are all same corrupts ,but this is a boxing forum .....no quiero discutir contigo piensa lo que quieras pero los ,cabrones que defiendes tambien estan llenos de dolares... y las manos llenas de sangre
You need to calm down my friend. No defiendo a nadie ni estoy demostrando apollo para ningun partido politico en Mexico...nadie le esta negando el derecho de Marquez a apollar su candidato preferido...el punto que quiero expresar es este solamente:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Well, maybe this was different than Chavez visiting Salinas lol...
Only point I'm trying to explore. Mexican fans seem upset, I'm curious as to what extent they are, and to what extent JMM is aware of it and the reasoning behind it.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #29
HellSpawn86
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:

Well Bogo I overall understand your concern. Having family from Mexico and studying Latin American history in undergrad Mexico has been in a downward spiral for the past few decades. I personally point to the NAFTA agreement.

Marquez is a great boxer, likable guy, very ring intelligent, and articulate out of the ring. Seems he is smart with math too, I remember a 24/7 showing he studied accounting. It would be nice to think he is on the same page politically, but usually you are not going to have everything in common with a person. Same with Pac, nice guy, very giving in person, but I don't agree with his conservative politics.

I can't speak for Mexican citizens, especially since I haven't been recently, but I will explain a few things from experience that hopefully help. Things in Mexico are much like the US. Most people don't vote and are not political. For the most part with the conversations I've had, most people don't trust the government and see it as futile to do anything about it. The government doesn't do much for the people so most people rely on themselves. I've met a lot of handy people who taught themselves how things work just so they can get by day to day. This has led to a generally conservative mind set.

Marquez comes from humble beginnings. He pretty much worked his way up to the pay days he is getting. I would not doubt he feels entitled for the work he has done, and he definitely deserves his pay days. In the boxing world it's dog eat dog, so it's either eat or be eaten. I don't know if he is enlightened to the notion that a lot of small people were stepped on along the way or how the power structures try to keep a status quo.

Anyhow, I don't think Marquez is a very political person with regards to researching what these politicians are doing. I think he just hears the message and sees some of the carrots these politicians have given the masses. I'm trying to remember what fight it was, but Marquez had also dedicated another fight to Calderon and had met with him as well. Calderon was part of the PAN and their paty have been at odds with the PRI for a very long time. I think he mostly sees this as a massive honor and he wants to share it with the country. Meeting the president is about as big as it gets, especially if you are trying to share your victory and recognition you have worked your whole life to get. For Mexicans in general, nationalistic pride is bigger than party differences. This for most this is another carrot to work hard.

Anyhow ESB isn't the best place to get political information, haha.
HellSpawn86 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #30
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez meets with Mexico President Nieta, Faces Backlash

Quote:
He said he dedicated the fight to Nieta in his post-fight interview in Spanish with ESPN and gave him his gloves as a gift. I hope it's nothing more than cordial national pride, but in a time where so much turmoil and unrest is going in Mexico, it's hard to know what he's thinking. And lots of fans within Mexico are taking it seriously. For many, the election is more than just politics, it's real life consequences.
Do you know much about politics in Mexico? I dont really, but I do know that the turd thats accusing Nieto of buying votes is the same turd that accused the former Mexican president of the same thing.
The same turd that ran against this current president and the last.

Some turd with the last name Obrador who's butt hurt he's lost two consecutive elections.

Obrador if you have'nt heard is buddy buddy with the likes of Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez. That should be all you need to know to figure out JMM is in the right to be respectful of his president and offer the gloves that knocked out Manny Pacquiao.
When an athlete offers the president the gloves like that, the gesture is of letting all of Mexico have them. It does not mean Marquez is on one side of a party of another.

Excuse JMM for being respectful to the president of the country he loves!
divac is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum