Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Thumbs up The Final Call: Larry Merchant

Tonight will be Larry's final time calling the action for HBO. Post your memories and thoughts on Merchant.

I for one will miss him even though he pissed me off at times his dry sense of humor and no nonsense approach has made for epic television. From his beef with Mayweather to his mocking of George Foreman he's been great value.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Default Re: The Final Call: Larry Merchant

''This is the way it has to end'' that for me was one of the greatest quotes in a fight ever. It was timed to perfection, it was the right call as well. It snatched the moment.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLZ38GnJ9xw[/ame]
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

I can't think of a specific example at the moment mate but I just associate the man with my love of the sport.

Over the last twenty years I purchased loads of my fights from those 'businesses' advertised in the back of Boxing Monthly.

I spent hundreds of pounds (most likely more though!) on fights from the USA in particular and I was always so excited to watch them when they arrived (this was before fights were so 'accessible' on the internet) .

Just about all the big ones were on HBO and I loved the style of the american broadcasts; Larry and Jim just made it all so special for me.

For me he is forever linked with my formative years of falling in love with this the greatest of sports.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Awful commentator,takes 2 minutes to say a few words,shit commentator who use to come out with random gibberish,then after a fighter has fought his heart out gets in the ring and disrespects them with wise ass remarks and little digs and stupid questions,first time I ever heard or seen Larry was around 1998 and I couldnt believe this guy was on Hbo,old guy who speaks really slow,sounds drunk a lot of the time,and the majority of fighters hate Larry..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Merchant was always a really good commentator. With most commentators, you either get a good personality or boxing knowledge. Guys like Gus Johnson are good to listen to, yet they don't know much about the history of the sport. Guys like Bob Mee are knowledgeable yet dull. Merchant was one of a very small group who was knowledgeable about the history of the sport and yet put his opinions forward in an entertaining way.

The commentary team of Merchant, Lampley, Steward and Lederman was perfect, I think. The best commentary I've ever heard in boxing. Those four had so much enthusiasm and experience in the sport, and all were easy to listen to.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

No matter if you liked him or not, you could respect that he called it like he saw it. If it was a shit fight, it was a shit fight, and Larry made those shit fights a bit more enjoyable.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

I respect Merchant for his undoubted knowledge of the sport but I can't wait to see him go. He'd be a good boxing journalist IMO, writing articles for magazines or newspapers covering fights like Steve Bunce or Jeff Powell. Being on TV as an actual commentator though, he's always been God-awful and it's amazed me why HBO have had him on for so long.

When he talks it's like he's speaking in slow-motion, that's no good for a commentator, especially when a fight is high-paced. His voice could be used to put baby to sleep.

Apart from Manny Steward I've never liked HBO's commentary team at all, Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman are a pair of absolute clueless gobshites. Roy Jones isn't bad though.

Last edited by PaulieMc; 12-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I wish I was 50 years younger and Id kick your ass.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Low blow
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1515

I was unaware that this was his last call. That is so sad. I love Larry. I understand he is usually drunk and his stories are sometimes slow and don't make sense but he is entertaining.

Sometimes he crosses the line but that just makes for good TV.

One time after Wlad lost to Brewster (maybe it was Sanders) Larry said something like:
A disgrace to his trainer, his country, and his family.
Low blow is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
No matter if you liked him or not, you could respect that he called it like he saw it. If it was a shit fight, it was a shit fight, and Larry made those shit fights a bit more enjoyable.
Exactly. I'm sick of people like Adam Smith bite their tongue all the time. If it's a boring fight, Merchant would rip the fighters for it whereas someone like Smith will say "not the most entertaining fight between the young prospect and teak tough Ghanaian" in his typical dull fashion. You need characters on TV and Merchant is one.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

i don't care if he 'said it as it is' he is ****ing awful and i for 1 will be glad when he is retired
everytime he comes on to interview fighters i turn off
widdy is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
TonyD407
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was a Prick ..... But a funny Prick !
TonyD407 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

He was decent. A bit too much of a curmudgeon at times for my taste but he struck me as fairly knowledgeable and honest. Better than many but not in the Al Bernstein or Reg Gutteridge league.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Exactly. I'm sick of people like Adam Smith bite their tongue all the time. If it's a boring fight, Merchant would rip the fighters for it whereas someone like Smith will say "not the most entertaining fight between the young prospect and teak tough Ghanaian" in his typical dull fashion. You need characters on TV and Merchant is one.
x2
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
I respect Merchant for his undoubted knowledge of the sport but I can't wait to see him go. He'd be a good boxing journalist IMO, writing articles for magazines or newspapers covering fights like Steve Bunce or Jeff Powell. Being on TV as an actual commentator though, he's always been God-awful and it's amazed me why HBO have had him on for so long.

When he talks it's like he's speaking in slow-motion, that's no good for a commentator, especially when a fight is high-paced. His voice could be used to put baby to sleep.

Apart from Manny Steward I've never liked HBO's commentary team at all, Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman are a pair of absolute clueless gobshites. Roy Jones isn't bad though.
What a genuinely awful, ignorant post. Incidentally, Merchant was an excellent print journalist before moving to TV.
dftaylor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum