Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I could listen to Virgil Hunter all day. Guy is a genius!

Khan is an instinctive fighter, like Pac. He gets in the ring and just attacks and defends when it feels right. Hunter is trying to turn him into more of a patient, cerebral type, like Ward, Mayweather and Marquez. I don't know how well it will work, but Khan does seem to be taking the instructions seriously and thinking more carefully about how to approach fights.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedav View Post
I watched this documentary last night. I thought it was fascinating to see Virgil work - the bit where he was showing Amir how to use the ring was quality. I find it amazing that Khan has been a world champion but yet has so many things to improve on. I've heard on here that Virgil says Khan doesn't train in between fights - another thing I find amazing. You'd think he'd always to learning his craft, but sounds like he hasn't.
Yup, it's in yesterday's Ringside segment where he mentions it. And I'm glad he noticed it, because the other day I said the exact same thing. I'll just copy and paste:

I honestly think he should pack his bags and make a permanent move to California. He should spend as much time with Virgil as he can. Even when out of camp and Virgil’s with other fighters, just go down to the gym and watch. Talk to him. Understand how other fighters take to his instructions.. Because devoting only 6 or so weeks 2-3 times a year is not sufficient. Gotta’ do your homework and study in your own time too, man. Look at guys like Maidana, Rios, Brook, etc. It’s like they’re in the gym every ****ing day. They eat and breath that shit. Floyd did the same thing when he was coming up, and I’m sure JMM too with Nacho. But Khan doesn’t do that. It’s like he’s treating the game as if he’s learned all that’s needed to be learned and only has to turn up for training camps. He’s a hard-worker and all, but only on the physical side of things. He hasn’t quite understood how important it is to exercise his boxing brain, and in that regard, he’s kind of wasted the past 2 years or so.

And Virgil said he was shocked to learn that was the case, as it's been tallied up to 3.5 years of inactivity since he's turned pro and has thus allowed his competition to to catch up with him.

4:00 in:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6qrPoUKjo[/ame]
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
Dedication
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

From the bottom of my heart, can't remember the last time I was this excited for a Khan fight
Dedication is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
nvs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

Always excited when Khan fights. He either loses in spectacular fashion or wins in spectacular fashion.

Soon we will be wiser but everything i wish nothing but good for both fighters.
nvs is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Like what I hear from Hunter.

Khan is still full of shit.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

very good stuff. I feel like training now. I just got to get this tequila after taste out my mouth from last night first
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboxer View Post
Khan is an instinctive fighter, like Pac. He gets in the ring and just attacks and defends when it feels right. Hunter is trying to turn him into more of a patient, cerebral type, like Ward, Mayweather and Marquez. I don't know how well it will work, but Khan does seem to be taking the instructions seriously and thinking more carefully about how to approach fights.
I had a lot of respect for Amir until he came here to fight Peterson and after the fight (though it was a controversial conclusion) he really disrespected DC, with his comments. What really bothered me was that he was the one who said he had more fans in DC than Peterson and loved the city when the fight was first made. I understand his frustration with the scorecards but he pushed Peterson at least 20 times n the fight and his inside game was subpar. So the fact that he whined after the fight and blamed the whole fight on the ref, made me really happy that Garcia KO'd him.

With that being said, I do respect him as a fighter. The good thing(s) regarding Khan is that he is very young. He is only 25 so he hasn't yet reached his peak. I am no longer supportive as I once was, but he seems to have been humbled and I will be watching to see how he performs tonight.
Don't Sleep is online now  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
zulander
Belt holder
ESB Addict

u have to admit that was one of the most corrupt matches the sports has seen in recent times..... there were far to many question marks over the scoring, the reffing for both fighters, the man in the hat, the testosterone pellet. Khan got bigheaded with ill have more fans than Peterson crap but he was right to feel like the victim of a rigged fight. Peterson should never fight again
zulander is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
markq
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedav View Post
I watched this documentary last night. I thought it was fascinating to see Virgil work - the bit where he was showing Amir how to use the ring was quality. I find it amazing that Khan has been a world champion but yet has so many things to improve on. I've heard on here that Virgil says Khan doesn't train in between fights - another thing I find amazing. You'd think he'd always to learning his craft, but sounds like he hasn't.
Khan is a natural. If he would take his career seriously, he'd be in top 20. The guy has serious potential despite his defensive flaws, which can be fixed.
markq is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #25
Danebrogen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post

Hard not to admire his dedication (no pun intended).
Where's the pun?
Danebrogen is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danebrogen View Post
Where's the pun?
great avatar bro.

I like how frank Virgil is with Khan, as great a trainer as Roach is, he was too meek to really drill everything inside Khan's head... with a guy like Amir (who really isn't the brightest bulb at the best of times), you need someone to tell him to cut the shit from time to time.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

Its kind of shocking in a way that a Olympic Silver Medalist and a 29 fight pro Amir has to be reminded to get his feet set before punching.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
From Russia
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wow, he is pretty charismatic and knows his shit, such type of trainer need boxers like manny or khan, cause they are soldiers and they need a good general in the corner.
From Russia is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #29
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

I really like Molina from this vid but I hate his mauling clinching style. I'll have to support Khan in this fight but I hope Molina achieves his dreams.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #30
rowedav
He Glassed Me
ESB Full Member

vCash: 959

Some good posts here. I go through phases of liking and disliking khan. I always say the win over maidana wasn't good for him in the long run - afterwards he seemed to think he could walk through people and seemed to be even more gung-ho and try and blast people out.

Not sure if Molina will test him - I don't know much about him - but I'm excited to see how Khan develops under Hunters tutelage. Looking forward to the fight.
rowedav is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum