Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #31
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones - Who Would You Choose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell

I didn't invent it, I repeated it.
Repeat it in a way that my own education believes it then, Russell. I guess you know more than me regarding the subject. Prove it beyond any shadow and I'll provide kudos in response. If you can't, WELL, you probably should've not mentioned the matter.
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 AM   #32
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

At 168, I wouldn't favor anybody over a prime Jones
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #33
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Because repeating a claim by men who KNEW the man in question implies that I'm an expert on the subject.

Go **** yourself fat, balding and looking for a late night pissing contest.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #34
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Because repeating a claim by men who KNEW the man in question implies that I'm an expert on the subject.
Because you are too worthless to research an erroneous claim?

Any proof from you?

Hell, you even post some strange matches
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #35
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
You'd favor Calzaghe over a prime Jones? Too many to list at 168? Please list them. I consider it a very short list, but then again, you consider Floyd better than Roy.

edit: Nevermind, I've argued with you before on these points, you're the Jones hater.
I can almost hear you go "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!" everytime I type something about Roy Jones that isn't full of praise and godworship for a highly flawed and perpetually overhyped fighter.

Floyd IS better than Roy - Jones deficiencies were highlighted when he began to lose his athletic attributes, truly great fighters can neutralize superb speed and fast feet with effective pressure and great timing, two things Archie Moore was renowned for.

As Jake LaMotta said,
"Anyone who thinks Roy Jones would have a chance against Archie Moore doesn't have the faintest what they're on about."

It is pointless arguing the point with you, because you've been brainwashed by the heroic images of Jones in your young mind, and will refuse to accept anything other than godworship for him. I judge all fighters objectively.

It'll be about ten years before the "general boxing public" sees sense when it comes to Roy.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #36
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Calzaghe and Hopkins are great fighters, but i can't see either of them doing anything to neutralize the supreme skills of RJJ. Jones was simply too hard for most people to figure out, and IMO was on another level then these guys. I haven't seen anyone who could beat Jones in his prime at 168. IMO he is the closest thing we have seen to an unbeatable fighter. He had speed, power, elusive defense, a terrific offense and a massive range of punches that he threw from all sorts of angles. He could do so many different things inside the ring, and could fight from both the inside and the outside with ease. A very intelligent fighter who could literally do stuff that defied traditional boxing technique. Most importantly, at this weight he had a solid chin. He would attack and finish up relentlessly.
I couldn't disagree anymore.

Joe Calzaghe is not as fast but much, much, more skilled than Jones Jnr, the subtelties of his style are lost on fans who don't know an awful lot about boxing or haven't done any themselves, incidentally the same people who thought Kessler would beat him.

Joe has the better chin, and the much better fighters mentality, he certainly wouldn't let Jones "neutralize" the fight the way he did against Hopkins, his offense is comparable to a hornets nest and he will be more than happy shaking off shots trying to come inside.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 AM   #37
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

I like Bob Foster here, but being a light-heavy against Jones' 168 is quite unfair.
Another fighter who I think would give Jones problems would be Victor Galindez. A typical Argie with limitless strength, toughness and endurance, decent power and that animal-like fighting fury about him.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 02:22 AM   #38
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Looking for more obscure picks. Thanks fists.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 AM   #39
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Heh, I tried to pick beyond the usual old suspects.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 AM   #40
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ezzard Charles at 168 at the right time would not be the underdog for starters. Even money at worst. He's a damn good pick here.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #41
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Yeah, Greb...you got to wonder how Langford would go too. Jones would certainly need to do 12/15 hard rounds to get the job done...
Langford was the first name to pop into my mind. However I'm not sure he would beat Jones.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 AM   #42
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity
Langford was the first name to pop into my mind. However I'm not sure he would beat Jones.
Put it this way; in a similair thread about Langford Jones' name would need to be given serious consideration. If you need to beat a phenom, I think you need to pick a phenom to get the job done.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #43
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Greb
Moore
Charles
Langford

They all have the attributes to beat him. All of these would be favourites though so it would not be an upset.

Calazaghe would be close but Jones would get my nod. Benn would win one out of 5 but Jones would be the boss, same with McClellan. Nunn could provide the upset though.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #44
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I might of harboured a sneaking feeling for a young Jimmy Ellis
At Midlle Young Jimmy acquited himself well with guys like Holman Williams and Rubin Carter, it was a quick deep education, when Jimmy left Middle, on his way to Heavy he started racking up a series of 1st Round Ko's, Curresy of his big right hand and sizzling combinations, culminating in one round KO of Hot-shot Johnny Persol

That Small Heavy Jimmy did not score that many ko's at Heavy was also because of the quality of heavy he faced, Ali, Frazier, Bonavena, Chuvalo, Quarry, Patterson ect, ect, so no disgrace for lack of Ko wins there !

The Ellis Betwwn Middle - Lt Heavy was Fast, a super boxer, could throw sizzling combinations, and had that Big Sneak right hand, at worst i think he woukld prove a real handful for Mr. Jones !
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #45
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Billy Conn was always a small light heavy and 168 would be a good fite for him maybe he could outwork Jones to a decision.
Minotauro is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum