Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Boxing&Blues
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default training at different gyms (amateur)

Whats the etiquette on this? Amateur gyms often only train twice a week and i feel like i should be training a lot more.
Boxing&Blues is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: training at different gyms (amateur)

Bad idea to be training with multiple coaches at the same time.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

twice a week wtf?
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing&Blues View Post
Whats the etiquette on this? Amateur gyms often only train twice a week and i feel like i should be training a lot more.

Twice a week is pretty lame for boxing training in the gym. Even if you do road work, skip rope, shadow box and hit a heavy bag, you are not getting consistent instruction and could develop some bad habits. If you want more training, change to a gym that offers more days a week and stick it out there if it fits your needs.

As for training at different gyms, the only time our group did that was when our coach brought us to another gym to spar with different opponents for a change of pace, but we were under his instruction. Our gym only had about a dozen amateur boxers of varying weight classes and ages, so our sparring usually consisted of the same 2-3 guys. It was nice to go against the larger gyms boxers. At the time, there were a couple dozen amateurs and several local pros that worked out at that gym regularly.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

I go to two clubs,cause there is no good sparring at my club.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
tmsbry
ESB Addict

vCash: 14400

Depends if u box & compete you can only be affiliated to 1 club, but u can train anywhere you want
tmsbry is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing&Blues View Post
I depends how your main coach views it. Some don't like their lads going else where for various reasons (i.e. fear of transferring or their lads getting abused in sparring).

I personally would encourage it. We have 4 relatively small gyms in my town so often clubs work together if sparring is need. I trust the coaches and no they wouldn't allow anyone to get hurt - so no concerns there, and if a lad wants to leave then our club then it is his choice (he needs to be where he is happy).
RichC is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Take it from someone whose been there before. Multiple coaches pulling you in different directions and having different expectations and goals for you is just a horrible mess. On top of that Boxing coaches are worse than jealous ex-girlfriends when it comes to their fighters. Haha loyalty is important and being guided by one coach who really pays special attention to you is where you'll grow. 2 times a week is ridiculous you should be in the gym training under the supervision of a coach at least four days out of the week for around an hour and a half to two hours.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

Wouldn't it be disrespectful to your coach if you were training somewhere else also? Make sure you ask permission and explain your reasons. I guess if you feel you need to train more to progress then so be it
We train 4x a week so I'm cool.
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Depends on experience more than anything I'd say. If you're only starting out then getting different coaches giving you a load of different information before you have the experience to decipher between good and bad info, then it's probably not wise. If you're more advanced, then it's great because you can get different sparring and a different coach may identify flaws that your coach can't.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
I TuCKeR 93 I

vCash: 1176

Yeah im planning going to another gym as im only boxing twice a week as well
I TuCKeR 93 I is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

How can any serious gym only offer instruction to competitive boxers twice a week?
That's nuts.

My gym does three times a week. It's not overwhelmingly better - ha ha. (maybe I should get off my soapbox before someone calls me a hypocrite). But my coach has a small team (only about 6 or 7 of us training, and 4 of us competing) and most of us take practice and training seriously, even during the off days (we're still in the gym working on stuff like s&c or technique).

Come to think of it, 2 days a week ain't so bad, I think the lack of competent sparring partners is the problem. Cuz otherwise, you should be able to just fill in the gap during the off days.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing