Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Swedish81
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Pep winning a round without throwing a punch?

Is it true or not? What are your personal opinion?
Are there any reliable evidence?
Swedish81 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Pep winning a round without throwing a punch?

I never watched that famous round and never found any footage of it.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
I never watched that famous round and never found any footage of it.

Try it on YouTube.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish81
Is it true or not? What are your personal opinion?
Are there any reliable evidence?
Against southpaw Jackie Graves, on July 25, 1945, in Minneapolis, some reporter is said to have openly supposed Graves might give Pep difficulty because of his reverse stance. In response to this, Pep is claimed to have tipped off some sportwriters that he would win the third round without throwing a punch, on all three judges scorecards.

This would have been a sensational reality, but local newspapers apparently recorded numerous punches thrown by Pep in that round. (One tenth hand account I've gotten records one writer as saying, "The number of punches thrown couldn't be counted on a clicker.")

If somebody on these boards is located in Minneapolis, perhaps a microfilmed newspaper description of the match could be located in the following day's sports pages at a nearby library. There are conflicting reports about whether or not the match was filmed, but it seems to me that if Willie was planning a stunt like this, he'd be more likely to perform it before a movie camera.

While it's entirely possible that Pep may have turned this trick at some time in his career of hundreds of rounds, newspaper reporting seems to have debunked the third round of the Graves fight as the occasion. Until some source documentation indicates otherwise, this seems to be just an entertaining and oft repeated myth.

The Graves fight seems to have been a bit of a wild bout. Graves broke his left hand in the second round (putting him out of commission for the next four months), but he dropped Wille twice in the sixth, and hit the deck nine times himself, before the referee finally stopped it in the eighth. Over 9,000 people were there, so somebody must still be alive who could confirm or repudiate this story.

Did anybody who knew Pep himself ever hear Willie make this claim? (I've never seen footage of him addressing this subject, only others.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Against southpaw Jackie Graves, on July 25, 1945, in Minneapolis, some reporter is said to have openly supposed Graves might give Pep difficulty because of his reverse stance. In response to this, Pep is claimed to have tipped off some sportwriters that he would win the third round without throwing a punch, on all three judges scorecards.

This would have been a sensational reality, but local newspapers apparently recorded numerous punches thrown by Pep in that round. (One tenth hand account I've gotten records one writer as saying, "The number of punches thrown couldn't be counted on a clicker.")

If somebody on these boards is located in Minneapolis, perhaps a microfilmed newspaper description of the match could be located in the following day's sports pages at a nearby library. There are conflicting reports about whether or not the match was filmed, but it seems to me that if Willie was planning a stunt like this, he'd be more likely to perform it before a movie camera.

While it's entirely possible that Pep may have turned this trick at some time in his career of hundreds of rounds, newspaper reporting seems to have debunked the third round of the Graves fight as the occasion. Until some source documentation indicates otherwise, this seems to be just an entertaining and oft repeated myth.

The Graves fight seems to have been a bit of a wild bout. Graves broke his left hand in the second round (putting him out of commission for the next four months), but he dropped Wille twice in the sixth, and hit the deck nine times himself, before the referee finally stopped it in the eighth. Over 9,000 people were there, so somebody must still be alive who could confirm or repudiate this story.

Did anybody who knew Pep himself ever hear Willie make this claim? (I've never seen footage of him addressing this subject, only others.)
It should be noted that Pep fought three times in Minneapolis that year, so it's possible that he might have confused Graves with another, lesser opponent. After fighting close to 250 times in one's professional career, that's bound to happen from time to time.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101
It should be noted that Pep fought three times in Minneapolis that year, so it's possible that he might have confused Graves with another, lesser opponent. After fighting close to 250 times in one's professional career, that's bound to happen from time to time.
Right you are Drew, and of course, if Graves himself had a spotty recollection of a match he would be much more likely to recall vividly, then Pep could have very easily gotten confused. I guess the real question is, how, when, and where did this story originate?
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum

Great post Duodenum, I love reading your stuff
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1305

there is ways of winning a round with no punches with fouls and maybe slips counted as knockdowns
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I think I read it in Ray Robinson's book, that Pep made the guy miss,weaved in and out , the guy missed so bad that he fell through the ropes and Pep danced and floated around the ring with the guy swinging and missing and looking real bad
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum