Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: George Foreman Says He Was Drugged Before Ali Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Vy, none of us can say for certain, of course. Liston had funny things going on around his fights, Ali, Foreman, Tyson, Dempsey, Golota, Volo, Bowe, Johnson, Lewis, (Povetkin ). I can think of a lot of heavies that have had some shady things like this either suggested to have happened to them or an opponent. You can't say for certain if they even believe it themselves.

When pride finds excuses, you never know how much you can delude yourself. I have a feeling, mostly because I've heard Foreman go back and forth on this, that he's had days where he's convinced this did happen to him, and days where he thinks he'd just wanted an excuse. I don't think he straight lied, based on what I've seen or heard him say. I just think he's gone back and forth on it himself. Lingering doubt that never went away, maybe. Foreman also says...so much. About so much.

Then again, with all the things I've heard, I'd have to think the odds are at least one or two of these are bound to be true. And there's certainly a lot on the table that would motivate taking risks to sabotage. And who can trust guys like King and the lot of criminal figures in this business lurking around?

Sal.
You know my stance on this matter.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
You know my stance on this matter.
you hate heavyweights like i hate clowns. which is a lot
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Ali worship is disgusting
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #19
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
you hate heavyweights like i hate clowns. which is a lot
'Tis true.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
Sugar Nick
He's A Good Boy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Zaire loved Ali and they wanted him to win. Could they have done something to George? Perhaps.

BUT,Foreman would have KO'd anyone else that night except Ali.

The heat couldnt have helped him either. It was just his time to lose.
Sugar Nick is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Vy, none of us can say for certain, of course. Liston had funny things going on around his fights, Ali, Foreman, Tyson, Dempsey, Golota, Volo, Bowe, Johnson, Lewis, (Povetkin ). I can think of a lot of heavies that have had some shady things like this either suggested to have happened to them or an opponent. You can't say for certain if they even believe it themselves.

When pride finds excuses, you never know how much you can delude yourself. I have a feeling, mostly because I've heard Foreman go back and forth on this, that he's had days where he's convinced this did happen to him, and days where he thinks he'd just wanted an excuse. I don't think he straight lied, based on what I've seen or heard him say. I just think he's gone back and forth on it himself. Lingering doubt that never went away, maybe. Foreman also says...so much. About so much.

Then again, with all the things I've heard, I'd have to think the odds are at least one or two of these are bound to be true. And there's certainly a lot on the table that would motivate taking risks to sabotage. And who can trust guys like King and the lot of criminal figures in this business lurking around?

Sal.
The most interesting thing iv heard from Foreman about the Ali fight is how God talked to him in the dressing room afterwards.....
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
The most interesting thing iv heard from Foreman about the Ali fight is how God talked to him in the dressing room afterwards.....
That was after the Jimmy Young fight.

Foreman made the drugged water claim as recently as 2007, in his book.

Other claims he has made about that fight and his trainer Dick Saddler:

Saddler pushed Foreman, between rounds, to keep swinging- to not let up. Foreman claims this was out of character for Saddler. Saddler had always coached him to pace himself and not get in a hurry.

When Foreman was knocked down he started to get up around the two count. Saddler screamed at him to stay down until he told him to get up. He never did.

After the fight, Foreman fired Saddler and Saddler immediately went to work for Ali.

Both Ali and his manager Herbert Muhammad refused Foreman a rematch unless Foreman hired Saddler to train him.

Foreman has said in interviews that this stuff is just a bunch of excuses, but he always ends it by saying "but it IS true".

I don't know if any of it's true or not. I'd give it about 50/50. Anything the young Don King was involved in could have been crooked.

Last edited by BillB; 12-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru

vCash: 66874

He must have been drugged because we wouldn't hear Foremanism's like this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCzuKIT9Jjk[/ame]
KOTF is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #24
Chaney
Mystery and Imagination
ESB Jr Member

Foreman says in an interview in 'The Life and Times of Muhammad Ali' by Thomas Hauser (1991) that as a constant winner, he didn't know how to lose with dignity; and so he came up with all sorts of excuses after his loss to Ali. Including that he was drugged. In the Hauser book, Foreman mocks his younger, excuse-making-self by saying: "Yeah - I was drugged alright - I got a big dose of that Ali right."

He did say that he could have gotten up after the knockdown, but looked to his corner as a fighter is trained to do, and the signal to rise didn't come in time. However, he admitted that he was very tired, and that in all probability Ali would still have beaten him even if he'd beaten the count.

Unfortunately, he's changed his story quite a few of times over the years, which damages his credibility as a witness.
Chaney is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaney View Post
Foreman says in an interview in 'The Life and Times of Muhammad Ali' by Thomas Hauser (1991) that as a constant winner, he didn't know how to lose with dignity; and so he came up with all sorts of excuses after his loss to Ali. Including that he was drugged. In the Hauser book, Foreman mocks his younger, excuse-making-self by saying: "Yeah - I was drugged alright - I got a big dose of that Ali right."

He did say that he could have gotten up after the knockdown, but looked to his corner as a fighter is trained to do, and the signal to rise didn't come in time. However, he admitted that he was very tired, and that in all probability Ali would still have beaten him even if he'd beaten the count.

Unfortunately, he's changed his story quite a few of times over the years, which damages his credibility as a witness.

Actually, he's told pretty much the same story all along.

Where the change comes in is that he will say it is all excuses, but then he'll be sure to add that it is true.

I think he genuinely wants to let bygones be bygones. Life's been good to him.
At the same time that fight keeps eating at him and he wants the story out. He tries to balance the two sides.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #26
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Actually, he's told pretty much the same story all along.

Where the change comes in is that he will say it is all excuses, but then he'll be sure to add that it is true.

I think he genuinely wants to let bygones be bygones. Life's been good to him.
At the same time that fight keeps eating at him and he wants the story out. He tries to balance the two sides.
That's not the impression I got at all from reading the same book Chaney references here. Foreman clearly debunks the "drugged" myth in Houser's book.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just plain crap. You can find Foreman saying all sorts of things through the years. However during his comeback he was on several of the local sports radio shows in the NY area. He was asked about this and said frankly that he was searching for a reason why he lost to Ali when he made that statement. He laughed and said the reality was that Ali was hitting him cleanly for many rounds and it was just so much he could take with a 215 pound hwt hitting him round after round.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
That's not the impression I got at all from reading the same book Chaney references here. Foreman clearly debunks the "drugged" myth in Houser's book.

He's repeated it as the truth as late as his 2007 book.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #29
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Another myth surrounding this fight was that Foreman was not counted out. Indeed he was counted out. The confusion is that the announcer for the fight were several counts slow as the ref was counting over George. So it looks as if the ref reaches 8 and waves the fight off. Of course this was not the case...Foreman just missed the count as his gloves left the canvas.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #30
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
That was after the Jimmy Young fight.

Foreman made the drugged water claim as recently as 2007, in his book.

Other claims he has made about that fight and his trainer Dick Saddler:

Saddler pushed Foreman, between rounds, to keep swinging- to not let up. Foreman claims this was out of character for Saddler. Saddler had always coached him to pace himself and not get in a hurry.

When Foreman was knocked down he started to get up around the two count. Saddler screamed at him to stay down until he told him to get up. He never did.

After the fight, Foreman fired Saddler and Saddler immediately went to work for Ali.

Both Ali and his manager Herbert Muhammad refused Foreman a rematch unless Foreman hired Saddler to train him.

Foreman has said in interviews that this stuff is just a bunch of excuses, but he always ends it by saying "but it IS true".

I don't know if any of it's true or not. I'd give it about 50/50. Anything the young Don King was involved in could have been crooked.
Did Saddler go to work in Ali's camp after the fight, iv never heard that before? and why didn't Ali rematch Foreman after he beat Frazier and Lyle in 76?
Vysotsky is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum