Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #196
second to none
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: How exactly is Sugar Ray Robinson the Greatest?

Well off the top of my head these are some quality wins

Lamotta
Turpin
Bastillio
Fullmer
Graziano
Kid Gavilan
Arnott
Zivic

Stupid troll if he isn't the greatest why do virtually all other fighters, trainers ect say he is
second to none is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #197
Vinegar Hill
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonze86 View Post
People are too sensitive about SRR and other fighters from early days.i bet that if Mosley,Trininad,De la hoya,whitaker,Pacquaio,Mayweather etc.. Would have been fighting in 40's everybody would be screaming that little over 10year of span is the greatest in WW'S history

And some retards think that somebody like johnson or louis would have even got a chance against prime tyson.there is many examples.people only deny the thruth and live in the past.

To these idiots boxing is only sport in the world which haven't evolved.

And actually the whole world have been evolved.only boxing is different.you can't argue with these grandpas.gladly they are soon in the graveyard and finally have to let it go of SRR,Grebs,Langford,armstrong,johnson,lous etc.. Dicks

and don't waste your time to replying to this post.i don't even want to start arguing.you grandpas can keep your opinions i will keep mine.
Of course you're right,boxing has obviously evolved.
All of todays luminaries would piss all over Leonard,Hagler,Hearns,Duran,Benitez,Arguello and Pryor from the eighties.
It's patently obvious that boxing has moved on and evolved.
Vinegar Hill is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #198
Mr Pibb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar Hill View Post
Of course you're right,boxing has obviously evolved.
All of todays luminaries would piss all over Leonard,Hagler,Hearns,Duran,Benitez,Arguello and Pryor from the eighties.
It's patently obvious that boxing has moved on and evolved.
Mr Pibb is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #199
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonze86 View Post
People are too sensitive about SRR and other fighters from early days.i bet that if Mosley,Trininad,De la hoya,whitaker,Pacquaio,Mayweather etc.. Would have been fighting in 40's everybody would be screaming that little over 10year of span is the greatest in WW'S history

And some retards think that somebody like johnson or louis would have even got a chance against prime tyson.there is many examples.people only deny the thruth and live in the past.

To these idiots boxing is only sport in the world which haven't evolved.

And actually the whole world have been evolved.only boxing is different.you can't argue with these grandpas.gladly they are soon in the graveyard and finally have to let it go of SRR,Grebs,Langford,armstrong,johnson,lous etc.. Dicks

and don't waste your time to replying to this post.i don't even want to start arguing.you grandpas can keep your opinions i will keep mine.
You write a post like this, and don't expect a reply? Wishful thinking, to say the least.

Here's your reply...where you like it or not.

While there are certain fighters who would have competed well in just about any era, there are certain fighters from previous eras who would have done very well today. If you actually take the time to watch SRR and Armstrong, you'll see them throwing combinations that are tighter, faster and more fluid than those thrown by the vast majority of top flight boxers competing in the world today. Plus you would have watched them execute feints, which is an art that is all but forgotten in today's game.

Boxers today may be more athletic (though you can't tell me that SRR and Ali weren't incredibly athletic), but previous boxers displayed a greater range of technical ability (Mayweather and Hopkins-who are products of old school training, it should be noted-being notable exceptions).

Anyway, I figured I would reply to your post, in spite of your wishes. You may be content to remain immersed in willful ignorance, but someone has to set the record straight. Things ain't nearly as cut and dried as the above post makes it seem.
Drew101 is online now  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #200
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
95% of the boxers he faced were bums, and that's being generous.
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #201
modernfonzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I agree with both sides. It should be quality over quantity. SRR fought some great fighters, but you cant deny that he fought a lot of bums too. Times were different. Theres no way he fought even 90 fighters who would be decent fighters in todays era .

Training methods, fighting gameplans, rules, and techniques have all changed. You can rewatch a lot of that footage and see that a lot of the things done back then wouldnt really work well in todays boxing.

I'm of the belief that todays boxers are the best so far. As with every other sport.

Faster, Bigger, Stronger, more evolved.

But you cant blame people for paying homage and respecting the greats.
modernfonzie is online now  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #202
modernfonzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenpire View Post
Because a lot of people think that riding the "omg sugar ray robinson is the greatest boxer of all time" train will make them look like knowledgable boxing experts who have lived through the centuries...... the same thing is true with people who rank jack johnson and sam langford as better punchers than lewis or tyson.

I'm not saying sugar ray robinson and those guys weren't great, he was definitely great for his time, but what pisses me off is that some guys who yell that he's the greatest of all time probably didn't even have the patience to watch half his fights. Some just hear from some nostalgic old trainers and fans that he's the greatest so they go along with it, thinking that it'll make them look older and more knowledgable....... and when you go against them they'll say "oh you haven't been around long enough to know his greatness", lol wtf?

Some will say he's the greatest because they read it on ring magazine or whatever, and they don't give a shit that the "experts" who make those rankings are usually heavily biased in favour of fighters from the past. Either way alot of the people who go around yelling "sugar ray robinson is the greatest of all time" haven't even seen him fight

It's quite funny actually.
This post pretty much sums it up.
modernfonzie is online now  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #203
Vinegar Hill
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernfonzie View Post
I agree with both sides. It should be quality over quantity. SRR fought some great fighters, but you cant deny that he fought a lot of bums too. Times were different. Theres no way he fought even 90 fighters who would be decent fighters in todays era .

Training methods, fighting gameplans, rules, and techniques have all changed. You can rewatch a lot of that footage and see that a lot of the things done back then wouldnt really work well in todays boxing.

I'm of the belief that todays boxers are the best so far. As with every other sport.

Faster, Bigger, Stronger, more evolved.

But you cant blame people for paying homage and respecting the greats.
I'm sorry. I just don't see it. Some heavies are bigger,but faster and more evolved? Nah.
Vinegar Hill is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #204
Brandish
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

duran and chavez jr fought way more bums
Brandish is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #205
COLD-HARD-TRUTH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

The whole concept of the GOAT in any sport is purely subjective in my opinion. Robinson is considered by many fighters and trainers including the late great Emmanuel Steward to be the greatest of all time. But sometimes, you have to define greatness and what it means to you. That's where the subjectivity comes in. If you just go by records alone than you will favor the undefeated guys like Marciano or Lopez....most people consider the talent they faced and the great obstacles they overcame like Ali beating Foreman or Henry Armstrong holding titles in different weight classes to be more important than an undefeated record.
COLD-HARD-TRUTH is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #206
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

he aint id knock him out
lepinthehood is online now  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #207
Mr Pibb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandish View Post
duran and chavez jr fought way more bums
shhhhhhh

they don't like the truth around here.
Mr Pibb is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum