craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Mayweather vs Guerrero: Deal is Close to being Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
**** off

I don't have Messi as the #1 at this stage, but at least he's operating at the highest level that's available.

Floyd hasn't.... didn't want to know Mosley when he was at his best, didn't want to know Margarito, Cotto, and ran like a sissy from Pacquiao.

That's akin to Messi playing really well in the CL, and then before the quarter finals saying ''tell you what boys, that's me for the season''.

Messi plays in La Liga, is that really the highest level? a 2 team league?

I'd say the toughest league is actually nowadays, the Bundesliga or the Championship. Because the leagues are tight, and very competitive. Different winners every year, nobody ever really runs away with it.

So if Messi wants to prove he is the GOAT, he needs to sign for Leeds United.

Messi has done it on the European stage, but what about the World one?.....to be considered WORLD CLASS and a true great, or even GOAT, you need to do it at the world cup.

IMO Messi is not the GOAT.....although time is on his side.

Zinedine Zidane is the GOAT for me. Then Diego Maradona. Then Pele.
craney91 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #107
Peter__1987

vCash:

To place Mayweather at Number 1 of all time is beyond laughable, how on earth you can draw that conclusion I don't know.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #108
DavetheSlave

Excellent post slip.
DavetheSlave is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #109
Check_Hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Look, BB and other posters.

People are having this conversation in football right now, with Lionel Messi - Is he the greatest of all time?

Some people dont want to say it, either because they want to see and say it is so in the end, when it is all said and done. Or maybe for other reasons. But deep down they know, that Messi being the GOAT is more than just a huge possibility, its very very real. Regardless of your conditioning and players of the past.

These people will delay until it is inevitable, and they will HAVE to say in the future, what they thought may have been the case all along anyway. Whether they like it or not.

Many people disliked Floyd for years, was it jealousy or was it his attitude? Wanting him to taste defeat, until they finally saw the whole picture fully, what he can do and has been doing. ONLY NOW, does he start getting credit.

The fact is, Floyd has already been defeated, like many of us, he has learned from that, the defeats came when he was a child, and from his personal life, he takes them, values them and learns from them, and makes sure he doesnt taste it in the environment he has control in. A boxing ring.

People laugh and hate on Audley Harrison, being rubbish, this and that, a failure, con-man etc etc. But the man MADE IT, thats why he is proud. Thats why he still smiles, thats why when he gets this hate, he knows he has a home, wife and children to go back to, it dont matter. He came from humble beginnings and made millions and in the process won a gold medal. If he rolled over tomorrow morning, do you think he would be embarrassed and ashamed? Its who he is as a person that matters to him. He is loved by his family, and no amount of haters are ever gonna take that away from him with throw away comments and abuse.

My question is, why wait till the inevitable, WHY NOT say it now? The truth is the truth.

Floyd is the most complete and advanced fighter we have ever seen so far, he can do it all. All parts of the game. Boxing skill wise he is on another level compared to some other great fighters in his same era. We must start looking at this, it goes beyond just another talent, look at what he does inside a ring, analyze every last drop of what he does and can do. What he does to sell fights like no other, how hard he works to stay at the top.
Sorry but you have no clue, take SRL for example tell me now who Floyd Mayweather has beaten to even come close to Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Benitez.

You cannot compare.
Check_Hook is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #110
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
To place Mayweather at Number 1 of all time is beyond laughable, how on earth you can draw that conclusion I don't know.
Even the top 50 is laughable.

People might give Holyfield and RJJ shit for tarnishing their legacy's because of losing fights, but it can also the other way. OK, so Floyd wins his fights, but they are nowhere NEAR the best challenges out there available for, fact.

When he was down at the lower weights and people were comparing him with Duran, that can't be said anymore due to the opposition he is facing.

The man is a con artist, simple. And it seem's to be deluded money-hungry people (see broke as **** idiots) that 99% of the time idolize him because of how much he earns.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #111
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Lol @ craney! Mayweather doesn't know how to counter a jab! Oscar was jabbing him at will, yet Floyd was dumbfounded with what do to with him.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #112
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Even the top 50 is laughable.

You went too far with it.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #113
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Lol @ craney! Mayweather doesn't know how to counter a jab! Oscar was jabbing him at will, yet Floyd was dumbfounded with what do to with him.
No, didnt have a clue at all did he, no.

Must have been just me seeing him abuse leaning back with the shoulder out all fight. At one point De La Hoya had Mayweather up against the ropes, throwing everything he had. Floyd was smiling.

43-0 tells me the bloke has got a clue, but not just a clue, a plan, AND he knows how to implement it to win the fight.

We can sit and say, but how would he have been able to do that against, SRL, Duran, Hagler etc etc

But people have said that about fighters he has already faced, going into a fight, "Floyd wont be able to do it this time".....and he does.

Its a different story when they get in the ring, so its pointless speculating.

IMO Floyd is the best, and he would do to them, what he always has done. It all changes when they get in the ring. He will box on the back foot, encouraging the pressure, working of the wok of the other fighter, taking a breath, analyzing, adjust1ng, they call it Floydy-sense, his brain functions like a computer, it aint human, you know! And then mid-to-late rounds stick some more pop into the counters, punch crisper, using angles with footwork and punches, over the top to finish combos, typical Mayweather and looking to walk them down when he is in control.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #114
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:

Must have been just me seeing him abuse leaning back with the shoulder out all fight. At one point De La Hoya had Mayweather up against the ropes, throwing everything he had. Floyd was smiling.

43-0 tells me the bloke has got a clue, but not just a clue, a plan, AND he knows how to implement it to win the fight.

We can sit and say, but how would he have been able to do that against, SRL, Duran, Hagler etc etc

But people have said that about fighters he has already faced, going into a fight, "Floyd wont be able to do it this time".....and he does.

IMO Floyd is the best, and he would do to them, what he always has done. It all changes when they get in the ring. He will box on the back foot, encouraging the pressure, working of the wok of the other fighter, taking a breath, analyzing, adjust1ng, they call it Floydy-sense, his brain functions like a computer, it aint human, you know! And then mid-to-late rounds stick some more pop into the counters, punch crisper, using angles with footwork and punches, over the top to finish combos, typical Mayweather and looking to walk them down when he is in control.
Listen, I'm a big fan of Floyd as a boxer (not as a person) I think he's an absolute master at his craft and the best fighter of his generation but how can you honestly sit there with a straight face and call him the GOAT when he blatantly ducked the biggest challenge of his career in Manny Pacquiao?

I'm a lifelong unbiased boxing fan and it is as clear as day that Mayweather ducked Pacquiao, if you think otherwise you are in denial, plain and simple.

And i'm sorry, ducking your biggest challenge automatically removes you from contention for the GOAT before the discussion even begins.

The greatest boxer of all time does not duck fights, end of.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #115
Peter__1987

vCash:

The annoying thing is, even when Pacquiao was at his ferocious prime Floyd would of probably still handled him, makes no sense.

Too little too late now though.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #116
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
You went too far with it.
I disagree.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #117
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:

Relax man, Floyd Mayweather is a great fighter but he should not even be in the top-10 of all-time.

43 -0..?

Roy Jones Technically went 49-0.

And in that time, was Middleweight Champion, Undisputed Light Heavyweight Champion, Heavyweight Champion, and pound for pound number 1 for over a decade! even though i think pound for pound rankings are aload of shit.

Sugar Ray Robinson went over 90 fights undefeated, if my memory serves me right..?

Relax man, calm down.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #118
gashalasha7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Just reading back some of the posts, PK is on the rampage, lol. Love the passion.

PK, you have to admit Floyds ALWAYS been a cherrypicker, even at the lower weights when was at his best. No one is argueing against Floyd being a great fighter, but there's no doubt he avoided some challenges and only taken fights he thought he could win.

Lets have a gander at his legacy and people he missed. Lets start at 130 where he was a beast. Floyd won his first title at 130lbs. Joel Casamayor and Acelino Freitas won their titles at 130 a year later. They were both standout undefeated fighters in Floydís division. Those guys were champions there up until Floyd left the division. They fought each other in a unification match but no match was ever made with Floyd. Iím not saying they would have beat Floyd.

Iím not saying Floyd 'ducked' them. But a pattern developed early, that turned into a trend later. When you want to make certain fights, what you do is sweeten the pot(offer more money), like Amir Khan tried to do with Tim Bradley. I donít recall Floyd doing that. Now remember this at that particular time in Floydís life he said after one of his title defenses that he wanted to go down history like Joe Louis and defend his 130lbs title 25 times like Louis did his heavyweight title. This is actually where his legacy was built, at 130lbs.

Floyd moves up, but does not establish a great legacy at lightweight either. He only fights there a couple times. Floyd actually struggled more at 135 than he did at any other time in his career. He tested the water against Emanuel Augustus and had a really tough fight. He went back up there a couple of years later and had 4 fights. Two tough decisions against JL Castillo, another tough fight against Victor Sosa and a dominant performance against Phillip Ndou.

Next up is Stevie Johnston. You may not know this but Johnston lost his lightweight title to JL Castillo. Castillo beat Johnston by a razor thin decision and Johnston caught a draw in the rematch that many thought he won. So Floyd has life and death with Castillo the first time, beats him close but clear the second time. Now guess who is the leading contender? Guess who HBO is familiar with? Stevie Johnston. Johnston didnít get a shot and was forced to fight in an eliminator against Juan Lascano and lost. That was the end of Stevie Johnston as a viable contender. Another trend. Attrition. Let the threats clear themselves out.

Next up we have Kostya Tszyu. Floyd moves up to 140 in 2004. Floyd only fights 1 fight, against Demarcus Corley where he was visibly hurt for the first time in his career. That fight happens to be a WBC eliminator. Arturo Gatti is the WBC champion. Floyd fights another WBC eliminator against Henry Brusseles. Now ask yourself why was it so important to fight for the WBC belt when Kostya was the RING champion and IBF beltholder. I assume because Gatti was the champion and he was an easier fight than Tszyu. Rarely in boxing do you see a prominent fighter who was champion in a lower division be forced to fight 2 eliminators. I think Floyd wanted to fight those specific eliminators because he wanted to fight that specific champion.

So on to welterweight where the money was (at 140 a fight with Cotto was bypassed). Welterweight is where the real cherrypicking went on. He fights Judah. Now, why is it ok for Floyd to fight Judah in a PPV fight coming off of a loss but itís not ok to fight Margarito coming off of the Williams loss? Margarito is more of a monster than Zab at 147. Williams is a better fighter than Baldomir. And Margarito/Williams was a dog fight in which Margarito started too late but came on. Zab lost to a journeyman where he started too early and came down. The trend is continuing.

Then he 'retires' in 2007 so doesn't have to fight some stiff compepition. he waits for the threats to clear and for people to eliminate each other. His main concern being Paul Williams and Margarito.

So thats;

Casamayor
Freitas
Johnson
Kostya
Cotto
Margarito
Williams
Pacquiao

Great fighter, but will go down as a clear cherrypicker and with not great legacy. And discerning fans already know it.
Every Mayweather fan needs to read this post.
gashalasha7 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #119
BretN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

This fight will be closer than alot of people are giving it credit for.
BretN is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #120
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretN View Post
This fight will be closer than alot of people are giving it credit for.
No.
JFT96 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum