Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
billythekiduk

vCash: 500
Default Keeping the the faith

Really enjoy the threads on here,even swinging pigs. One question,how the hell do you guys stay so committed to the game considering the lack of boxing on the box over there? We tend to take it for granted what with several sports channels and our own boxing channel.
billythekiduk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
bruiserh

vCash:
Default Re: Keeping the the faith

Fair question Billy. With the smaller number of boxers per capita (and fans) in Australia, we don't get much televised domestically. Fox Friday night cards bi monthly and a couple of Pay Per Views. We end up supplementing by watching fights on the computer.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
billythekiduk

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiserh View Post
Fair question Billy. With the smaller number of boxers per capita (and fans) in Australia, we don't get much televised domestically. Fox Friday night cards bi monthly and a couple of Pay Per Views. We end up supplementing by watching fights on the computer.
Is fox terrestrial or a sky/satellite channel? There's only 1 terrestrial channel that shows boxing,channel 5. Some decent fights usually, fury,degale,Eubanks jnr. You probably get to see them online. Otherwise we can't complain regarding the sky stuff although you'd be surprised at the amount that do !
billythekiduk is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
bruiserh

vCash:

Yep. Fox is a subscribe/satellite channel. They've tried a few free to air fights here but they musn't have rated too well since they were one offs. So having a free to air channel that shows fights, you're way up on us!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

we do get to see dunny bill fight kegs on legs, and its only $50 ppv. so we at least get the quality fights.
buster007 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

I watch most of the big fights a few days after they've happened online. Pay for some cards when the boys want to watch some boxing and get on the cans but it is pretty hard as a boxing fan in this country.
Rise Above is online now  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

ive always said aussie fight fans are some of the most dedicated in the world. i remember getting a subscription to ring magazine and it was so outdated that the fights previewed in the mag had often been fought already. often times id get it and the guy celebrating a big win on the cover would have lost since it was printed.
its hard work being a boxing fan down under
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I think we've been pretty lucky with the quality of fighters we've had to support in this country over many years.

We've had two international boxing hall of famers and another one who will likely go in when the time comes. Their careers have all followed on from one another spanning a period of more than 25 years.

I think it's pretty easy being a fan when you get to follow guys who operate at the pointy end of the sport. That they've managed to achieve what they have fighting out of a country that is half a world away from the two major boxing markets in the world (the USA & Europe) is a pretty special achievement for this country, imo.

We've also had plenty of top class second tier guys (and I don't mean that in a negative sense at all) to follow as well and that continues to this day with Daniel Geale having already achieved more than many of his predecessors ever did and with the potential to achieve more. Even if he's not up to beating the likes of Golovkin or Martinez (which remains to be seen), you know that if he keeps winning he's going to have a crack at it - another quality that I like about our fighters.

I can't see any reason why we won't continue to produce some high quality second tier guys in the years to come although I think our 25 consecutive years of having a genuine A-level guy to follow might be coming to end.
Sandman_ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum