Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Camaris
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Heavy bag - advice needed

Hi, my BBE 4ft heavy bag finally gave way yesterday after 3 and a half years of beatings in all elements outside.... The final strap gave way and it was a brutal knockout.

I went out and bought a 4ft Golds gym bag from the one and only sports shop in town for sixty quid. The problem is it is quite a lot lighter than my last bag, meaning it hits the boxing frame it is mounted on when you twat it properly, and it swings more.

All I want is a heavy, heavy bag. Does anyone know which ones are good or where to get a really solid one from that is convenient and easy? I'd really appreciate some advice before spending any more dough. I just sort of assumed the new one would be the same.

Cheers
Camaris is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavy bag - advice needed

Has it got a Ring on the Bottom
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Has it got a Ring on the Bottom
This.

You can buy water/sand weights to clip on the bottom to weigh it down further.

How much does the bag weigh and how much do you?
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

where do you live?
cheech is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
Camaris
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Hi all, has it got a ring on the bottom? Well, yes and no. Within about ten minutes of strapping it to the frame from the bottom the ring got ripped out. I'd like to think it was the sheer power of my right cross but I suspect that Golds gym bags are a little bit shit.

Cheech, I'm in mid sus***.
Camaris is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
Camaris
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I'm 168 to 175lb in weight, I'd guess the bag is about 100 lb but will weigh it later as that is a guess. The last one seemed to me to be about 20kg at least heavier to lift.
Camaris is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaris View Post
Hi, my BBE 4ft heavy bag finally gave way yesterday after 3 and a half years of beatings in all elements outside.... The final strap gave way and it was a brutal knockout.

I went out and bought a 4ft Golds gym bag from the one and only sports shop in town for sixty quid. The problem is it is quite a lot lighter than my last bag, meaning it hits the boxing frame it is mounted on when you twat it properly, and it swings more.

All I want is a heavy, heavy bag. Does anyone know which ones are good or where to get a really solid one from that is convenient and easy? I'd really appreciate some advice before spending any more dough. I just sort of assumed the new one would be the same.

Cheers
No need to buy another bag just yet. You can take the filling out and and pack it with whatever you want and however you like.

I have used all kinds of things to fill home made equiptment (i.e. Bulgarian bags, homemade medicine balls, body bags etc, standard punch bags). I have used mixtures of sand, maize, rubber mulch, cat litter, dried dog food, gravel etc. You can mix in the original filling however you see fit - Experiment, and see what works best for you.

You may have to re-pack the the bag every few months if any of the granules end up moving to the bottom of the bag depending how / what you use. Having said that, I anticipated having to do this but so far, after months / years of use, I haven't had to do this yet.

Just make sure you don't make the bag too hard and / or ensure your hands are well wrapped and your gloves provide the protection you need.

Have fun.
RichC is online now  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

Have you thought about buying an empty bag and stuffing it? I like the 150;lbs bags but I also like to mix it up on diffrent types such as an upperncut.
cheech is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing