Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default So, a question about Canelo

Out of curiosity, what is it people see in him that will trouble Floyd?

Is it a particular way he fights? Or is it down to size and how he is portrayed in the media?

Why was it that Canelo and Mosley where able to have a semi competitive fight, whereas bar 2 good punches, Mosley landed nothing all night against Floyd?

Although styles make fights and Mosley is shot bla bla, I think this fight is a good indicator of a style comparison for a fight verses eachother.

Anyway, I think it will happen in september.
oibighead is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Kevin Jesus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: So, a question about Canelo

I think it's just his power and size. He's really patient too, and commits to his punches. He's a bit flat footed, which would benefit Floyd. Especially the Floyd from last night the way he was moving and using his legs. So much for "Floyd lost his legs", they're both there and they're pretty damn strong and energetic for 12 rounds.

I just want to see the fight, but I am a Canelo fan, so I don't want to see it now. I want to see it May 2014. I'd like Canelo to beat Cotto first. People don't understand it would be so much better if Canelo goes in to the Floyd fight having beaten Trout and Cotto, or even Lara instead of Cotto but I don't think Canelo beats Lara. The more top notch wins Canelo racks up, the more experience, the more hype a fight with Mayweather gains. Right now, Mayweather decisions him quite easily, 9-3/8-4 UD.
Kevin Jesus is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Jesus View Post
I think it's just his power and size. He's really patient too, and commits to his punches. He's a bit flat footed, which would benefit Floyd. Especially the Floyd from last night the way he was moving and using his legs. So much for "Floyd lost his legs", they're both there and they're pretty damn strong and energetic for 12 rounds.

I just want to see the fight, but I am a Canelo fan, so I don't want to see it now. I want to see it May 2014. I'd like Canelo to beat Cotto first. People don't understand it would be so much better if Canelo goes in to the Floyd fight having beaten Trout and Cotto, or even Lara instead of Cotto but I don't think Canelo beats Lara. The more top notch wins Canelo racks up, the more experience, the more hype a fight with Mayweather gains. Right now, Mayweather decisions him quite easily, 9-3/8-4 UD.
Yep I agree. Canelo has the power to trouble Floyd. But as the Guerrero fight showed, he is a hard mother****er to hit.

In terms of hype I agree, they would of also fought a fair amount of common opponents, so it would give the fans something to debate about.

I want this fight next though. Then Amir (if he gets some good solid wins at 147) in May next year.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

Power , size, skill, iq, style. Cotto gave floyd a tough fight , canelo can certainly do anything cotto was able to do and I think hes a more well rounded fighter overall.

I think next year would probably be a perfect time for this fight to happen. A dominating win over Cotto for Canelo will turn the hype meter up a lot more. Either way it's the only interesting fight that Floyd might be capable of making right now.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
finitosanchez

I think people want to see it is because canelo has shown that he can improve in many aspects of boxing. He has shown us that he is one of the best combination boxers and that he has a lot of power and hand speed. He has also proved everyone saying that he has no defense wrong. Now if he improves his stamina tremendously, i think he can trouble floyd. Canelo has far superior hand speed than guerrero and hits WAY harder. I think that if theres someone that can catch floyd and hurt him its canelo. People seem to disregard his improvement in every fight and that hes intellegent. Bottom line Canelo has quick hands lots of power and a decent defense
finitosanchez is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

To be honest, I'm too tired to go in to a big analytical breakdown, but Canelo is a very very special talent

He's a student of the game, he slips excellently, blocks excellently, counters excellenty, technique is almost perfect. I do believe he is a bit too relaxed sometimes and doesn't push the pace enough, but he rarely looks troubled, almost always seems to have a control over the match.

As for Floyd. Well, I still don't think Canelo can beat him at the moment, cus Floyd still has it, and Floyd is a one is a million talent, but Canelo has a big future, and he will also go on to be a special figher IMO, but I don't think he will fight Floyd, nor do I think he will currently beat Floyd, nor will anyone else for that matter
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Kevin Jesus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't know about Khan. But honestly, who would care about him picking Khan? Floyd would have defeated every one that mattered at 147-154. Ring #2 rated WW/#3 P4P Marquez [#2 P4P in 2009], Ring #3 rated WW/#8 P4P Guerrero, Ring 154 Champion Canelo. There would be Pacquiao and Bradley, but if Marquez beats Bradley then he'd have buried Bradley and Pacquiao in my eyes, he'd make them irrelevant as far as a fight with Floyd goes. If Bradley wins, that fight would still be impossible to make because of Arum vs Haymon, but it would definitely pick up some interest from the fans who just don't get the whole GBP vs TR feud anyway.

So really the only guys left would be the Garcia vs Peterson/Matthysse winner and Khan. After beating Canelo, Floyd would basically have 4 fights to play with and fight who ever he wants.
Kevin Jesus is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Jesus View Post
I don't know about Khan. But honestly, who would care about him picking Khan? Floyd would have defeated every one that mattered at 147-154. Ring #2 rated WW/#3 P4P Marquez [#2 P4P in 2009], Ring #3 rated WW/#8 P4P Guerrero, Ring 154 Champion Canelo. There would be Pacquiao and Bradley, but if Marquez beats Bradley then he'd have buried Bradley and Pacquiao in my eyes, he'd make them irrelevant as far as a fight with Floyd goes. If Bradley wins, that fight would still be impossible to make because of Arum vs Haymon, but it would definitely pick up some interest from the fans who just don't get the whole GBP vs TR feud anyway.

So really the only guys left would be the Garcia vs Peterson/Matthysse winner and Khan. After beating Canelo, Floyd would basically have 4 fights to play with and fight who ever he wants.
I only want Khan so I can go to the fight, I agree with the rest of your post as well
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Speed, punch accuracy, size and offensive intelligence. He's got the bombs to hurt floyd, the accuracy to hit floyd, the speed to trouble floyd and the intelligence to deliver it all.

That being said he played punch for punch with a much more shot version of Mosely then floyd shut out. So realistically it is an interesting fight, not one I think Floyd would lose.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
non-stop
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

the only thing im worried about is the size of canelo come fight night. that dude is 170+ in there, thats like a natuarl middle weight after rehydrating. Money is a natrual 147 that stay around 150lbs come fight night that means 20+ pounds difference. he even looked small against the ghost last night.
non-stop is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
prelude
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He pose a threat to Floyd health...if you know what I mean .
prelude is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oibighead View Post
Out of curiosity, what is it people see in him that will trouble Floyd?

Is it a particular way he fights? Or is it down to size and how he is portrayed in the media?

Why was it that Canelo and Mosley where able to have a semi competitive fight, whereas bar 2 good punches, Mosley landed nothing all night against Floyd?

Although styles make fights and Mosley is shot bla bla, I think this fight is a good indicator of a style comparison for a fight verses eachother.

Anyway, I think it will happen in september.
You know what, I was thinking about posting about this earlier but its Cinco man I have had a few in me by now lost count to be honest but **** it ima go through and let you know.

At 1st, you would think okay Canelo is tailor made for Floyd he just suits his style like Castillo, Hatton and even Marquez, Canelo just tends to want to fight he comes forward and has need to just bring it.

We already know the basic shit, he is a solid Jr Middle no denying that, he is young in his prime still learning but doing better each time out....
He hits pretty darn good, and there is no denying his ability to put shots together.

So I was thinking you know what this is a young fighter at his peak but I kinda dont see it either but then upon review and going into the Trout fight, I was mislead into believing Trout was or would be the more dominant fighter in their fight..... some of you know I initially picked a Trout win...

But in spots of Canelos fights you could pick up on his ability to place his punches make them count not over working or over committing himself either.

So it was a simple matter of seeing can this kid avoid shots can he show a little slickness.... and we saw that in the Trout fight but we have often seen in but in spots of most of his fights if you notice even the lopez and Gomez fights he will allow a fighter to throw he will roll with most of the shots taking their effectivness off of them and coming back strong with a series of his own shots that usually do land.

The Trout fight as we got closer I changed my pick because I noticed Canelo had this ability and it came down to do I think Trout could pull this out and adjust if Canelo decides to rock and roll like that my answer was no after reviewing the Rodriguez and Cotto vs Trout fights.

but then the guy fights Trout and convinces me more than ever he is the guy he is the one that gives Floyd fits I will explain...

Floyd can handle that come forward pressure fighter thats his MO, he is also very smart experienced and knows what the **** is going on in that ring at all times.

A Guy like that you have to you must mix it up, Canelo with the speed of his we discussed earlier has the ability to run off a series of shots and step around and away from May as he did with Trout.

And in there with a 35 year old Mayweather if you can do that the first few rounds make him pay when he misses but dart your way in score your shots slide out make Floyd miss, and move, you suddenly have the 35 year old fighter in a position where he has to pick it up...

Canelo can draw Floyd in lets not pretend like he cant.... he has the speed and youth get off first score especially to the body... and slide out and make Floyd have to play catch up.

That will make for an intense 7th 8th 9th round, and thats when we see what Floyd really has inside of that 35 year old frame.......

I think Canelo has the style to pull that off the mistake Cotto made was he stayed in there too long with Floyd... thats the only adjustment Canelo has to make its a carbon copy but Canelo does what Cotto didnt.... and that makes the difference I think thats why this is a dangerous fight for Floyd
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Floyd will find a way to win, he always does

Keep in mind, I say this as someone who had his confidence shaken by betting Donaire would beat Rigo:

I would bet my life that Floyd would beat Canelo if they fought tomorrow

And it feels weird picking against Saul considering how much I've sung his praises the last few years and bigged him up, but Floyd is just at THAT level

Canelo may get there one day, I think he will get at THAT level, but he's not there yet, Floyd is still there
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #14
twenty1
Final Destruction
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
To be honest, I'm too tired to go in to a big analytical breakdown, but Canelo is a very very special talent

He's a student of the game, he slips excellently, blocks excellently, counters excellenty, technique is almost perfect. I do believe he is a bit too relaxed sometimes and doesn't push the pace enough, but he rarely looks troubled, almost always seems to have a control over the match.

As for Floyd. Well, I still don't think Canelo can beat him at the moment, cus Floyd still has it, and Floyd is a one is a million talent, but Canelo has a big future, and he will also go on to be a special figher IMO, but I don't think he will fight Floyd, nor do I think he will currently beat Floyd, nor will anyone else for that matter

I agree, but i do think Canelo has something for Floyd if they fight.
twenty1 is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
You know what, I was thinking about posting about this earlier but its Cinco man I have had a few in me by now lost count to be honest but **** it ima go through and let you know.

At 1st, you would think okay Canelo is tailor made for Floyd he just suits his style like Castillo, Hatton and even Marquez, Canelo just tends to want to fight he comes forward and has need to just bring it.

We already know the basic shit, he is a solid Jr Middle no denying that, he is young in his prime still learning but doing better each time out....
He hits pretty darn good, and there is no denying his ability to put shots together.

So I was thinking you know what this is a young fighter at his peak but I kinda dont see it either but then upon review and going into the Trout fight, I was mislead into believing Trout was or would be the more dominant fighter in their fight..... some of you know I initially picked a Trout win...

But in spots of Canelos fights you could pick up on his ability to place his punches make them count not over working or over committing himself either.

So it was a simple matter of seeing can this kid avoid shots can he show a little slickness.... and we saw that in the Trout fight but we have often seen in but in spots of most of his fights if you notice even the lopez and Gomez fights he will allow a fighter to throw he will roll with most of the shots taking their effectivness off of them and coming back strong with a series of his own shots that usually do land.

The Trout fight as we got closer I changed my pick because I noticed Canelo had this ability and it came down to do I think Trout could pull this out and adjust if Canelo decides to rock and roll like that my answer was no after reviewing the Rodriguez and Cotto vs Trout fights.

but then the guy fights Trout and convinces me more than ever he is the guy he is the one that gives Floyd fits I will explain...

Floyd can handle that come forward pressure fighter thats his MO, he is also very smart experienced and knows what the **** is going on in that ring at all times.

A Guy like that you have to you must mix it up, Canelo with the speed of his we discussed earlier has the ability to run off a series of shots and step around and away from May as he did with Trout.

And in there with a 35 year old Mayweather if you can do that the first few rounds make him pay when he misses but dart your way in score your shots slide out make Floyd miss, and move, you suddenly have the 35 year old fighter in a position where he has to pick it up...

Canelo can draw Floyd in lets not pretend like he cant.... he has the speed and youth get off first score especially to the body... and slide out and make Floyd have to play catch up.

That will make for an intense 7th 8th 9th round, and thats when we see what Floyd really has inside of that 35 year old frame.......

I think Canelo has the style to pull that off the mistake Cotto made was he stayed in there too long with Floyd... thats the only adjustment Canelo has to make its a carbon copy but Canelo does what Cotto didnt.... and that makes the difference I think thats why this is a dangerous fight for Floyd
Fair play, I can see that.

Canelo has decent speed, not blinding, but he is quick. Not so much in his movement, and he tend to get square on alot.

In the Trout fight, he showed he actually was quite smart at reading punches, something we seldom saw due to the opposition he was fighting more interested in taking a beating. Trouts problem in that fight was he moved with Canelo, and barley tired to set his own rhythm.

I think though that Floyd would force him to be the agressor, much like the Marquez fight. Even though its a risky strategy, he was actually pretty agressive in that fight, If he fought canelo I could see him constantly moving around Alvarez, not giving him a chance to get his feet settled.

When he throws when he is more square he steps back, then thats when Mayweather would be throwing his right cross. Slipping it around his jab as well.

Canelo also, like Mayweather, takes breaks during the rounds. I see floyd waiting till Canelo is recovering in the round to start being active.

Come later in the fight and Canelo with all the moving around the ring he will be forced into, Floyds jabs to the body (an exceptional punch which normally he uses quite a bit), and being forced to fight all the round (Floyd will pick up when he drops off in the round) Canelo will be tired. Meaning Floyd will coast the later stages of the fight.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum