Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Mayweather back with his dad for one fight, Khan with Hunter for two....

Mayweather back with his dad for one fight and hardly get touched.....Khan moves to Hunter and is still getting tagged badly (and had to pick himself off the canvas) after two fights, why do you think that is?

To be honest I was really surprised by the way Mayweather fought, he used his legs brilliantly and he never looked like he was going to get caught with a big shot....

This got me thinking why can't Khan tighten up his defense (at least stop getting hit with left hooks, I don't expect him to turn into Ward overnight), he's younger than Floyd he's had alot more time with Hunter.

So why do you guys think this is and do you think Khan will always be a flawed fighter and he should just accept it or is he not working hard enough?
Emeritus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
The13thRound
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather back with his dad for one fight, Khan with Hunter for two....

Because Guerrero isn't in a shot cottos league that is all.
The13thRound is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Mayweather back with his dad for one fight, Khan with Hunter for two....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thRound View Post
Because Guerrero isn't in a shot cottos league that is all.
OK so you are saying Diaz and Molina > Guerrero?
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Mayweather back with his dad for one fight and hardly get touched.....Khan moves to Hunter and is still getting tagged badly (and had to pick himself off the canvas) after two fights, why do you think that is?

To be honest I was really surprised by the way Mayweather fought, he used his legs brilliantly and he never looked like he was going to get caught with a big shot....

This got me thinking why can't Khan tighten up his defense (at least stop getting hit with left hooks, I don't expect him to turn into Ward overnight), he's younger than Floyd he's had alot more time with Hunter.

So why do you guys think this is and do you think Khan will always be a flawed fighter and he should just accept it or is he not working hard enough?
Well Khan doesn't fight like he should in my opinion. He is tall and rangy and should be fighting behind a lighting and piercing jab. The problem is he falls in when he jabs. He doesn't know how to fight tall. Also Hunter is too busy trying to make him fight like Ward. The late Emanuel Steward would have been great for Khan and Floyd Sr would be great for him as well.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
P.M.
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Khan can't be fixed overnight, he's basically all he's ever going to be skill wise. Mayweather didn't all of a sudden learn a new style, he's always boxed Defensively and moved well. He was just sitting down more on his punches, standing in front of guys more. I thought his legs were fading based off his last couple fights, but its clear he was choosing to use less movement. He's been Criticized his for running, his dad just brought back his old style. Khan is no mayweather, he looks the same if not worse then when he was with Freddie Roach.
P.M. is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjotatp4p View Post
Well Khan doesn't fight like he should in my opinion. He is tall and rangy and should be fighting behind a lighting and piercing jab. The problem is he falls in when he jabs. He doesn't know how to fight tall. Also Hunter is too busy trying to make him fight like Ward. The late Emanuel Steward would have been great for Khan and Floyd Sr would be great for him as well.
I agree he doesnt fight like he should, but if half of ESB can see this problem then I'm confident Hunter can see this too and perhaps even Khan too!

So why no visible improvements? To be frank if you told me he was still being coached by Roach I could believe it....

Im just shocked that he doesn't appear to have tightened up anything at all....and for someone who reacts the way he does to get hit on the button I would think improving his defense would be an absolute priority?
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Completely different scenarios.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
P.M.
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I agree he doesnt fight like he should, but if half of ESB can see this problem then I'm confident Hunter can see this too and perhaps even Khan too!

So why no visible improvements? To be frank if you told me he was still being coached by Roach I could believe it....

Im just shocked that he doesn't appear to have tightened up anything at all....and for someone who reacts the way he does to get hit on the button I would think improving his defense would be an absolute priority?
Khan is a guy full of confidence and thinks he's the man. I don't think he can see his flaws, Roach couldn't and seemed delusional at times. I think khans defence and chin aren't his biggest weaknesses, its his lack of power. If he had power with his blazing speed he'd be taking guys out, they'd be scared to pull the trigger with him.
P.M. is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Mayweather went back to his original trainer and to doing what he does best -- moving and boxing, evading and countering.

Khan, on the other hand, only just started training with Hunter a while ago, and (most importantly) he's trying to do significantly different things in the ring. Khan has always had the mentality of an aggressive combination puncher -- Roach tried to add more boxing elements to his style, and had mixed success. At that point Khan was fighting with a sort of offensive boxer-puncher type style. Now, under Hunter, Khan is trying to become more of a cerebral, patient boxer with a lower punch output, more focus on accuracy, defence and jabbing, only unleashing his old combinations when he's sure that the time is right. That's a big shift, and it's difficult to accomplish, particularly in terms of Khan's mentality -- he's more of an instinctive, energetic attacking fighter than a patient, thinking boxer. Mayweather, on the other hand, is a defensive, cerebral fighter being asked to fight in a defensive, cerebral way.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboxer View Post
Mayweather went back to his original trainer and to doing what he does best -- moving and boxing, evading and countering.

Khan, on the other hand, only just started training with Hunter a while ago, and (most importantly) he's trying to do significantly different things in the ring. Khan has always had the mentality of an aggressive combination puncher -- Roach tried to add more boxing elements to his style, and had mixed success. At that point Khan was fighting with a sort of offensive boxer-puncher type style. Now, under Hunter, Khan is trying to become more of a cerebral, patient boxer with a lower punch output, more focus on accuracy, defence and jabbing, only unleashing his old combinations when he's sure that the time is right. That's a big shift, and it's difficult to accomplish, particularly in terms of Khan's mentality -- he's more of an instinctive, energetic attacking fighter than a patient, thinking boxer. Mayweather, on the other hand, is a defensive, cerebral fighter being asked to fight in a defensive, cerebral way.

In a nut shell, Mayweather is simply reverting to type, where as Khan is attempting to change his.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

You do realise that Floyd snr thought jnr how to fight right?

And has been involved in many of his fights as a pro?

Its hardly the same situation as Amir and Hunter
irishny is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post

In a nut shell, Mayweather is simply reverting to type, where as Khan is attempting to change his.
He's also vastly superior to Khan anyway. makes it a little easier.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
markq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Not at all the same. Floyd Sr instilled the defense into Floyd long, long ago. It was like riding a bike.

Khan wlil never be the defensive fighter he wants to be. He needs to be more like Pac. His offense needs to be his defense. The more Khan tries to change, the worse he'll be in my opinion. Virgil is the wrong trainer for him. Sad to say it, but he needs Roach.
markq is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
ButeTheBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

What a silly comment.

Why not compare Ward and Hunter
ButeTheBeast is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Easy answer: because Floyd always had those skills and had just been using other ones. He learned that shit years ago and used to do it all the time.

Khan doesn't have those skills/that style, so ad******g to it will take longer for him, not that he'll even be successful.
KillSomething is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum