Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #76
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: How I would advise Robert Guerrero to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranage View Post
Not that I'm aware....Cortez is like that. If Money gets a Cortez like ref, the Ghost is in big trouble.
Well Cortez retired...not sure who else is really similar. Nobody really stands out as a break-them-up kind of ref, unless I'm mistaken. Bayless' voice kind of comes to mind, "Nonononono! Don't punch!", but I'm usually satisfied with the work he does.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #77
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Now that the fight's officially signed.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #78
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

i can see floyd winning by ud, 8-4.

this fight will be competitive
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #79
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
lmao
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #80
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Almost sameway he fought Berto, but the key for Guerrero will be his legs. Faster footwork to cut the ring off on Floyd who's footwork has diminished and doesn't like to move around much and depends on waist movement. RG can't let Floyd dictate the fight.

FEINT alot with jabs because Floyd will want to counter RG at every chance and,since RG can't match him for speed, he can confuse Floyd abit.

RG should move and circle to his right to avoid the lead right hand. He will have to gamble with Floyd's check left hook. Keep that right hand high.

JAB to the body. Floyd will eventually counter this with an uppercut, but RG should take them well and after attacking body come up with right hooks, the punch that is Floyd's achilles heel.

RG needs to be one step ahead of Floyd like The Brawl in Montreal. Floyd fights dirty too RG needs to roughhouse him and disrespect him like Duran did SRL. AFTER the fight, they may hug all they want. But jabbing to body and countering Floyd ON OCCASION so Floyd won't read him too easy he won't expect RG to counter the master, but RG can land a,surprise hook or uppercut while Floyd walks in with a lead right or check left hook.

RG needs to be ready to go the full 12 so he'll have to be in superb condition while maintaining a higher, more hellish pace. But mainly a body attack, jabbing to body, and right hook/right uppercut while moving to his right will be hardest for Floyd to defend against.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #81
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

How would Floyd Sr alter the strategy? Would Floyd be sticking and moving more than walking the opponent down?
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #82
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict

.... i think a bunch of vidiots make a mistake in trying to outbox Mayweather from the outside... really stupid thinking.

Ambush is a no-go.... Guerrero dont have the footwork to effectively do that. That, and he may run into a counter-right as he jumps in.

One thing is to use footwork to create and maintain "pocket-boxing". Just like Ward, Mayweather does a great job removing mutual slugfest distances, either being very far or close. If Guerrero can establish a certain distance where he can hit, hopefully he can entice Mayweather to trade with him... most likely it won't happen, but at least Guerrero can drop shots then.

Guerrero will need to approach and slide/angle to the right, not come on in as a common linear puncher, or he'll get a counter right in face. Angling to the right on approach will keep Mayweather's lead/counter right out of position, as he'll need to continuously pivot to get that cannon back in line of sight.

When he's getting in, he'll need to double up the jab as a distractor. But he'll need to commit power alternately in one or the other, or Mayweather will throw a right over the top of it. as the jabs get him in, he'll need to double up the left hook (body/head) or right body hook, as the body should be there to be hit. Mix up the left hooks w/ a looping right over PBF's shoulder.... good stuff
Skilletscuz is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #83
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
i can see floyd winning by ud, 8-4.

this fight will be competitive
i'll be happy if it is competitive to the end....

if not, i'll be impressed with Mayweather's abilities
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #84
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i know thing i don't see RG trying to kiss and make up with floyd if he headbutts him.
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #85
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletscuz View Post
.... i think a bunch of vidiots make a mistake in trying to outbox Mayweather from the outside... really stupid thinking.

Ambush is a no-go.... Guerrero dont have the footwork to effectively do that. That, and he may run into a counter-right as he jumps in.

One thing is to use footwork to create and maintain "pocket-boxing". Just like Ward, Mayweather does a great job removing mutual slugfest distances, either being very far or close. If Guerrero can establish a certain distance where he can hit, hopefully he can entice Mayweather to trade with him... most likely it won't happen, but at least Guerrero can drop shots then.

Guerrero will need to approach and slide/angle to the right, not come on in as a common linear puncher, or he'll get a counter right in face. Angling to the right on approach will keep Mayweather's lead/counter right out of position, as he'll need to continuously pivot to get that cannon back in line of sight.

When he's getting in, he'll need to double up the jab as a distractor. But he'll need to commit power alternately in one or the other, or Mayweather will throw a right over the top of it. as the jabs get him in, he'll need to double up the left hook (body/head) or right body hook, as the body should be there to be hit. Mix up the left hooks w/ a looping right over PBF's shoulder.... good stuff
Agree with the bulk of your points, but I don't see too many fighters try to outbox Floyd from the outside, they tend to throw it away when they could have success leading. Angling from the right is key, linear approaches play into Floyd's hands, good point. The jab is also key as a distractor, he shouldn't focus on sticking it, it's not as important for opposite-stanced fighters.

On the ambush tactics; he doesn't need to rush in and out, but I'd have him get his shots in explosively and then get back on the outside. Otherwise Floyd starts settling into a rhythm.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #86
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I agree with you premise Tazo. Guerrero is going to have to fight in different modes as you say and not let Mayweather get comfortable combating one mode defensively.
Mayweather just figures out and guages one offensive gear and mode by Guerrero, and Guerrero just is'nt going to find him with anything clean.

The key for Guerrero imo will be activity. He's got to have lots of it. Up the tempo and hope Mayweather lags behind having gotten old.

Activity activity activity. Fight up close one round and turn around the next and fight strictly long distance. Some rounds mixing both.
Dont let Mayweather sit and get comfy looking and gauging at one particular style, because he'll decipher it and wont be touched.

The only way this plan works for Guerrerro though is if Mayweather has dropped his quality a couple of notches due to age. Fathertime catching up so to speak.
divac is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #87
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

Hello bogo what do you think of Guerrero's tendency to get rocked by rights? He's been hurt by all kinds, and Floyd's defensive will frustrate him into recklessness.
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #88
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Good luck Robert.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #89
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickstar View Post
I see what you're getting at. If Mayweather feels rushed, he defends. He likes working at his own pace like a boss. DLH was able to rush him a couple of times with the jab, so Floyd adapted by jabbing and moving laterally.
Something we haven't seen from Floyd in awhile. He hasn't had too, but can he with the same effectiveness if he wants to. I don't think he will because he can't fight this way anymore. Since he controls range well it's not a huge issue.

Guerrero has to ambush like the Ortiz GIF. But he has to fight just as much laterally, as he does vertically. Shifting on the inside, and crack a left hook up the middle of Floyd's guard/shoulder roll. Ambush Floyd to the ropes, back out, dart in, shift, etc. Never keep yourself in the center of the ring taking punches or shifting around with nervous energy, wasting your movement and your initiative. Ortiz did the latter far too often, and looked lost and aimless far more than his talent deserved.

Guerrero is going to need to be in the best condition of his life. Since the skill disparity is so huge he needs to basically have superior stamina to Floyd, or at least mentally push a pace that Floyd can't really control the fight wholly in the way and terms that he desires.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #90
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
I agree with you premise Tazo. Guerrero is going to have to fight in different modes as you say and not let Mayweather get comfortable combating one mode defensively.
Mayweather just figures out and guages one offensive gear and mode by Guerrero, and Guerrero just is'nt going to find him with anything clean.

The key for Guerrero imo will be activity. He's got to have lots of it. Up the tempo and hope Mayweather lags behind having gotten old.

Activity activity activity. Fight up close one round and turn around the next and fight strictly long distance. Some rounds mixing both.
Dont let Mayweather sit and get comfy looking and gauging at one particular style, because he'll decipher it and wont be touched.

The only way this plan works for Guerrerro though is if Mayweather has dropped his quality a couple of notches due to age. Fathertime catching up so to speak.
Activity will win the fight for Guerrero. If he doesn't let Mayweathers sharp punching deter him and keep from dropping under his avg punch rate, he can outwork Mayweather and win rounds...

You can outwork Mayweather, but you will have to keep a 60+ punch minimum per round... while taking shots in the face lol

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum