Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #106
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498
Default Re: Gavin rees vs Adrien broner Feb 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Anderson View Post
People comparing Burns to josesito Lopez and Gavin Rees and urging him to 'take his chances' are missing the key point: ricky is a world champion. Broner isn't the be all and end all. There will be plenty of opportunities for him in the next few years. it seems logical to me that burns and broner will have stay busy fights in January and February respectively and meet later in the year, hopefully on the may 4th undercard as has been rumoured. If broner decides to face someone else or move up to 140 I'll be as disappointed as anyone, but so be it. Broner isn't a superstar yet. There will be other big fights out there, they could even meet at a higher weight class in the future
While I'd agree with part of your reasoning, the part I disagree is the last sentence. Where is Burns' big fight this year (next 12 months) if Broner decides against the 4th?

If he's thinking of moving up weight class yes there are a few big fight options
but they are a long way away from here. This was here for the taking, he could have had that fight at this weight and everything you are talking about would still have been out there for him.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #107
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Anderson View Post
100% this
Alot of people on here say Broners got bigger fish to fry than Burns. but now he's fighting Rees!?! This is all heading towards a Broner - Burns fight. Every interview i see of Broner he says he's not leaving 135 untill he cleans it out by beating in his opinion the next best fighter in Burns. He's constantly calling out Burns, others get a mention yes but Burns is by far the main one. The reason he's doing this imo is to put Burns name out there, to hype him up in the U.S. Also, Broner fighting Rees makes Broner a bigger name in the uk which will make the upcoming Broner - Burns fight bigger!

Last edited by rossco666; 12-28-2012 at 04:56 PM.
rossco666 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #108
StevenB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

I know there are some who want to see Eddie fail, but once again he's shown a willingness to roll the dice and put one of his fighters in a fight I don't think another British promoter could deliver at the moment. Rees has nothing to lose, will get paid well and will give Broner a tough night. If as we expect he does lose and give a good account of himself, he's still well in the mix. Who knows....at least he's taken the fight.

Burns may be one of the most improved fighters in the last couple of years and he seems a top bloke as well. People calling him a coward and a ***** are well out of order. He's got as much right as Broner to dictate terms here. The Americans are hyping Broner and yes he's good, but he couldn't sell out his back garden at the minute. A fight between the pair in the US is an undercard fight...over here it would headline and sell out 10,000+ I believe...
StevenB is online now  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #109
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498

Neither Kel nor Rees have anything to lose. Both are expected to lose, travelling for the fight, and as long as they are game and put on a show there standing over the pond an only improve. Which is why Hearns played a blinder for these two fighters IMHO and Mr W by comparison hasn't for his fighters.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #110
Dicky Anderson
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulent_bob View Post
While I'd agree with part of your reasoning, the part I disagree is the last sentence. Where is Burns' big fight this year (next 12 months) if Broner decides against the 4th?

If he's thinking of moving up weight class yes there are a few big fight options
but they are a long way away from here. This was here for the taking, he could have had that fight at this weight and everything you are talking about would still have been out there for him.
Sorry I should have also said that I am still very confident that the broner fight will happen, why does it have to be february?

As far as other opponents go, he has a belt and a massive following, who wouldn't want to fight him?
Dicky Anderson is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #111
Gero
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 470

Made up for Gavin, the fella is a proper warrior.

Some folk need to take note.
Gero is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #112
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict

vCash: 185000

Great fight for Rees and Matchroom. I hope he can give the fight of his life and get a famous victory but I feel Broner will be too good.

Hopefully we see Broner/Burns later in the year and it would be out of this world to see it on the Mayweather undercard which has been rumoured, that would be a very good reason for Ricky not to fight him in February.

It'll be a massive disappointment if Burns doesnt fight Broner but hopefully that wont be the case and maybe even Gavin Rees can soften The Problem up a bit for Ricky.
perspicacity is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #113
ApatheticLeader
is bringing ***y back.
East Side Guru

vCash: 187

I'm happy that Rees has got his shot at the big time. He is a very skilled and underrated operator. At a very good level.

But not Broner's level. He's getting HURT here. I wish him the best. Victory would be fantastic. Most of us here will be rooting for him. But he's taking a beating.

I will happily point out that Rees is a better fighter than Scott Harrison was in his supposed 'prime'.

Last edited by ApatheticLeader; 12-28-2012 at 06:32 PM.
ApatheticLeader is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #114
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanDrago View Post
Ricky Burns is a coward and a ***** for not taking it.
Have a word with yourself you dribbling retard
icemax is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #115
IRONSENSE2002
muslim and proud
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

rees isn't a world class fighter i'v been saying this forever, ppl think he's improved under gary lockett and all but who exactly has he beaten which has inspired such confidence in his ability, nearly every opponent hes been in with has been made to order.
if murray was able to face him earlier this month i can assure you rees would never be in contention for fighting broner, murray would have taken him out.
IRONSENSE2002 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #116
sud2002
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This reminds me of the Rhodes vs Alvarez build up on here, the Englishman an underdog but because he's well liked on here many people will build up his hopes much like they did for Rhodes.

I think Rees will get a spanking just like Rhodes did..... Hope I'm wrong but that's my analysis based on both boxers.
sud2002 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #117
oli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud2002 View Post
This reminds me of the Rhodes vs Alvarez build up on here, the Englishman an underdog but because he's well liked on here many people will build up his hopes much like they did for Rhodes.

I think Rees will get a spanking just like Rhodes did..... Hope I'm wrong but that's my analysis based on both boxers.
Nobody in their right mind gave Ryan Rhodes a chance. Nobody can seriously be giving Rees one either. But it's just nice to see Rees get a reward like this and there IS at least a chance he can put a decent effort in and come out of it with some respect over the pond even if gets stopped.
oli is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #118
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:

Rhodes left it way too late for his big chance.....he actually gave it away years earlier when he was daft enough to move up to middleweight, that ruined him. Rees probably wont win but he hasn't let the bus pass by like Rhodes did
icemax is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #119
simmo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

I doubt many people on here give him much of a chance, but he's a decent lad and if he can put on a good show he could easily get a few good paydays in the future which he fully deserves.
simmo is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #120
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I agree with a few comments on here, but not all. I'll put in a few comments of my own. Feel free to respond.

1. Adrien Broner is a great fighter, but he's not at that elite level yet. He has quite a few more fights to come and he's not a Marquez, Pacman or Mayweather just yet. The potential is there though. He's not a household name in the UK or anything.

2. If you had a stable of fighters, would you try and hype them up, market them to the public and build rivalries? Is that good promotion?
Would you build fighters profiles, put them in winnable fights for titles and big purses? Or would would put them in tough fights where they could be ruined, for low\medium purses?

3. Burns is a double WBO champ, good fighter. If you were him, would you take 3 or 4 easier WBO defences for good money, being top of the bill in your own country, or would you jump straight in and fight a very dangerous opponent (but not a huge name yet) abroad for a larger purse\but not Millions?

4. Rees has a great chance to earn a decent purse and raise his profile even more. He can gain from defeat and easily go back to the level he was already on. He could even win - it's not impossible.

5. Timing is important. If your facing a very dangerous mandatory challenger (very high risk\low reward) and don't want to vacate, then you might as well then take the bigger fights that are out there, or move up in weight and take a less difficult route to another world title. You can call it ducking, but in reality it's also prolonging a career and maximising earnings.
No-one would want a harder job for less pay would they?

6. Add in that some fighters don't travel well, contracts, options, fighters injuries and late pull outs and you can see why some fights are so difficult to make.

If you are popular, can sell out venues, then take the easiest fights you can for the biggest purses possible. This is rational, is it not? Risk versus reward and all that?

UndisputedUK is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum