Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Joe Louis - Was It Possible...

To knock him out with a single shot?

His two TKO losses were both from accumulation, and he was stunned/downed quite often throughout his career.

Some peg him as having a weak chin. Some say he was too easy to hit.

Regardless, was it possible to KO Louis with one shot, or was he simply one of the fighters who couldn't have that happen to him?

Did it ever almost happen?

What punchers, through power or technique, do you think could do?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Louis - Was It Possible...

Well the man was certainly suseptible to flash knockdowns, meaning that he could definately be hurt and floored with one shot at anytime. As for him being " knocked out" with one shot, I doubt there are many people who could have done it, but its not impossible. If a man like Shavers or Tyson hit him at the right time in the right place, perhaps as Louis was coming forward as he tended to do, then yes, I could see it happening.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
To knock him out with a single shot?

His two TKO losses were both from accumulation, and he was stunned/downed quite often throughout his career.

Some peg him as having a weak chin. Some say he was too easy to hit.

Regardless, was it possible to KO Louis with one shot, or was he simply one of the fighters who couldn't have that happen to him?

Did it ever almost happen?

What punchers, through power or technique, do you think could do?
Louis was not stunned/down "quite often." He was down three times in 11 years and 31 fights (most against world-class heavyweights)between the first Schmeling and first Walcott fights. Louis was down six times in 27 total championship fights-considerablyless frequently on a fight-by-fight basis than many other champions.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano Frazier
Louis was not stunned/down "quite often." He was down three times in 11 years and 31 fights (most against world-class heavyweights)between the first Schmeling and first Walcott fights. Louis was down six times in 27 total championship fights-considerablyless frequently on a fight-by-fight basis than many other champions.
Very true.

I think just about anyone, if caught by the right punch at the right time and right place can be dropped or knocked out, and Louis was no exception.
The guys to do it? Probably Shavers is my number one choice. Maybe Liston, Tyson and Lewis as well. If Rocky hit Joe with the same right hand he hit Walcott with, I doubt Joe would survive. One could also argue a case for Ruddock's 'smash' and Baer's right hand.

Ironically, I don't think Foreman would. He'd bounce you all over the ring, but rarely did he KO you with just one shot out of the blue.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

You can never say never but there is no reason to assume based on his record that it could be done.

It didnt not happen for want of people being given the chance to do it. Louis defended the title 25 times and fought I think 34 currently ranked contenders. That means that half his profesional fights were against ranked opponents.

If it were to happen the likley candidate would be sombody like Sam Langford, Jack Dempsey or Ingemar Johansen who could land a short and powerfull punch that he didnt see coming.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum