Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Froch is ducking Cleverly

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Froch has boxed close to the LHW limit before...theres too much crap talked about weight, there isnt a whole heap of difference between 172 and 175
also it's not as if Froch is soft or flabby at super middle. Shouldn't have much problem moving up I would think.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I think if Froch is going to make a move in his career, it should be to middleweight rather than light heavyweight.

Froch is simply too small to mix it with those guys. He's a guy who walks around at 170ish and gets into the ring weighing under 170. The fighters at 175 balloon in weight and are probably around 185-195 by the time they're in the ring, so Froch would be undersized there. Even at middleweight, a fighter like Chavez would be about 10lbs heavier than Froch on fight night.

Most fighters who drain themselves can lose 8lbs or so in water weight, so if Froch did that, he could be a healthy, strong middleweight. Would he be bigger than guys like Martinez or Golovkin? Apparently Martinez weighed in at 167lbs against Chavez on fight night, which is almost identical to what Froch weighs in the ring. A guy like Golovkin is possibly a couple of pounds bigger than Froch, and the likes of Chavez would be heavier than him.

That said, going to 160 could take away Froch's strength. It's not impossible but it might weaken him. However, 175 is too high for a guy who walks around under that weight. It'd be like asking Khan to fight Kirkland at 154.
I think it would be too much of an ask at this stage of his career and would likely weaken him a lot. I know he lives the life of a true pro, but he's getting older, metabolism is slowing down, and he's already ripped to shreds. I think if he could make the weight without killing himself he'd already be fighting there. Okay, you say he can lose water weight and he doesn't walk around that much heavier than his fight weight, but how accurate/reliable is that figure of 170lbs walking around weight? I don't know, man. I believe it would weaken him too much.

At light heavy I think he would struggle, and maybe I was getting carried away talking about Bellew as a posible opponent, but Cleverly is a winnable fight I think, and he could win that belt (not that a belt means much in terms of legacy, but it could raise his profile and bargaining power, and he could call himself a 2 weight world champ). After the Cleverly fight? Who knows. The other guys would likely be too big for him, but if he could pack on a couple pounds of muscle and fill out a bit then maybe he could mix it with those guys. A bit of fat wouldn't make him tubby either.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
cutthroat22

vCash: 213

Does anyone think the twat would let this fight happen anyway? I personally don't, he's just using frochs name. If he's looking for a big fight in the u.k he'd be better with groves or degale.
cutthroat22 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat22 View Post
Does anyone think the twat would let this fight happen anyway? I personally don't, he's just using frochs name. If he's looking for a big fight in the u.k he'd be better with groves or degale.
Your probably right.

To be fair though this is basically the same as what Froch did to Joe.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
cutthroat22

vCash: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Your probably right.

True, but Joe was in the same weight division, if anything cleverly should have to come down to 168. I do think after banging on about how calzaghe wouldn't give him a shot that it would be nice for froch to give at least on brit a chance but I see no reason he should move up in weight to do it, so I'd be happy with groves or degale. ***** really does get on my tits, I was starting to come around to actually liking him but that article annoyed me, he's talking about the broner fight saying broner is over hyped etc but he should probably keep his mouth shut on that fight as burns could have had it next if he hadn't bottled it.
cutthroat22 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #21
The Chosen
Bada Bing! Bada Boom!
ESB Senior Member

fr ank is a c\/nt
The Chosen is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #22
Freakzilla
Yooo fookin' Rat
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Your probably right.

With all due respect, it's nothing like it.

Froch and JC were in the same weight class and though Froch was constantly talking shit about JC he at least worked his way into becoming mandatory challenger for one of his titles.

I like Cleverly and i would like to see this fight btw.

Froch has also already come out and said he would give Groves and / or Degale a crack at him when they are ready.
Freakzilla is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
onourway
Haye KTFO1 Wlad
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Froch's like Hatton.

Some guys are world class at their weight due to the strengths they possess, but even a small move up cripples them massively.
onourway is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #24
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If this fight is ever going to be made, then it would probably have to be at a catch weight, say 170-172 pounds and a big purse for Carl Froch. Perhaps a 60-40, 55-45 split in his favour. With the size difference and other options Carl has, (He's the IBF champion BTW) I cannot see this fight happening. I thought I read or watched somewhere that Froch was not bothered about fighting for WBO titles. I may be wrong. If this is the case, then fighting Clev would make little sense, apart from a large and perhaps risky domestic fight.

The only other time this fight happens is if Froch rises to the summit of 168's, runs out of opponents and then fights Clev for his light heavyweight titles if he was to unfiy and raise his profile.

I don't know who has the potential to be the better fighter between them, but Froch has taken the real tough fights for good titles. (Even if he has lost a few) For Clev to level this, he would have to fight at least four or five Cloud's, Shumenov's, Dawsons etc and then he would still probably not be quite there.
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #25
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onourway View Post
Froch's like Hatton.

Some guys are world class at their weight due to the strengths they possess, but even a small move up cripples them massively.
That's a very good point.
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #26
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Given recent developments i believe Froch De Gale is now more likely than Cleverly Froch
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #27
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I'm not sure about Froch being like Hatton, in that respect.

He's a harder puncher, and doesn't rely on physical strength to wear opponents down.

Hatton threw his boxing skills out of the window once he reached world level and basically turned into a mini Matt Skelton.

He also has a better defence and when that fails, a better chin too.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #28
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by onourway View Post
Froch's like Hatton.

In the case of Nathan Cleverly im not so sure his style would impose too much on Froch's lack of size at the weight, but i agree with what your saying to a certain extent

Kelly Pavlik is in the same boat, to be considered a top level fighter nowadays Pavlik would have to be @160 due to his dependance on size and strength, Giovani Segura is also in this bracket.

Edit: Beeston i agree with your post, i didnt want mine to sound like i believe Froch relies just on size and physical capabilities because he does not

Last edited by thewinfella; 12-29-2012 at 05:39 AM.
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #29
Anaboilc lion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If clev manages to unify two of the belts best bet for froch would be too fight him -

i rekon this fight could match calzaghe v kessler in terms of attendance as long as clev gets another belt - which would bring him a whole heap of more credability

also if bellew could get the wbc title the division would be stacked for big domestic fights
Anaboilc lion is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #30
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe he really believes this pish and that's why he puts on such tremendously shit shows
brown bomber is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum