Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #1
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448
Default Doug Fisher's Recollection of Canelo-GGG Sparring

"Here’s what I recall from the six-round session I witnessed in Big Bear, Calif. (which I wrote about in a Gym Notes column): Alvarez was preparing for his first title defense against Ryan Rhodes and Golovkin, who I’d never seen in person, was getting ready for Kassim Ouma. Golovkin’s trainer, Abel Sanchez, wanted his middleweight to get some work with Canelo in order to experience the faster hands of a naturally smaller fighter. Golovkin was not supposed to give Canelo the “full treatment,” and it was clear from the sparring I saw that he was indeed holding back.

Still, Golovkin “holding back” was a lot for Canelo, only 20 at the time, to deal with. And the young man did well. I’d say he held his own, even though he couldn’t hurt Golvokin with his best shots. What Alvarez showed me in those 4-minute rounds at 6,000-plus-feet altitude was that the Mexican star was willing to put in very hard work in order to learn his craft and to get in proper condition for his fights.

I was not impressed by what I saw of Alvarez during his WBC 154-pound title winning effort against Matthew Hatton three month earlier. He seemed one-dimensional in his approach and his power appeared overrated. I wasn’t even sure if he would get past Rhodes, who was an experienced junior middleweight contender with solid skills. But watching Alvarez work his jab and exhibit good footwork while moving about the ring during his sparring session with Golovkin let me know that the kid was more versatile than most of us had seen in his fights up to that point of his career.

Golovkin hurt Alvarez a few times – a hook at the end of the second round visibly stunned him and some body shots made him wince – but the young man kept his head and found ways to compete even when he was clearly tired (a combination of the altitude and GGG’s pressure) in the last two rounds.

My guess is that Canelo carried a lot of confidence into his fight with Rhodes thanks to the excellent camp and those tough rounds of sparring with Golovkin. However, he shouldn’t think he’s got an edge over the likes of Mayweather just because he’s sparred a few times with a middleweight crusher. Top junior middleweights, such as Mayweather and Austin Trout will present defensive and finesse moves that will challenge the Mexican star in ways Golovkin’s stalk-and-pound style did not.

Still, having said that, I believe that Canelo is a legitimate 154-pound contender (which I know is not a very popular opinion among hardcore boxing fan circles). "
RJJFan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
ALLEXX
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Doug Fisher's Recollection of Canelo-GGG Sparring

In this video interviewer asked Golovkin about Canelo:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

20:34

Reporter: I heard that you sparred with rising star of Mexican boxing Canelo Alvarez. Could you tell us about this Mexican. What do you make of him? Is it true what everybody says that he's so great boxer? Are all of those attentions and hype well-grounded?

Golovkin: Yes, you can say like that. First of all, I want to thank my coach. He has a good sports centre in Big Bear Lake, California. Yes, Saul Alvarez came to us 3 times in a row. We trained together in the same gym. We worked together. Yes, you know, he's promising young boxer with a good sporty skills. He's very promising.

Reporter: We would remind you that before to fight with Pirog, Ishida also sparred with Canelo. And everybody said that he got knocked out from Canelo. All of his opponents fall down, because it's impossible to be competitive against Canelo. You sparred with him, describe us, how was it? Is he really so strong? How do you rate him as a potential rival in the future?

Golovkin: I don't wanna jump the gun. It's very difficult to compare. we are in different weight classes. Ok, let's say he's strong enough for middleweight division. Against the background of other Junior Middleweights he looks younger, but like all boxers he has his strengths and weaknesses, which I saw. We had been working for 1,5 months, one-on-one, and you know he has his breaches and problems. It's not ease as it seems. People say that every his sparring opponents fall down? No, I wouldn't agree with that. I know that Ishida and Canelo have the same manager, so I heard that Saul knocked him out 2 times very badly and to be honest, I didn't expect that he could show something against Pirog. I was surprised, he was broken against Canelo. However a lot of boxers if they are not on a good level, of course, would be broken. You can work one, two days, but when you work for a week, for a month...... you know what I mean.

Ps: I hope u understand ))
ALLEXX is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448
Default Re: Doug Fisher's Recollection of Canelo-GGG Sparring

Thanks very much for the translation!
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
KO Boxing