Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Fights that I was thankful for in 2012......

Good afternoon gentlemen. Unless you're from Japan and will be watching the big boxing cards going on there tomorrow night the year is pretty much over for boxing. So I thought it would be appropriate to look back and reflect on some of the great fights we had in 2012. From the outside looking in it seemed like 2012 was a quite year for boxing. Floyd only fought once. Manny was in two fights, the first one a box office flop with a controversial ending and the second one eventually got the attention it deserved but that was only after receiving little fan fair or attention leading up to it. But when I think about it 2012 had lots of freaking amazing fights that show cased a lot of lesser known stars in balls to the wall type fights and there was plenty of action all round. Here's a list of the fights that come to mind for me that made 2012 a pretty dam awesome year in boxing.

Feel free to add to this list or post your thoughts on the fights you were thankful for in 2012.

1) Donaire vs Vazquez - one of the best fights I've seen anyone give donaire. Props to Vazquez for a good performance.

2) Klitchko(s) vs Chisora......+ Chisora vs Haye I afterwards...freaking epic day of boxing. So much insanity

3) Potvetkin vs. Huck - this was probably the best HW fight I've seen since Liachkovich Brewster. Great fight

4) Salido vs Lopez II - any other year this could have easily been FOTY. Just and epic war. Don't know if either guy will ever be the same.

5) Morales vs Garcia I - Say what you want about aging morales this fight was entertaining and I was hanging onto the edge of my seat by the end of it.

6) Alvarado vs Harrera

7) Mayweather vs Cotto - was great to see Cotto back at the top of his game. And was also great to see floyd in a competitive fight.

Bute vs Froch - I loved this fight. It didn't last very long and Bute got blown away but at least for 4 of the 5 rounds he was looking to give as good as he was getting. It was a very good performance by Froch but some people forget there was pretty good two way action throughout most of it. Also the fact that it was a high risk fight for both guys made it a pretty special event. Props to both guys for taking the fight

9) Chavez Jr. vs Andy Lee - This was a seriously balls out war between two big punching middle weights. Great fight

10) Lopez vs Ortiz - holy crap this was a war Say what you want about Victor Ortiz quitting. The two times he has quit they've been wars right up until the moment he quit. The guy had a broken Jaw and a fractured sternum...I'll give him a pass on the quitting thing....victor's real problem is he's not really good enough to avoid getting in these types of fights...but as long as he's in them I'll keep watching

11) Kell Brook vs Carson Jones - I was impressed by the way that Brook gutted it out in this fight. It was a real war. And it definitely got the adrenaline pumping watching it. Didn't mind the criticism brook took for his perfromance in this fight (Cause he's in the toughest division in boxing and serious contenders shouldn't be given that hard of a fight against a guy like Jones). But that is all a bunch of shit for the future. The fight itself was pretty awesome.

12) Khan vs Garcia - this was looking like another boring beat down until Danny landed that brutal left hook. Then Khan went out on his shield. Respect

13) Haye vs Chisora - I was so happy this fight turned out the way it did. Too often in boxing the fights with the most hype and venom leading up to the fight turn out to be duds in the ring. This one turned out to be a war.

14) Guerrero vs Aydin - This was a very gutsy performance by Guerrero. I was surprised he could box so well at the beginning of the fight and I was really impressed by the way he gutted it out at the end. If I had to be honest, as a man, the guy pisses me off. He talks a lot of smack and comes off as a whinny cunt whenever he bitches about other fighters not wanting to face him....it`s annoying. But his boxing ability can`t be argued with. He has power, movement, combinations. He's a south paw with a good jab and a great right hook. And he can fight on the inside. What's not to like? He's a complete fighter and I think he'll give Floyd a great fight.

15) Felix Sturm vs Daniel Geale - was a pretty solid fight between two top 5 middle weights. Plus the fact that it was a title unification made it that much more interesting to watch.

Last edited by o_money; 12-30-2012 at 07:08 PM.
o_money is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Fights that I was thankful for in 2012......

16) Lucas Matthyssee vs. Ajose Olusegun - Olusegun, gave it everything he had and proved he has top level skill. Matthyssee proved he's the baddest man in the 140lb division. I'd love to see him fight any of the big guns in the division. Pretty sure he could whipe the floor with all of them.

17) Adamek vs Walker

1 Ross vs. Hernandez - I wasn't expecting Ross to give as good a showing as he did and I thought he deserved the win. I hope he gets a rematch cause this was a great fight.

19) Marcos Maidana vs Soto Karass - This fight proved exactly why we love both these guys. I have to give credit to the match makers at Golden boy, cause they new what they were doing when they made this match. Total war. FOTY candidate.

20) Leo Santa Cruz vs Erik Morel - pressure fighting exhibition. Was great to watch.

21) Martinez vs Chavez - Round of the year. The way Martinez got up from the knock down in the 12 and refused to hold. That was some legendary shit.

22) Quillin vs N'Jikam - Good performance by Quillin but for me the star of that fight was N'Jikam, getting knocked down 6 times but getting up everytime and giving everything he had to hold onto his title, that was a great display of championship hart. I'd love to see a rematch or both these guys in more big time fights.

23) Rios vs. alvarado - some of the best sustained action I've ever seen. Probably better then Castillo Corrales from that point of view. The ending was so-so but the fight was great. Like Lopez Salido if it was any other year this would have easily been FOTY.

24) DeMarco vs Broner - Was a one-sided fight but it was such an impressive performance by broner that I'm dam glad I got a chance to see it.

25) Burns vs Mitchell - I always love the domestic british tare-ups because they always have such great atmosphere's. You brits are spoiled in that way. This fight was great to watch on some lame ass stream...I'm dam jealous of those of you who actually got to go to it.

26) Moreno vs Mares - Great fight.

27) Berto vs Guerrero - FOTY candidate.

2 Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez - fight of the year, knock out of the year, performance of the year, and the making of a Mexican legend to rival Chavez and Sanchez. Need I say more. What a great fight and a great way to end off a great year in boxing.

Anyways I've heard from a lot of people that this was an off year in boxing but I think the above list shows that we had a great year with lots and lots of great fights. I know I probably missed plenty of others. If you got anything to add feel free, otherwise have a happy new year brothers And lets hope 2013 brings just as many great fights and good action.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

it was a good year for boxing. The Floyd aspect was not. I still want him to fight the top guys. Donaire and Marquez fought well. Ward. Froch. it was good year.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Tackleberry
The Reverse Somersault!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Good list
Tackleberry is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
it was a good year for boxing. The Floyd aspect was not. I still want him to fight the top guys. Donaire and Marquez fought well. Ward. Froch. it was good year.
Ya I was glad Froch made a return to the top this year. He's a true warrior and I'll be sad when his time comes. Ward proved he's one of the best and looked great beating dawson. Its just too bad he only fough once. I thought Chad would give him a better test then he did though. I gotta say I'm disappointed with that. I hope he gets his shoulder healed properly and gets himself into a couple of big fights in 2013.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
FloydPatterson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 976

Great List.

Was Povetkin-Huck that good? I'll check it out then.

And Good job putting Quillin-N'Jikam on the list
FloydPatterson is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
Good list
Thanks man It was a lot of work and I don't know howmany people will actually read it, as it is so long and this time of year there's not too many people on ESB....But had some time to kill so figured I'd do my part to give props to the good things that happened this year in the world of boxing.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydPatterson View Post
Great List.

Was Povetkin-Huck that good? I'll check it out then.

And Good job putting Quillin-N'Jikam on the list
You're welcome.

And yes it was. Everyone should check it out. Huck was really impressive. He is significantly smaller then Povetkin but he basically stayed in the pocket and warred it out with Povetkin the whole fight. Good sustained action. Real impressive shit.
o_money is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum