Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Danny Garcia on Amir Khan's Speed

I like Garcia, actually. He looked distinctly average, but he's got a good boxing brain on him and I think he's maturing.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chinned View Post
Pretty much admitted it was a lucky punch.
Theres no such thing as a lucky punch....if you throw you always intend to land
icemax is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
Khan has no chin.

No chin no brain = no chance
"If you are an American, you can **** off" hahahaha....great stuff, love the accent
icemax is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #19
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I like Garcia, actually. He looked distinctly average, but he's got a good boxing brain on him and I think he's maturing.
how do you think he does against Tim Bradley or Lucas Matthyse?
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
Really like Garcia. His dad is a bad twat but Danny comes across a nice, smart, down-to-Earth guy.
Agreed. Danny is really starting to grow on me as a fighter and a person.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #21
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I have to admit his Dad is an idiot and a bit of a PR disaster but Garcia is a nice guy quite down to earth and honest. They should let him go in front of the mic a bit more rather than letting his dad bulldoze through like an idiot.

In terms of the Khan fight I can see peoples point saying no such thing as a lucky punch which I agree with. I have to come down on the side of Khan though. He was in control and looked the better fighter it was his fight to lose which he did spectacularly by being reckless.

Next time Khan will have to come with something different because he wont have that shock advantage with his speed anymore like he does with so many of his opponents. I still think Khan is the better fighter by a bit.
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #22
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
how do you think he does against Tim Bradley or Lucas Matthyse?
I think Bradley beats him on points, with some really competitive rounds in the final third. Timmy's so rounded he can change his gameplan on the fly and I think Danny would struggle with that. But by the end I think he'd be having some success, just not enough to get Bradley out of there.

Matthysse - well, Lucas can be outboxed, it's just whether you can withstand his pressure for the whole fight. It's harder to pick, but I could see Garcia winning it with his sharper punching and movement.

He'll always labour in fights and look unimpressive at times (much like Abner Mares) because he's got athletic and physical limitations.

But he's got solid foundations and he's a thinker in the ring, so he can find the way to win.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #23
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrimc View Post
Next time Khan will have to come with something different because he wont have that shock advantage with his speed anymore like he does with so many of his opponents. I still think Khan is the better fighter by a bit.
Khan just needs to show him angles and leave a lot less to counter.

The routine is quite simple, Move around, use the ring, don't engage for more than a moment here and there, 1-2 and away, 1-2 and away, always away from the left hook, if unsure that you can get back out in time, grab hold until the ref seperates you.

Garcia is not a front foot pressure fighter, when he does come forward he has lead feet, even when he had khan on jelly legs, it really did take him a long time to finish the job, because he's not got any footspeed to speak of, and he still has to wind his punches up.

It's not rocket science how to win with Khans skills vs Garcias weaknesses, but it's khan.

I'd be neither surprised by Khan getting himself stopped again or winning 120-108 on the cards. Either is as likely as the other.
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #24
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Khan just needs to show him angles and leave a lot less to counter.

The routine is quite simple, Move around, use the ring, don't engage for more than a moment here and there, 1-2 and away, 1-2 and away, always away from the left hook, if unsure that you can get back out in time, grab hold until the ref seperates you.

Garcia is not a front foot pressure fighter, when he does come forward he has lead feet, even when he had khan on jelly legs, it really did take him a long time to finish the job, because he's not got any footspeed to speak of, and he still has to wind his punches up.

It's not rocket science how to win with Khans skills vs Garcias weaknesses, but it's khan.

I'd be neither surprised by Khan getting himself stopped again or winning 120-108 on the cards. Either is as likely as the other.
Khan doesn't know how to hold though. Seriously, he has no inside game whatsoever. I just think that someone who isn't overwhelmed by Khan's handspeed, is willing to take a few shots in order to land their own and someone who commits to either the counter left hook or the overhand right is always going to be trouble for Khan. A mentally and physically tough counter-puncher with power, timing and correct punching form is a stylistic nightmare for Amir. Guys like Garcia and Marquez are this exactly.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #25
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrimc View Post
I have to admit his Dad is an idiot and a bit of a PR disaster but Garcia is a nice guy quite down to earth and honest. They should let him go in front of the mic a bit more rather than letting his dad bulldoze through like an idiot.

In terms of the Khan fight I can see peoples point saying no such thing as a lucky punch which I agree with. I have to come down on the side of Khan though. He was in control and looked the better fighter it was his fight to lose which he did spectacularly by being reckless.

I'd pick Khan to win the next time round as well. I thought he'd win the first fight too but at his best, Khan has too much for Garcia to deal with IMO. It's a bit simplistic to think Garcia landing that left hook again would have the same impact and would be the beginning of the end for Khan.

It's stylistically a fight Khan should relish in truth because his flurrying can look highly effective vs someone who has to set his feet before throwing and who can look a bit lost vs a moving target. Maybe it's an excuse but Khan didn't have ideal preparation first time round but I think if they had a rematch, he'd be better drilled into how to deal with Garcia.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #26
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I think Bradley beats him on points, with some really competitive rounds in the final third. Timmy's so rounded he can change his gameplan on the fly and I think Danny would struggle with that. But by the end I think he'd be having some success, just not enough to get Bradley out of there.

Matthysse - well, Lucas can be outboxed, it's just whether you can withstand his pressure for the whole fight. It's harder to pick, but I could see Garcia winning it with his sharper punching and movement.

He'll always labour in fights and look unimpressive at times (much like Abner Mares) because he's got athletic and physical limitations.

But he's got solid foundations and he's a thinker in the ring, so he can find the way to win.
I've got to disagree with a few things in this post. I'm not Bradley's biggest fan but I think he has more than enough variation and accuracy to comfortably handle Garcia. I'd imagine it being a wide, wide decision.

Matthysse is the better mover of the two also in my opinion and is far dynamic than Garcia with his pressure. It would be closer than the Bradley fight no doubt and Matthysse is so open defensively that of course Garcia has a chance but Matthysse is a better combination puncher, is physically stronger and more relentless so I'd heavily favour him too.

Also, just on Mares, there's no doubt that Abner has lapses in his fights (it's a recurring problem for him) but he is a far more well rounded fighter than Garcia I feel.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #27
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I'd pick Khan to win the next time round as well. I thought he'd win the first fight too but at his best, Khan has too much for Garcia to deal with IMO. It's a bit simplistic to think Garcia landing that left hook again would have the same impact and would be the beginning of the end for Khan.

It's stylistically a fight Khan should relish in truth because his flurrying can look highly effective vs someone who has to set his feet before throwing and who can look a bit lost vs a moving target. Maybe it's an excuse but Khan didn't have ideal preparation first time round but I think if they had a rematch, he'd be better drilled into how to deal with Garcia.
I think you are right stylistically Khan in theory should be a bit of a nightmare for most but the real top level fighters. Unfortunately like many fast handed fighters he seems to have a bit of a fatal flaw and its not his chin. Its his ring IQ he is too aggressive.

Khan could be a very effective and slightly more boring fighter with a flurry and move tactic. He doesnt need to get involved he can throw 3 punches and move away before his opponent has a chance to set himself. It seems to me with the aggressive version of Khan if you can survive an early overwhelming as demonstrated by Maidana and Peterson you can begin to hunt a predictable Khan down.

Khan with his attributes should only really struggle with a very technical boxer type who can take advantage of his limited punch selection. The other would be a proper pressure fighter who can cut the ring down and then get inside Khans long arms mid to close range and rough him up.

Garcia is neither of those.
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

I don't think Khan was that reckless after the knockdown. Too much being made of that.

Garcia just started simply shellacking him around the ring. Khan was trying to box him and stay on the outside but Garcia was just throwing bombs. He really stepped through the gears.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #29
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I've got to disagree with a few things in this post. I'm not Bradley's biggest fan but I think he has more than enough variation and accuracy to comfortably handle Garcia. I'd imagine it being a wide, wide decision.
That's more or less what I'm saying, i just think it might be a little closer.

Quote:
Matthysse is the better mover of the two also in my opinion and is far dynamic than Garcia with his pressure. It would be closer than the Bradley fight no doubt and Matthysse is so open defensively that of course Garcia has a chance but Matthysse is a better combination puncher, is physically stronger and more relentless so I'd heavily favour him too.
Matthysse, while one of my current favourites, isn't the beast some are making him out to be. He's a decent puncher and can put his shots together nicely, but he's methodical and wide-open. He also goes in straight lines to his opponent and leads with the same few shots. I think Garcia, who's a well schooled counter-puncher by style - not a pressure fighter, can get off enough and get out enough to take a decision. But it wouldn't be an easy fight and Matthysse's relentless style could carry him over just as easily.

Quote:
Also, just on Mares, there's no doubt that Abner has lapses in his fights (it's a recurring problem for him) but he is a far more well rounded fighter than Garcia I feel.
That wasn't really my point, I'm just saying that these guys' style and physical attributes mean they always look a little laboured. It's nothing to do with lapses. Mares, who I really like too, just lacks those extra special attributes that would let him dominate his fellow world-level opposition.

It's also why Donaire would clean him out in six rounds.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #30
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonavena25 View Post
I don't think Khan was that reckless after the knockdown. Too much being made of that.

Garcia just started simply shellacking him around the ring. Khan was trying to box him and stay on the outside but Garcia was just throwing bombs. He really stepped through the gears.
Garcia just physically overwhelmed him for me.

Amir didn't have the infighting skills necessary to hold and he didn't have his legs under him to run. As a result, he tried to fight back at mid-range and just gave Danny the perfect amount of room and distance required to get his best shots off. Amir's legs wern't there so he had no power behind his shots which meant that Danny could just load up without being too fearful of what was coming back at him.
Boxalot is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum