Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
bailey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 80
Default What are peoples opinions of the Robert Guerrero / Orlando Salido NC

What are peoples opinions of the Robert Guerrero / Orlando Salido NC?

Salido looked to have outpointed Guerrero only for the fight to be made into a NC.
I do not know enough about the tests involved for pro athletes, but how was the test negative the very next day?

Quote:
Salido’s biggest victory came in November 2006, a wide-points decision over Robert Guerrero. But the match was overturned to a no-contest when the native of Sonora, Mexico tested positive for the steroid nandrolone following the bout.
While Salido had a follow-up blood test a day later at LabCorp, which found him to be negative for steroids, the Nevada State Athletic Commission upheld their ruling – a big setback for Salido’s career.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

After looking at further information on what Salido tested for, I read that

Quote:
Exercise alone, too, doesn't cause any problems. But a combination of both dietary supplements (none of which contain a banned substance) and exercise, can result in a positive nandrolone test. The reason for this is still unclear, but one theory is that there is a link between heavy training, the dehydration that goes with it, and their effects upon the components of high protein diets. Until more work is done, however, the 'nandrolone mystery' goes on...

So what is your opinion on the fight, result and test result queries?
bailey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
comanick
Journeyman

vCash: 400
Default Re: What are peoples opinions of the Robert Guerrero / Orlando Salido NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
What are peoples opinions of the Robert Guerrero / Orlando Salido NC?

Salido looked to have outpointed Guerrero only for the fight to be made into a NC.
I do not know enough about the tests involved for pro athletes, but how was the test negative the very next day?

After looking at further information on what Salido tested for, I read that

So what is your opinion on the fight, result and test result queries?
The result is what it is. He got caught with a banned substance. Did that help him win the fight? I dont think so. He didnt knock RG out, he out-boxed him. I remember the fight well. He could handle RG's power and the ghost never figured out how to effectively outbox him when he couldnt hurt him. Because of that fight i dont rated the ghost that high. Why, because salido shouldnt be outboxing you if you are a good boxer. I watched salido fight juan ma marquez a couple a fights before ghost and he couldnt do anything with marquez.
comanick is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
bailey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: What are peoples opinions of the Robert Guerrero / Orlando Salido NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanick View Post
The result is what it is. He got caught with a banned substance. Did that help him win the fight? I dont think so. He didnt knock RG out, he out-boxed him. I remember the fight well. He could handle RG's power and the ghost never figured out how to effectively outbox him when he couldnt hurt him. Because of that fight i dont rated the ghost that high. Why, because salido shouldnt be outboxing you if you are a good boxer. I watched salido fight juan ma marquez a couple a fights before ghost and he couldnt do anything with marquez.
Marquez is a special fighter, to be fair.
bailey is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
PBFred
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanick View Post
Because of that fight i dont rated the ghost that high. Why, because salido shouldnt be outboxing you if you are a good boxer.
To be fair, it was more than 6 years ago and Guerrero has improved greatly since then, especially since moving to lightweight.
PBFred is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I don't know what to think of the test results, it seemed very odd that he could test positive one day and negative basically the next.

In terms of the fight Guerrero didn't appear to have a plan b and in that fight didn't strike me as a very talented fighter. Since then he appears to have improved somewhat.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
bailey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFred View Post
To be fair, it was more than 6 years ago and Guerrero has improved greatly since then, especially since moving to lightweight.
Robert was the champ at the time and Salido the challenger with 9 losses and 2 draws
bailey is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
bailey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
I don't know what to think of the test results, it seemed very odd that he could test positive one day and negative basically the next.

In terms of the fight Guerrero didn't appear to have a plan b and in that fight didn't strike me as a very talented fighter. Since then he appears to have improved somewhat.
The report on Boxrec
Quote:
Salido tested positive for the steroid nandrolone after the fight. However, Salido had a follow-up blood test the day after at LabCorp, a nationally recognized blood lab, and the findings were negative of any steroids.
bailey is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Salido > Guerrero. Simple common sense. P4P he is greater, in every way he is greater.
Whether he had taken steroids or not, I still pick Salido to beat Guerrero.

BOTH FIGHTERS HAVE IMPROVED since 2006. A huge learning period for Salido was his close loss to Cristobal Cruz. Gamboa was just too fast and was not a good match up for Salido.
anj is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
PBFred
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Robert was the champ at the time and Salido the challenger with 9 losses and 2 draws
Paper champ and fighting cans. It's really not debatable that Guerrero has improved since moving to lightweight.

Anyway, legit win for Saildo IMO and he's a proven warrior so no shame in that.
PBFred is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Mamerto
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 302

Salido beat him fair and square, the official result is BS.
Mamerto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum