Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #31
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who doesn't rate Robinson #1?

I do have Robinson #1 but Charles would be a very close second IMO. Ezzard`s resume is very impressive. Maybe not the spectacular performer that Sugar Ray was but just as effective.

Last edited by ETM; 01-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.
ETM is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 AM   #32
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I have Greb and Langford above him, but not so it matters.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 AM   #33
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Langford is my #1
kmac is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #34
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
1. Benny Leonard
2. Ray Leonard
3. Pernell Whitaker
4. Ray Robinson
There is a bigger gap between 4. Robinson & 5. Louis, than between 1. B. Leonard & 4. Robinson.
5. Joe Louis
6. Ezzard Charles
7. Floyd Mayweather
8. Barney Ross
9. Thomas Hearns
10. Henry Armstrong
you have Barney Ross above Henry Armstrong?
You have Henry Armstrong at 10!
Floyd Mayweather above Henry Armstrong !

WHUUUUT
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #35
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

ripshitty does it again
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #36
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Armstrong over Robinson? Well, I do find Robinson slightly overrated. Don't get me wrong - he's still the go-to boxer when you want to show off the old school to anyone who's interested
Pardon the change of topic, but what's the "old school" you'd show? Just about everything he does, except the low left, is taught in boxing gyms today. I don't see any lost art there, just a guy that performed it better than almost anyone else.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Pardon the change of topic, but what's the "old school" you'd show? Just about everything he does, except the low left, is taught in boxing gyms today. I don't see any lost art there, just a guy that performed it better than almost anyone else.
You misinterpreted me. Think again mate
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #38
masterorder19
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Langford
Greb
Armstrong
Fitz
Ezzard

yes
masterorder19 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #39
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Some did one thing or another better then Robby, but none of them did all of them together at the level he did. Ko power to head and body with both hands, every punch in the book, superior speed of hand and foot, as good a jaw as any boxer ever had, resistant to cutting, great endurance, no one superior in boxing knowledge, longevity of career, top of the line opponents of every style and strength. Nuff said friends.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Robinson is a top candidate. I have Roy Jones as one of the modern fighters edging him out. I just think he's a better fighter
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #41
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Robinson is a top candidate. I have Roy Jones as one of the modern fighters edging him out. I just think he's a better fighter
Entirely possible. But is he a greater fighter?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #42
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
You misinterpreted me. Think again mate
Ok. I see what you mean, I think.

Robinson's style and skill is a fantastic example of how beautiful boxing can be.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #43
stevebhoy87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't really have a list but if I did I imagine Robinson would be number 1. Have no issues with the likes of Greb, Armstong or Langford above him though
stevebhoy87 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #44
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Ok. I see what you mean, I think.

Robinson's style and skill is a fantastic example of how beautiful boxing can be.
Yeah, when I want to show someone a nice highlight reel of a classic fighter, he's the go-to guy.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #45
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
No Duran but Mayweather's in.

May I ask why?
1. He's a better boxer
2. Has a better resume. I hold wins more important than just names. While Mayweather lacks a "career maker" win and because of that his resume can't be called great. As it stands it's pretty solid. Duran beat Leonard and he deserves cridit for that win. However it was a close fight. Leonard was able to keep pace with Duran, fighting Duran's fight. Any other time Duran "steeped up": Leonard (Twice), Bentiez, Hearns and Hagler he lost. Before you point out Duran's age all but his third fight with Leonard took place before he was Mayweather's current age 35.

Dose Mayweather have the names that Duran has? No, However he's beating a list of very solid oppoents by very clear margains.
G. Hernandez who Mayweather beat for his WBC 130 championship had only lost to De La Hoya at his peak. Going in to the fight D. Corrales was expected to be a major test if not even favored by some to win. This is considred by quite a few people to be to this day Mayweather's best win. Even if you consider the first J.L. Castillo a loss. I don't. It's just one loss. He won the rematch "avenging his so called defeat" by a larger margan than the score cards show. when A. Gatti was on a hot streak he was pretty good. Going into the fight he had not lost in 4 years. Despite losing to Baldomir in his previous fight Z, Judah was thought to be seriously cappable of beating Maywerather. Don't be fooled by C. Baldomir's 43-9-6 record. He was on a 19-0-2 run since his last loss, and on a7 fight wining streak. With wins over Judah and Gatti. De La Hoya may not have been at his 135-147 best, but he probbly was the best at the time at 154. A case could be made that he beat Mosley in their second fight. I think he was better thing Wright. I don't think the fight was as close as the score cards showed. Hatton was the best at 140 and beat Collazo who gave just about anyone he fought problems. J. M. Marquez was a top 3 pound 4 pound boxer at the time. At the time the fight might have seemed like something of a miss match. However if you look at Marquez proformances against Pacquiao in their last two fights. It's more clear that Mayweather was just better and the 2 lbs he had on Marquez was a minor factor if that. Before we talk about Mosley/Mayweather, lets talk about Mosley/Margarito. Margarito is very overrated. Consider that ther is reason to beleive that his career is a complete fraud. He did have one thing going for him. He had a great chin. You can argue that Margarito lost his confidance when he was found out. However that dose not expliane Mosley completly destroyinhg him. Ortiz and Cotto are also quility oppoents, but slightly over hyped.

In terms of names the advantage goes to Duran. I don't think there are any 4 Mayweather oppoents who as good as Leonard, Bentiez, Hearns and Hagler. However if you take Mayweather's consistanty in beating a few (future) Hall of famers at high points in their careers.
ripcity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum