Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
warchild
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most shafted fighters in history.

Marlon Starling deserves mention.

Lost a technical decision to Johnny Bumpus after a cut from an accidental headbutt, in a fight that Starling seemed to be on his way to winning.

Hammered Mark Breland from ringpost to ringpost for twelve rounds, most of which Breland seemed to spend on the canvas....and walked away with a draw in one of the worst decisions ever.

Lost his WBA welterweight title when he was flattened by an after-the-bell shot from Tomas Molinares....even though the decision was later ruled a no contest, Starling wasn't given the belt back.

Lost his WBC welterweight title via questionable decision loss to Maurice Blocker, retired immediately afterward, and never fought again.

Last edited by hhascup; 02-04-2007 at 03:07 PM.
warchild is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #17
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild
Marlon Starling deserves mention.

Lost a technical decision to Johnny Bumpus after a cut from an accidental headbutt, in a fight that Starling seemed to be on his way to winning.

Hammered Mark Breland from ringpost to ringpost for twelve rounds, most of which Breland seemed to spend on the canvas....and walked away with a draw in one of the worst decisions ever.

Lost his WBA welterweight title when he was flattened by an after-the-bell shot from Tomas Molinares....even though the decision was later ruled a no contest, Starling wasn't given the belt back.

Lost his WBC welterweight title via questionable decision loss to Maurice Blocker, retired immediately afterward, and never fought again.
The Breland/Starling rematch was no robbery IMO, both sucked and gave each other far too much respect, hugging aech other for 12 boring rounds.

The Molinares thing was bad, but he got his big fight anyway with Honeyghan, and took full advantage of it.

The Blocker fight again could of gone either way, but I would not say Starling was shafted.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
warchild
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
The Breland/Starling rematch was no robbery IMO, both sucked and gave each other far too much respect, hugging aech other for 12 boring rounds.

The Molinares thing was bad, but he got his big fight anyway with Honeyghan, and took full advantage of it.

The Blocker fight again could of gone either way, but I would not say Starling was shafted.
The Starling/Breland rematch was one of the worst decisions ever. From what I remember Breland was on the canvas something like seven times. It seemed almost impossible that Breland could have earned a draw....I haven't seen it in a long time though.

The other two I can agree with....the Starling/Honeyghan fight would have been a unification fight though. Although I did think that Molinares won the fight on a foul, Starling was winding up to throw a right hand at the same time, but Molinares' right hand landed first....it was a strange situation all around.

Last edited by warchild; 02-08-2008 at 06:00 PM.
warchild is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #19
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Sorry gents, it's the boys who never got in there in the first place.

Step forward Charley Burley, p4p great, Welterweight great, Middleweight great, never to get in at the business end.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #20
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict

Juan LaPorte
bxrfan is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #21
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Yes, Juan LaPorte is a good answer. Pernell Whitaker didn't lose often, but when he did is was usually controversial: Chavez Draw was scandalous, De La Hoya loss was highly questionable, and the Ramirez loss was concivably the worst robbery in the history of boxing.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #22
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
The Starling/Breland rematch was one of the worst decisions ever. From what I remember Breland was on the canvas something like seven times. It seemed almost impossible that Breland could have earned a draw....I haven't seen it in a long time though.
Neither of them threw a punch of any note for 12 rounds, I do not know you got the Breland down seven times from
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
Ken Norton because he should have been 2-1 against Ali. Even the one he 'lost' is subject to scrutiny. Norton was not flamboyant he was just a really good fighter.
I agree with Norton. He was royally shafted in that 3rd fight with Ali, and I've seen the fight repeatedly and feel the same way. I also feel Young got a raw deal against Ali as well. As for Floyd Patterson, I feel he deserved the 2nd fight with Quarry as well as the Ellis fight. But talk about a true sportsman and a gentleman, after both of those robberies, he merely congratulated both men in the ring afterwards after those fights and didn't complain at all. In terms of character, Floyd Patterson was a MAN among boys.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #24
warchild
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Neither of them threw a punch of any note for 12 rounds, I do not know you got the Breland down seven times from
Like I said, I haven't seen it in a long time. If I remember correctly, that was the fight where Breland kept flopping to the canvas for no apparent reason....it was strange. Sometimes it was difficult to tell if something was wrong with Breland, or if Starling's shots were causing him to go down. Starling had Breland hurt and came pretty close to stopping him in that fight on a couple of occasions. I remember it being a highly controversial decision as well.

On a side note....it was scheduled for 12 rounds instead of the 15 that the initial encouter was scheduled for. Do you think that Breland would have made it three more rounds?....he seemed to be strangely weak/fatigued/frail in that fight.

At any rate, it's Starling's fault that it turned out the way that it did....he should have made short work of Breland in the rematch IMO. I'll have to get a copy a re-watch it.
warchild is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #25
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Joe Choynski is a good pick.

He should have won the first Sharkey fight, both McCoy fights, an additional Goddard fight and a few more.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #26
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Like I said, I haven't seen it in a long time. If I remember correctly, that was the fight where Breland kept flopping to the canvas for no apparent reason....it was strange. Sometimes it was difficult to tell if something was wrong with Breland, or if Starling's shots were causing him to go down. Starling had Breland hurt and came pretty close to stopping him in that fight on a couple of occasions. I remember it being a highly controversial decision as well.

On a side note....it was scheduled for 12 rounds instead of the 15 that the initial encouter was scheduled for. Do you think that Breland would have made it three more rounds?....he seemed to be strangely weak/fatigued/frail in that fight.

At any rate, it's Starling's fault that it turned out the way that it did....he should have made short work of Breland in the rematch IMO. I'll have to get a copy a re-watch it.
From what I remember it would of been a case of if the officals and crowd could of stayed awake for another three rounds, rather than Breland.

I will state though Breland did not deserve even the piece of alphabet crap offered for the fight that night, it was an awful performance by him. Some say rightly when a fight is scored a draw, it is fair because neither deserved to lose; well Breland/StarlingII draw was fair as well, as neither deserved to win IMO.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #27
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Uh?
He was shafted in the Antufermo fight, and probably the Leonard fight, not to mention his opportunity to celebrate his winning the title was taken away from him as well.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2008, 01:24 AM   #28
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Emmanuel Augustus has been flagrantly robbed more often than any other fighter I've ever seen.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #29
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Lowe
Emile Griffith...literally

Unless he was the butch not the bitch.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #30
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
He was shafted in the Antufermo fight, and probably the Leonard fight, not to mention his opportunity to celebrate his winning the title was taken away from him as well.
I think Shafted is going a bit too far, as far AntufermoI and Leonard goes. The Petronelli's need to hold their hands up to some very poor tactics...
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum