Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #31
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: What could Leonard done to win his fight with Duran? Fought his fight instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
For most of his career he fought Durans fight, though he was stiffer than usual.

Anyway at 145 he was physically superior to Duran in every way, he just got outskilled too much.

Not in there 2nd fight....
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: What could Leonard done to win his fight with Duran? Fought his fight instead?

I just think Leonard should have stayed away from Duran..
Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #33
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
For most of the fight he was makin it easy For Duran by staying close and flat footed, it should have been a bouncing moving jabbing fast combinations eonard against Duran..So what could leonard have done to win this fight like he was supposed to?
There a rubber stamp kept somewhere with this thread marked on it, and every now and then someone goes and finds it, feels compelled to use it, and away we go again...and again...and again
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #34
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
There a rubber stamp kept somewhere with this thread marked on it, and every now and then someone goes and finds it, feels compelled to use it, and away we go again...and again...and again

Sorry my man..Ive never seen one and its a question I just had to ask.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #35
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Sorry my man..Ive never seen one and its a question I just had to ask.
Do a Search here. I'm sure you find the answer you seek....again....and again...and again
Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #36
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Do a Search here. I'm sure you find the answer you seek....again....and again...and again
Thanks dude!..
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
The Worm!!!..Did you ever find him Philly?
The only thing I have ever come across is Hagler II & III.....If anyone has any let me know...Willing to trade or buy!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #38
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

I've decided to arbitrarily hijack this thread. Since were in the Fab Four era; who did skipping the 1980 olympics hurt the most. Davey Moore? Donald Curry? Somebody i'm not thinking of?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #39
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I won't comment too much don't worry. But I do think Leonard was the variable and always was absolutely 100 percent. When they fought I was 15. I remember thinking wow so many excuses for Duran. If one excuse like the steak and gallon of water for Duran's stomach ache as the immediate problem for quitting in round 8, then they say he didn't train to explain why he could not compete at all. No credit was given for Ray who absolutely fought a different fight. If you compare the first and second fights Ray's foot movement is totally different as was his gameplan. Duran's was not. That is why I say Ray was the variable. And he did it in two fights post June of 1980, one fight 9 years later.
Twoz on my 24th birthday that DURAN the GREAT beat the crap out your hero yooz being 15 & gutted at the result

If only back then i'd been able to teleport into your front room & kicked yer ****in head in & then stamped all yer ****in teeth out as a double bonus birthday present teleport back to the land of the mighty, hit the boozer with me chums, 1st record on the jukebox would be Lou Reeds, it's a perfect day Long live Star Trek!
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #40
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Twoz on my 24th birthday that DURAN the GREAT beat the crap out your hero yooz being 15 & gutted at the result

If only back then i'd been able to teleport into your front room & kicked yer ****in head in & then stamped all yer ****in teeth out as a double bonus birthday present teleport back to the land of the mighty, hit the boozer with me chums, 1st record on the jukebox would be Lou Reeds, it's a perfect day Long live Star Trek!
I actually think mag is more of a hearns fan.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #41
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I've decided to arbitrarily hijack this thread. Since were in the Fab Four era; who did skipping the 1980 olympics hurt the most. Davey Moore? Donald Curry? Somebody i'm not thinking of?
I think Curry..
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #42
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:

I believe it was his shoulder Duran was bitchin about..
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #43
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Plain and simple in there 2nd fight Duran bitched out...
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #44
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:

Star Trek was a great show, but the main thing is that for Ray or Duran the fact remains that Duran could not duplicate the result. If he really could dominate Ray he would have won that rematch. And the third fight is significant. It proves Ray was the variable.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #45
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I actually think mag is more of a hearns fan.
Yes, much much more of a Hearns fan. Leonard? Even when he lost to Norris I was not upset at all. My focus was on Tommy. I admit when Tommy lost to Hagler and Barkley I was more down and upset than a boxing match should make anyone, except the fighters themselves. I know it sounds stupid, but with your heros it is hard to see them stopped or lose.

As for Leonard, actually when he lost to Norris I felt justified a little. Back in 1987 he comes back into boxing after Tommy and Roberto and Marvin kept fighting, Ray was doing commentary and didn't seem to want to come back in 5 years . So he sees Hagler diminished and beats Hagler when he handpicks him after Marvin starts to decline after Hearns and for Mugabi. Then he wants to finish off the decade by winning 2 titles on one night with Lalonde (to match Hearns with 5 titles) and then to beat Hearns when Tommy is diminished and then he fights Duran again. The Hearns fight derailed him a little and he did beat Duran in a third fight knowing he had a great style for Roberto, so he accomplished that, but to me he snuck in and tried to steal the fighter of the decade against his contemporaries who fought the whole decade.

And those titles against Lalonde. It does not take away from him as a great fighter. ATG top 10 in my mind, but that 1987-1990 stuff was ridiculous. So when Norris came up, honestly I was sort of glad to see him lose and have to retire, and the same year Tommy beats Virgil Hill by UD to win the 175 pound title and to me that showed how hard work and experience came through in the end over handpicking and opportunism of Leonard.

So it is not about being a fan of Leonard which is why I mention the Duran and Leonard stuff in the first two fights, it is actually my opinion that Ray was the variable. He fought Duran's fight and he hung in there 15 rounds like he said. He said "I fought this man at his own game and almost won". Then he wins easily in the rematch after he said he would fight his fight. He proved he was the reason for the win in the second fight, and the third fight just shows how even a diminished Ray still had the style to beat a Duran who had a world title at 160.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum