Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
NathanMcMahon

vCash: 500
Default Wrist Size?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I'm new here. I'm wondering whether anybody has found that their wrists have grown since they started to box?

I know it's more often than not said that "You can't increase the size of your wrists." but I've also heard that you can from other sources. If I was to try and increase my wrist size (I'm 17 and haven't boxed for a couple of years, I started again a week or so ago) should I wear wraps etc?

Do callisthenics increase wrist size? I figure they would and I also wonder as my cousin is an Olympic gymnast on those hoop things and he has pretty massive wrists.

Or, with me being 17 years old should I expect some growth naturally before I finish filling out? I started filling out about 4-6 months ago now. My dad's wrists are about 8", whereas my mother has a smaller frame, probably because she's a woman. My own wrists are a little under 7"

Thanks for any help.
NathanMcMahon is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wrist Size?

There's a very effective exercise for this involving a wall, but I'm f.ucked if I can remember the name..
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant-man View Post
There's a very effective exercise for this involving a wall, but I'm f.ucked if I can remember the name..
F.uck! I know it involves sitting but the name eludes me, gonna wind me up all day this.
lepinthehood is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Why are big wrists a goal for you?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Kid Cincinnati
GOOD BOY NATION
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

I can understand why you'd want to increase your wrist size. I have massive 8.25'' wrists myself, but I'm sure Team Elite, for example, would not accept a member who has anything less than 8''.

There was a wrist size thread in the general, I think, a while back, that linked to an article by a guy who made a study of wrist size and how it mostly correlates to the size of your frame/skeleton.

Here's a link to the study.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Kid Cincinnati is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cincinnati View Post
I can understand why you'd want to increase your wrist size. I have massive 8.25'' wrists myself, but I'm sure Team Elite, for example, would not accept a member who has anything less than 8''.

There was a wrist size thread in the general, I think, a while back, that linked to an article by a guy who made a study of wrist size and how it mostly correlates to the size of your frame/skeleton.

Here's a link to the study.

You're correct that it has to do with bone size over which you have very little applicable control as it pretty much is genetic. You're incorrect that it matters all that much and citing one article with the claims of just one 'scientist' (was it even peer-reviewed) doesn't change that.

I question the Pacquiao eight inch measurement.

There is, however, probably some merit to Pacquiao having a larger skeletal chassis than his peers and not being quite as "undersized" as legend purports. (he did start at light flyweight, but his balls had barely dropped yet). The idea that he might not be all that small a welter in skeletal terms (just vertical stature) might have legs.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Kid Cincinnati
GOOD BOY NATION
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
You're incorrect that it matters all that much and citing one article with the claims of just one 'scientist' (was it even peer-reviewed) doesn't change that.
Well I understand your skepticism, of course. It is after all only one report. Hopefully something will come out of Lichtenstein on this in the next few years that will bring more clarity to this subject.
Kid Cincinnati is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
You're correct that it has to do with bone size over which you have very little applicable control as it pretty much is genetic. You're incorrect that it matters all that much.
What makes you think it matters so little. I'm not so sure. I reckon it's key..

More data on this would be fascinating..
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
What makes you think it matters so little. I'm not so sure. I reckon it's key..
Wrist strength, or actual size?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Wrist strength, or actual size?
I read it that you thought bone density wasn't all that important?
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
I read it that you thought bone density wasn't all that important?
Not what I thought or said. Overall bone density does play a role in strength.

I don't think specifically worrying about the size of your wrist - especially with it being something beyond your control - is particularly important.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
closedguard
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Bigger wrists mean bigger bones and the advantages are the following. A. Bigger bones can take a punch. B. Bigger bone marrow means loads of red blood cells= more stamina. C. The bigger the skeleton the more weight one can put on it.

I've always said that one can produce a world champion with in 6 months of training and science is starting to back me.
closedguard is online now  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
NathanMcMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by closedguard View Post
Bigger wrists mean bigger bones and the advantages are the following. A. Bigger bones can take a punch. B. Bigger bone marrow means loads of red blood cells= more stamina. C. The bigger the skeleton the more weight one can put on it.

I've always said that one can produce a world champion with in 6 months of training and science is starting to back me.
Look at Mike Tyson, Cus always said that he was going to be the champ, even from day one apparently. You're absolutely right in that this is the reason I would like larger wrists, it was to do with frame size. I guess now a smarter question would be about my frame in general; is it likely to get much bigger? The wrist is just one aspect that I was using as I know I could compare to my dad etc for that bit more information.

I think the idea is that basically the bigger your bones, the easier time your body has whilst doing work (in this case boxing/fighting)

Would it be unlikely that someone of 5'11" with just under 7" wrists at 17 will one day be able to sit comfortably (not having too much bulk) at around 215-220lbs? I'm around 160 now, that's before I've really started trying to gain muscle.
NathanMcMahon is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
closedguard
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMcMahon View Post
Look at Mike Tyson, Cus always said that he was going to be the champ, even from day one apparently. You're absolutely right in that this is the reason I would like larger wrists, it was to do with frame size. I guess now a smarter question would be about my frame in general; is it likely to get much bigger? The wrist is just one aspect that I was using as I know I could compare to my dad etc for that bit more information.

I think the idea is that basically the bigger your bones, the easier time your body has whilst doing work (in this case boxing/fighting)

Would it be unlikely that someone of 5'11" with just under 7" wrists at 17 will one day be able to sit comfortably (not having too much bulk) at around 215-220lbs? I'm around 160 now, that's before I've really started trying to gain muscle.
many young boxers use human growth hormone there are those that swear to its efficacy in making them a bit taller.
closedguard is online now  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Trying to increase wrist size to become a stronger puncher, would be a lot like trying to tan your skin, because Floyd Mayweather is black.

I do believe bone density may possibly have something to do with strength and athletic ability, but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Luck of the draw my friend.

LOL....it's funny how people interpret things so singularly. If you could somehow legitimately increase the bone thickness of your wrists, I promise you it still won't do a damn thing for you.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing