boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2015, 01:05 AM   #1
Ali Frazier
KO ARTIST
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: The U N I verse
Posts: 450
vCash: 378
Default Going down in weight without losing power

Advice?
Ali Frazier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Jay2daC
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

It is possible but extremely difficult. The problem is that when you lose weight, your losing it be getting rid of fat or getting rid of muscle mass. Less muscle mass equals less strength. If you are losing weight by means of cardio expect to lose the strength. If you do not already have a trainer, you should look for one. They are best at being able to help with this kind of issue (at least a real certified trainer). But try to lose the weight by minimizing the cardio time to 30-45 mins and doing circuit training with weights.
Jay2daC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Mr.DagoWop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 193
vCash: 687
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Are you overweight and trying to lose fat? If yes, then don't worry about losing power. You will gain speed which will make up for the weight loss. Other contributing factors are level of training, do you lift weights, body fat %. Try an include more info for us to help you.
Mr.DagoWop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links


Old 07-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
You will gain speed which will make up for the weight loss.
Weight loss does not = faster.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Frazier View Post
Advice?
You'll have to give details if you want actual advice.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Mr.DagoWop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 193
vCash: 687
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Weight loss does not = faster.
So a fat guy will be faster than a skinny guy?
Mr.DagoWop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
So a fat guy will be faster than a skinny guy?
Of course a fat guy can be faster than a skinny guy. It always comes down to the individual.

Training for speed (if done correctly) increases speed. Losing weight does not in itself make you faster which is what you claimed.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
Mr.DagoWop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 193
vCash: 687
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Of course a fat guy can be faster than a skinny guy. It always comes down to the individual.

Training for speed (if done correctly) increases speed. Losing weight does not in itself make you faster which is what you claimed.
I was using it in the context of an untrained fat guy losing weight. Of course they will be faster. Maybe 1% of fat guys will be faster than skinny guys. You DKSAB. You tried saying speed bags aren't useful in another thread and you tried saying running is bad as well. Quit spreading bad information, you're either going to get someone hurt or ruin their training.
Mr.DagoWop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
I was using it in the context of an untrained fat guy losing weight. Of course they will be faster.
You stated "You will gain speed which will make up for the weight loss" which is a blanket statement and is also incorrect.

Next time, if you're using a specific example, you should make it clear, otherwise it makes you look incorrect as it does above.

Quote:
Maybe 1% of fat guys will be faster than skinny guys.
This makes no sense.

Quote:
You DKSAB.
In English?

Quote:
You tried saying speed bags aren't useful in another thread
Indeed.

Quote:
and you tried saying running is bad as well.
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

What I actually said was running with ankle weights puts additional stress on your joints which obviously isn't good for you.

I also stated that running, being a high impact form of cardio, is rough on your joints.

Do you dispute any of that?

Quote:
Quit spreading bad information, you're either going to get someone hurt or ruin their training.
Read above and think again.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
Mr.DagoWop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 193
vCash: 687
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
You stated "You will gain speed which will make up for the weight loss" which is a blanket statement and is also incorrect.

Next time, if you're using a specific example, you should make it clear, otherwise it makes you look incorrect as it does above.



This makes no sense.



In English?



Indeed.



Reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

What I actually said was running with ankle weights puts additional stress on your joints which obviously isn't good for you.

I also stated that running, being a high impact form of cardio, is rough on your joints.

Do you dispute any of that?



Read above and think again.
What is this the 3rd grade? If we're talking about reading skills then You need to work on yours because I said was "Are you overweight and trying to lose fat? If yes, then don't worry about losing power. You will gain speed which will make up for the weight loss. Other contributing factors are level of training, do you lift weights, body fat %. Try an include more info for us to help you." This does specify.

Your saying don't do road work because it is bad on your joints. It takes a lot more than you think to wear down your joints. It would be more like running a marathon to do what you're saying running does to your joints.

Whats next, don't take your daily vitamin because it's man made? The benefits outweigh the bad in just about everything you say not to do.
Mr.DagoWop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #11
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
What is this the 3rd grade?
May as well be with your reading comprehension skills.

Quote:
If we're talking about reading skills then You need to work on yours because I said was "Are you overweight and trying to lose fat? If yes, then don't worry about losing power. You will gain speed which will make up for the weight loss. Other contributing factors are level of training, do you lift weights, body fat %. Try an include more info for us to help you." This does specify.
Even if he's overweight, weight loss does not equate to and increase in speed which was my point.

Quote:
Your saying don't do road work because it is bad on your joints.
Please quote where I said not to do road work because it's bad on your joints.

Running is high impact and bad for your joints, that's a fact.

Quote:
It takes a lot more than you think to wear down your joints. It would be more like running a marathon to do what you're saying running does to your joints.
I haven't said anything about the severity of the damage to your joints.

Quote:
Whats next, don't take your daily vitamin because it's man made? The benefits outweigh the bad in just about everything you say not to do.
This just makes no sense.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,273
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Maintain your technique.
achillesthegreat is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #13
Ali Frazier
KO ARTIST
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: The U N I verse
Posts: 450
vCash: 378
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Ok little bit of information since I just sorta asked and dipped off.

I'm a lean 205-210
standing at about 6'2
Now, as you may or may not know
the 201+ in the amatures you're risking fighting monsterous fighters standing about 6'4 and up 240-290 because ya know..super heavyweight
typically
my first two fights were a guy who was 6'5 the other was 6'9 ...didn't bother me really because I have the speed and footwork and stamina to hang in there with the awkward big type.
But it's also harder to get fights because so few gyms in my region have super heavyweights
I was thinking I'd slim down to 195 and just rehydrate to 200 before fights
Ali Frazier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #14
Mr.DagoWop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 193
vCash: 687
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Frazier View Post
Ok little bit of information since I just sorta asked and dipped off.

I'm a lean 205-210
standing at about 6'2
Now, as you may or may not know
the 201+ in the amatures you're risking fighting monsterous fighters standing about 6'4 and up 240-290 because ya know..super heavyweight
typically
my first two fights were a guy who was 6'5 the other was 6'9 ...didn't bother me really because I have the speed and footwork and stamina to hang in there with the awkward big type.
But it's also harder to get fights because so few gyms in my region have super heavyweights
I was thinking I'd slim down to 195 and just rehydrate to 200 before fights
I wouldn't rehydrate in the amateurs since you fight the same day I'm pretty sure. I would cut down to 195lb-200lb. You have a lot of experience and training already so you won't gain much speed if any. Just take the weight out in mostly fat but keep your body fat around 8-10%.
Mr.DagoWop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #15
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: C-dale, Illinois
Posts: 270
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Going down in weight without losing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
I wouldn't rehydrate in the amateurs since you fight the same day I'm pretty sure. I would cut down to 195lb-200lb. You have a lot of experience and training already so you won't gain much speed if any. Just take the weight out in mostly fat but keep your body fat around 8-10%.
You fight the same day but 'typically', they put the heavyweights on the end of the card. So after they weigh-in, they have about an hour or two(depending on how many fights/how fast they go and intermission) to rehydrate before they are up.
JagOfTroy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015