Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #526
JonStevo10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

I'd like to ask you guys a question which has been bugging me for ages:

How do the brand/make of fighters gloves work in a fight? For example I wear Grants and my opponent wears Reyes do we just agree with each other?

Also, I recently watched Ogogo fight a boy whilst wearing Reyes (deemed to be a 'punchers' glove) whilst the boy he was fighting was wearing an Everlast (I think). Is that not unfair? Would Ogogo in this position need to offer the same glove to his opponent?

Cheers.
JonStevo10 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #527
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStevo10 View Post
I'd like to ask you guys a question which has been bugging me for ages:

How do the brand/make of fighters gloves work in a fight? For example I wear Grants and my opponent wears Reyes do we just agree with each other?

Also, I recently watched Ogogo fight a boy whilst wearing Reyes (deemed to be a 'punchers' glove) whilst the boy he was fighting was wearing an Everlast (I think). Is that not unfair? Would Ogogo in this position need to offer the same glove to his opponent?

Cheers.
It to my knowledge comes down to agreement with regards which make of glove obviously the weight is the same it comes down to your personal choice.But plenty of times there has been cases of say the champions side insisting on the yes or no to certain brands sure Dempsey will have some examples first hand.

Interesting you bring up Reyes was talking about them to someone the other day IMO slightly more weighted around the wrist in feel & for example Manny Pacquiao loves using them for that reason.It comes down to your own choice for me 100% agree on Reyes as a punchers glove!
Makingweight is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #528
JonStevo10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makingweight View Post
It to my knowledge comes down to agreement with regards which make of glove obviously the weight is the same it comes down to your personal choice.But plenty of times there has been cases of say the champions side insisting on the yes or no to certain brands sure Dempsey will have some examples first hand.

Interesting you bring up Reyes was talking about them to someone the other day IMO slightly more weighted around the wrist in feel & for example Manny Pacquiao loves using them for that reason.It comes down to your own choice for me 100% agree on Reyes as a punchers glove!
Thanks MW
Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #529
StGeorge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This thread really does need making a sticky. Thank you to all the people who contribute knowledge and anecdotes
StGeorge is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #530
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks guys the promoter usually provides the gloves, most of the time the gloves are all the same. The promoters gets a deal to use let's say Everlast, so all the fighters use that brand, unless the fighter requests different gloves, cos he might be a puncher he wants to use Reyes, another may have bad hands, so they may ask for some other brand or a different Everlast gloves. In cases where you see guys using Winning, Grant's, Reyes, they have to work it out with the promoter and in some cases the fighter bears the cost of a set of gloves cos you always have to have a backup. My guy has a deal with Grant, and gets everything new from Grant, trunks, robe, corner jackets and gloves. Even the gloves are custom made to fit the hand. All gloves have to be checked and approved by the commission.
My guy was defending his 130pd title against Eric Morales. I knew Eric had hand problems and preferred Winning gloves. At the time the champion dictated which gloves were to be used, this is no longer the case. I chose Reyes gloves, Eric's father had a tizzy fit, I told him, it's our choice, we fought with Reyes, we lost the decision and the title due to my guys shoulder giving out in the second round. If you go on Youtube look at the Jesus Chavez - Eric Morales fight. The first round Jesus cracked Eric with an overhand right and staggered him but that really was his last shot, from the 2nd on Jesus balled it out using only his left. Eric would never fight Jesus again. Jesus went on to win his second title at 135 and lost it when his knee gave out.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #531
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Duh, how do you get a "sticky"????
Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #532
StGeorge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Duh, how do you get a "sticky"????
Admins can make a thread a sticky, really not sure why they have not done so already with this one mate
StGeorge is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #533
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Great insight on the gloves & St.G is right should certainly be made a sticky.

A good read for fight fans young & us older ones i came across recently was 'fight to the death who killed Davey Moore?' It's well worth a read when you have a spare few minutes.The lets ban boxing brigade came out in force they always do toughest game out there but a choice you make no half measures it is what it is,I came across it reading about a fighter called Battling Torres who was one of those guys just short of championship level but a ko artist.He either nailed you or you got him!In the ring top 100 punchers.

21/3/63 brang about a fight night that had the Moore tragedy but some great fights Emile Griffith lost his title on the cards to Luis Rodriguez first of a three fight trilogy Griffith earning instant redemption.Griffith of course having his own tragedy against Benny Paret the year before.The card was outdoors at Dodger stadium torrential rain 26k fans some purse information on the fighters is covered as well.

What of Battling Torres had a NC against Don Jordan whose $1500 purse was witheld due to allegations of a dive Jordan former WW champ had been on a long losing streak this was his final fight.The ref told the commision the KO punch was barely registered Jordan permanently suspended!Torres another young Mexican fighter died at only 31 years old a traffic argument gone wrong it seems.

Of Davey Moore recently had a statue unveiled in Ohio 50 years after his death who attended his opponent Mr.Ramos respect is the one thing you will eventually not just learn in boxing but live your life by.The second article '50 years after death Ohio honors boxer Davey Moore' cements it.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #534
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Guys at my gym local pros and some few good ones, have said that grants seem to b the preferred punchers glove from reyes now.... not sure what its worth but i know reyes were punchers for the longest time
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #535
JonStevo10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks guys the promoter usually provides the gloves, most of the time the gloves are all the same. The promoters gets a deal to use let's say Everlast, so all the fighters use that brand, unless the fighter requests different gloves, cos he might be a puncher he wants to use Reyes, another may have bad hands, so they may ask for some other brand or a different Everlast gloves. In cases where you see guys using Winning, Grant's, Reyes, they have to work it out with the promoter and in some cases the fighter bears the cost of a set of gloves cos you always have to have a backup. My guy has a deal with Grant, and gets everything new from Grant, trunks, robe, corner jackets and gloves. Even the gloves are custom made to fit the hand. All gloves have to be checked and approved by the commission.
My guy was defending his 130pd title against Eric Morales. I knew Eric had hand problems and preferred Winning gloves. At the time the champion dictated which gloves were to be used, this is no longer the case. I chose Reyes gloves, Eric's father had a tizzy fit, I told him, it's our choice, we fought with Reyes, we lost the decision and the title due to my guys shoulder giving out in the second round. If you go on Youtube look at the Jesus Chavez - Eric Morales fight. The first round Jesus cracked Eric with an overhand right and staggered him but that really was his last shot, from the 2nd on Jesus balled it out using only his left. Eric would never fight Jesus again. Jesus went on to win his second title at 135 and lost it when his knee gave out.
Thanks Dempsey
Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #536
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Cheers, I have always wondered that myself!

So basically the fighter can choose what they want aslong as everyone agrees and approved by the comission?
rampant is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #537
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What can make or break a fighter?Well often many different things which take place outside of the ring certainly back in day of no internet,social media the power of the pen was mighty.Boxing scribes could make your life easy if you had them onside available for a quote or interview.Get offside with them well it never usually ended going your way the dye is set so to speak.

Take a fighter who never really was loved by the British public Joe Bugner fled war torn Hungary ended up in refugee camps made his way to England & now lives in Australia three nationalities in one!The public never took to him here fuelled by the press & after by tv interviews with talk show hosts here like Michael Parkinson who by the questions asked had a agenda.

Why because he was awarded a decision against a really loved fighter here Henry Cooper in his last fight a 36 year old ring veteran by 1/2 a point over 15 rounds for the British,Commonwealth & European titles.Razor thin margin called by the ref our friend Harry Gibbs the crowd none too happy on the night.It was 1971 & Bugner was a baby in HW terms just 21 years old he reflected later in hindsight he wished in many ways he didn't take the fight.He offered Cooper a re-match but he had retired & Cooper actually fell out with Gibbs for many years they were from the same part of London,Bermondsey imagine the outcry nowadays ref & fighter from the same area!Cooper always said on aggression alone he won the fight in his mind by the same margin given to Bugner fine margins.I thought the veteran was unlucky watching many years later but that's no fault of Bugner's.

For Bugner the press turned on him big time his style of fighting jab,move derided as defensive & passive which it was at times IMO but he had a near 70% win ratio inside the distance.His early wins were by TKO mainly until he fought Ulrich Regis in the 5th he asked the ref to stop the fight Regis had already been down twice.The ref told him to stop talking.Bugner decided to pull his punches & got booed by the crowd at the end of the 8 round contest Regis was a mess.He collapsed Bugner helped carry him to his corner & four days later he had died of a brain hemorrhage.

For any fighter not easy to deal with he was 19 at the time did it affect him & his fighting style sure it did.What was unreported at the time Bugner gave his purse to Regis family.

He of course had two fights with Ali which he lost both on points he had actually been a sparring partner for him many years earlier.The press really went to town when he announced he was leaving these shores to live in L.A.

The second fight with Ali earned him a cool $1m dollars fantastic right?Well the U.K had a wealth tax at the time 75% of the purse went to the taxman many others left the country & never got the bad press Bugner got.He was pictured swimming in the hotel pool after the Ali fight which got him plenty of ridicule they had fought in 110 degrees at 10-30 am.Ali ended up on a drip dehydrated didn't help the press not too happy with his effort!

Still when life started out the way it had for Bugner deep down did it really worry him?I will end with a story about his first fight with Ali to underline his attitude.

He was invited with Ali to meet Elvis it was 1973 four years before the King met his maker.Elvis talked to Ali extensively & gave him a gown then got introduced to Bugner.

'Where's my gown' he joked.
'You havn't got the right to wear the King's gown!' Elvis took it the wrong way by then he was quite paranoid.
Bugner responded with a smile on his face 'well im going to beat that man tomorrow so get f*****!'
Elvis minder Red West told him after the fight he had hurt the King's feelings & often spoke after how the Englishman had told him where to go.
Bugner certainly you would never die wondering of what he thought.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #538
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
Cheers, I have always wondered that myself!

So basically the fighter can choose what they want aslong as everyone agrees and approved by the comission?
Yes but that's in the US, don't know about the UK, and it always has to be two pairs in case something happens like a tear in the glove, also the opponent can use the extra pair if he wants to.

Last edited by dempsey1234; 01-11-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #539
StGeorge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Could anyone share any interesting/amusing/shocking training camp stories? Some fighters, even the old timers had camps that can only be described as very 'relaxed', with massive entourages etc. What makes a good camp?
StGeorge is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #540
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Smart manager doing his job, Leo Flynn Jack Dempsey's manager at the time he fought Jack Sharkey. Gave Dempsey some good advice on how to beat Sharkey. Sharkey was a notorious cry baby, he was always complaining to the ref so Flynn being an astute fight guy and manager, told Dempsey, "Now Jack, that big bum never had a fight in his life where he didn't claim a foul and turn his head to appeal to the ref. He even did it when he knocked out (Jim) Maloney one of the softest touches he ever had. If you keep hitting him in the belly he'll appeal sure. He'll stop and try to tell the ref he's been fouled. The minute he turns his head, sock him with everything you've got. Just jab him in the belly a few times and hold the big punch back. Keep on pecking at his belly no matter what happens. He'll turn to look at the ref---and you know what to do."
Dempsey replied: I'll know what to do. If that bird takes his eye off me he'll never know what hit him."
Dempsey did as he was told, for you who are the curious sort watch the result of the fight on youtube, Jack Dempsey vs Jack Sharkey.

Last edited by dempsey1234; 01-11-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: correction

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing