Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #571
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStevo10 View Post
Another question for MakingWeight and Dempsey:

Again apologies for my lack of knowledge.

What is involved in the whole "purse bids" process?
JS here is the breakdown of a recent purse bid.

Purse Bid
Junior featherweight Chris Avalos, of Lancaster, Calif., was due to fight in the main event of Top Rank’s "Solo Boxeo" card on UniMas on Feb. 15, but was taken off the card so he would be available for a world title eliminator.
The purse bid for that eliminator against Rey Vargas (18-0, 15 KOs) of Mexico took place Tuesday and Top Rank, the only bidder, won with an offer of $25,000. Avalos (23-2, 17 KOs), the higher-ranked fighter in the IBF ratings, is entitled to 60 percent of the money ($15,000), with Vargas due the remaining 40 percent ($10,000).

Top Rank has 90 days to put on the bout, which will produce the mandatory challenger for the 122-pound title held by Kiko Martinez of Spain.
However, Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said that based on what he hears, Vargas won’t take the fight.

Avalos is with Top Rank Vargas is with Promociones del Pueblo. Vargas is effectively knocked out of the eliminator and Avalos thus moves closer to title shot. It was a low ball figure designed to eliminate Vargas and his promoter.

“We won the purse bid, we have followed the IBF procedures and sent out a bout contract,” Moretti said. “We expect it to be signed, but if it’s not, we will inform the IBF and move forward with their next available contender. But we believe Vargas won’t take the fight.”
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 AM   #572
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

'Women weaken legs!'We all remember Mickey telling Rocky that in the film.
They can also weaken many things in all walks of life wallets for sure!
The nature of the sport you have young men through the generations energy to burn that have put just as much effort into out of ring activities!

Eligio Montalvo won't ring a bell with many but the name 'Kid Chocolate'(original)will.
He had a perfect amatuer record it seems 100 fights 86 by ko & managed by a shrewd eye for talent Luis 'Pincho' Guttierez who also managed another top fighter Black Bill.Top fighter & HOF member worth a read for those who don't know the original.

He had a pro record of 135-10-6 which you can look up for yourselves boasted many HOF fighters as opponents.The Cuban certainly enjoyed the trappings of the fight game snappy dresser he owned it was said 150 suits & shoes to match.

He needed to...he was a real player of the day women were his weakness it lead to his decline as a fighter.He said add all his amatuer & pro fights together wouldn't come close to his out of ring conquests!

Well in 1933 he was diagnosed with syphilis incurable at the time it often lead to blindness at least.He fought on but his career was past it's peak.

He should of took heed of the last thing the ref tells you before battle commences 'protect yourself at all times!'
Makingweight is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #573
Ryan the Lion
King of the Jungle
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makingweight View Post
We had a real throwback fight here at the weekend Gavin Rees v Gary Buckland SD Buckland that probably for me should of gone the other way.Marginal but fantastic domestic fight both went to the well & then some.Whatever the rest of the year brings it will be one of the domestic fights of the year.Two friends out of the ring as well all put aside for 12 hard rounds.

For Rees the record books will show the third loss on the trot for him no shame in any of those defeats the last two certainly as close as the scorecards suggest.

He may now call it a day if so can walk away head held high became a champion was at times here in the UK not given the credit he deserved.

Old school fighter that extracted more out of his career than many thought he would he can have no regrets whatever he does.Game,battle hardened,determined with nothing given to him credit to Welsh & UK Boxing.

All that was missing Saturday was the fans throwing money into the ring in appreciation of the show put on by both as they used to do back in the day.Hopefully the Rees management team say to him what he needs to be told imo...leave them wanting more you had a great career.
That's right. Gavin Rees was one of three British world champions at light-welterweight at that time. Ricky Hatton and Junior Witter were the other two. We were spoiled.
Ryan the Lion is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #574
Ryan the Lion
King of the Jungle
ESB Addict

Quote:
'Women weaken legs!'We all remember Mickey telling Rocky that in the film.
They can also weaken many things in all walks of life wallets for sure!
The nature of the sport you have young men through the generations energy to burn that have put just as much effort into out of ring activities!

Eligio Montalvo won't ring a bell with many but the name 'Kid Chocolate'(original)will.
He had a perfect amatuer record it seems 100 fights 86 by ko & managed by a shrewd eye for talent Luis 'Pincho' Guttierez who also managed another top fighter Black Bill.Top fighter & HOF member worth a read for those who don't know the original.

He had a pro record of 135-10-6 which you can look up for yourselves boasted many HOF fighters as opponents.The Cuban certainly enjoyed the trappings of the fight game snappy dresser he owned it was said 150 suits & shoes to match.

He needed to...he was a real player of the day women were his weakness it lead to his decline as a fighter.He said add all his amatuer & pro fights together wouldn't come close to his out of ring conquests!

Well in 1933 he was diagnosed with syphilis incurable at the time it often lead to blindness at least.He fought on but his career was past it's peak.

He should of took heed of the last thing the ref tells you before battle commences 'protect yourself at all times!'
Good post
Ryan the Lion is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #575
JonStevo10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
JS here is the breakdown of a recent purse bid.

Purse Bid
Junior featherweight Chris Avalos, of Lancaster, Calif., was due to fight in the main event of Top Rank’s "Solo Boxeo" card on UniMas on Feb. 15, but was taken off the card so he would be available for a world title eliminator.
The purse bid for that eliminator against Rey Vargas (18-0, 15 KOs) of Mexico took place Tuesday and Top Rank, the only bidder, won with an offer of $25,000. Avalos (23-2, 17 KOs), the higher-ranked fighter in the IBF ratings, is entitled to 60 percent of the money ($15,000), with Vargas due the remaining 40 percent ($10,000).

Top Rank has 90 days to put on the bout, which will produce the mandatory challenger for the 122-pound title held by Kiko Martinez of Spain.
However, Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said that based on what he hears, Vargas won’t take the fight.

Avalos is with Top Rank Vargas is with Promociones del Pueblo. Vargas is effectively knocked out of the eliminator and Avalos thus moves closer to title shot. It was a low ball figure designed to eliminate Vargas and his promoter.

“We won the purse bid, we have followed the IBF procedures and sent out a bout contract,” Moretti said. “We expect it to be signed, but if it’s not, we will inform the IBF and move forward with their next available contender. But we believe Vargas won’t take the fight.”

Thanks Dempsey.

I can see what Top Rank have done, however had Vargas taken the fight do you believe TR would have 'beefed up' their own guys $15k as it is clear they had no intention of the fight going ahead.

Off the record perhaps?
JonStevo10 is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #576
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStevo10 View Post
Thanks Dempsey.

I can see what Top Rank have done, however had Vargas taken the fight do you believe TR would have 'beefed up' their own guys $15k as it is clear they had no intention of the fight going ahead.

Off the record perhaps?
if Vargas and his promoter called their bluff, TR's guy would have had to fight for that purse. TR knew who the players were on the other side and guessed right, Nacho and promociones del Pueblo, would never have accepted the fight at that price, each wants to get paid, knowing Vargas' promoter's 30% clause on assignments, if it applies. In the US it wouldn't but in Mexico who knows. The assignment clause is in case the promoter's fighter fights for another promoter they are entitled to 30% of the deal.
I am not sure what the IBF rules dictates in a purse bid situation.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #577
JonStevo10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
if Vargas and his promoter called their bluff, TR's guy would have had to fight for that purse. TR knew who the players were on the other side and guessed right, Nacho and promociones del Pueblo, would never have accepted the fight at that price, each wants to get paid, knowing Vargas' promoter's 30% clause on assignments, if it applies. In the US it wouldn't but in Mexico who knows. The assignment clause is in case the promoter's fighter fights for another promoter they are entitled to 30% of the deal.
I am not sure what the IBF rules dictates in a purse bid situation.
Thanks again Dempsey.

JonStevo10 is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #578
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Fellas google the following article.'Far from Vegas the grassroots fighters going toe-to-toe around Britain'.

It covers the need to sell tickets,being the away fighter,purses on small hall shows & touches on how if you don't sell enough your purse can be adjusted.The growing use of eastern European journeymen as fighting tourists!

I have been to the Camden centre & the cards don't disappoint if you enjoy small hall shows.If you are in & around London worth attending at that level no one is making serious coin.The atmosphere good,you never know you may see a UK star of the future starting out.
Makingweight is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #579
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Manager or no manager? Guys the truth is you do need one and not just anyone look for someone who has history which you can verify. What are their motives for wanting to represent you, ask yourself does he have the credentials and the ability to back up what he is saying, ask how he plans to do that. Too many kids are blinded by money and dreams. This is for real, money and dreams can take you just so far.
Take for instance money, everybody wants a huge signing bonus, even bigger purses, yes sir. Believe me when I say MONEY is a TRAP. The more money you get the more is expected of you. When big money is involved the promoter or the manager/investor or both want to see something coming back, cos they see the kid is being lax in his training or maybe they see other reasons to cash in, the fighter then might be pushed into something before he is ready with disasteous results. A prime example is a '96 Olympian, who turned pro in '97 and was basically a shot fighter in 2002, the guy was never the same after being brutalized by the two best fighters of that era, by 24 he was a shot fighter. How and why did it happen, greed, money there was money to be made now, why wait til later. That was the motivation, the promoter saw $$$ the manager saw $$$, the fighter saw "stars". Nobody said anything about maybe we should wait to do these fights, nope all were looking at the $$$$. A good manager is thinking about the fighter the $$$ will come if everyone does their jobs.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #580
StGeorge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Question to depsey1234, can you give us any examples of boxers you let get away and came to regret, and why? Must be frustrating to miss out on a guy you could of represented
StGeorge is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #581
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGeorge View Post
Question to depsey1234, can you give us any examples of boxers you let get away and came to regret, and why? Must be frustrating to miss out on a guy you could of represented
Nah, you win some you lose some, I never regret having lost a guy or wanted anybody else, I find my guys myself usually where nobody is looking, two yrs ago, somebody told me about a kid, that Top Rank is going to love, he had just turned 17, he had one amateur fight as a senior before that he fought in the 15-16 age bracket. I convinced Top Rank to give him a shot so they brought the kid to the Wildcard to show his stuff he sparred an undefeated African who was 19-0, 17ko's, he impressed everybody and Top Rank did love him, he is now 13-0. I like finding guys from scratch and bringing them along. For those who would like to see his pro debut it's on youtube Juan "El Cholo" Saucedo.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #582
JACK McWAVEY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 725

Quote:
Fellas google the following article.'Far from Vegas the grassroots fighters going toe-to-toe around Britain'.

It covers the need to sell tickets,being the away fighter,purses on small hall shows & touches on how if you don't sell enough your purse can be adjusted.The growing use of eastern European journeymen as fighting tourists!
R
I have been to the Camden centre & the cards don't disappoint if you enjoy small hall shows.If you are in & around London worth attending at that level no one is making serious coin.The atmosphere good,you never know you may see a UK star of the future starting out.
Quality article mate
JACK McWAVEY is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #583
JACK McWAVEY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 725

Going to one of steve goodwins shows this sat, my first small hall hopefully it shud be a laugh
JACK McWAVEY is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #584
StGeorge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Nah, you win some you lose some, I never regret having lost a guy or wanted anybody else, I find my guys myself usually where nobody is looking, two yrs ago, somebody told me about a kid, that Top Rank is going to love, he had just turned 17, he had one amateur fight as a senior before that he fought in the 15-16 age bracket. I convinced Top Rank to give him a shot so they brought the kid to the Wildcard to show his stuff he sparred an undefeated African who was 19-0, 17ko's, he impressed everybody and Top Rank did love him, he is now 13-0. I like finding guys from scratch and bringing them along. For those who would like to see his pro debut it's on youtube Juan "El Cholo" Saucedo.
He looked alright, will keep an eye out for 'El Cholo'

What advice/ how do you handle a fighter coming of his first loss? I guess it depends on the person but any pointers/stories?
StGeorge is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #585
-vincenzo-

Quote:

Good read, thanks mate!

The Bulgarian journeyman mentioned in the article apparently made 800 quids for a four rounder whereas the heavyweight from the main event made 2 grands.
After reading that, I wonder what the purses for different levels like Southern Area, English, British or Commonwealth title or title defenses are.

Do you have any idea?
-vincenzo- is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing