boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

So I'm looking into this guy in a bit more detail as a I recently read an old interview by roach describing Gerry as the most skilled boxer in phillipino history.

Looking into his record he picked up the wbc belt and defended it a couple of times before losing twice to cho in Korea.

Wikipedia refers to it as a controversial decision.

Has anyone here seen his losses to cho or have any information on them?
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

He was a good tidy fighter with an excellent chin-skilled but very methodical. not one of the upper-echelon Super Flyweights.Next level down certainly though.Lots of close decisions throughout his career, but to be honest i'd need to watch the more relevant ones again to offer a more up to date opinion.Been over ten years since i saw his fights with Tokuyama and Cho and i never thought either of them was anything special so being in debatable fights with them only goes so far for me.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
He was a good tidy fighter with an excellent chin-skilled but very methodical. not one of the upper-echelon Super Flyweights.Next level down certainly though.Lots of close decisions throughout his career, but to be honest i'd need to watch the more relevant ones again to offer a more up to date opinion.Been over ten years since i saw his fights with Tokuyama and Cho and i never thought either of them was anything special so being in debatable fights with them only goes so far for me.
Do you think he was deservedly less regarded than Tapia?
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Well he was hardly a champ for long, whereas Tapia was.Even though he wasn't fighting the most inspiring competition.

I think Tapia at his best was a more talented fighter, though i wouldn't be surprised if a fight with Penalosa would have been close.Tapia could fool about in there a lot.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,449
vCash: 75
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Very good matchup Gerry Vs Johnny actually.

Penelosa had an incredible chin, really. I think taking him over his career he becomes a very good fighter.

Just at super fly? Think I have one of those Cho fights, but don't recall actually watching it.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Cheers guys, the one article went on about him he was seen as some of uncrowned champ right up until he moved up but I could nothing else supporting it hence the thread.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the few, the proud, the Philippines
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 75
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Please allow me to provide insight.

Calling Penalosa the most skilled Filipino boxer in history might not be farfetched. He's still very effective even when he aged. The guys has wide ****nal of punches and good defensive abilities.

He's lone loss before being a champion was a fight with a significantly bigger Samuel Duran. A man who ended up winning the OPBF featherweight title. And there were reports that it was too close to call.

Nevertheless, he was avoided for a full year as mandatory before getting his long overdue title shot. He made the most out of it and made two defenses.

Then came the long spell with losses. Here's where it puts Penalosa's career and abilities. He's an excellent counter-puncher, a very patient guy who waits for the right time to land his shots. He's not a very big puncher but due to his impeccable timing, he get's the full effect on his blows. Now for a guy as good as he is, he is quite slow of foot. He doesn't have bad footwork or anything, he knows where to position himself when countering, but he has a hard time catching up when the other guy will not initiate and instead use the ring. Hence the losses, albeit close, to Cho and Tokuyama. Both men superb runners.

Johnny Gonzales attempted to apply the same gameplan but he's was unable to keep it for the entire 12 rounds, allowing Penalosa to sneak the fight ending bodyshot. Unfortunately, Morel has excellent footwork as well and used distance.

The losses to De Leon and JuanMa were more of being too small at 122.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
So I'm looking into this guy in a bit more detail as a I recently read an old interview by roach describing Gerry as the most skilled boxer in phillipino history.

Looking into his record he picked up the wbc belt and defended it a couple of times before losing twice to cho in Korea.

Wikipedia refers to it as a controversial decision.

Has anyone here seen his losses to cho or have any information on them?
You'd have to look through the scorecards thread to see my exact scores, but I've seen all of his losses at Super Flyweight. I had him winning all four fights against Tokuyama and Cho. You have to keep in mind that Gerry was in his opponent's backyard on all four occasions.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You'd have to look through the scorecards thread to see my exact scores, but I've seen all of his losses at Super Flyweight. I had him winning all four fights against Tokuyama and Cho. You have to keep in mind that Gerry was in his opponent's backyard on all four occasions.
Given that you score them in his favour, how do you view penalosa in terms of the divisions history?

How do you view him in comparison with Tapia during their era?
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Given that you score them in his favour, how do you view penalosa in terms of the divisions history?

How do you view him in comparison with Tapia during their era?
I don't have enough knowledge of the division's history to begin to rank him alongside the greats, but he was wrongly denied a longer stint as champion. Cho and Tokuyama were rangy boxers who kept the fights at a distance, but no way did either of them do enough to win their respective fights with Gerry. I remember one decision in particular being particularly embarrassing. It may have been the second Cho fight. Penalosa should have gone down as an outstanding Super Flyweight champion.

I uploaded a couple of Gerry's fights on Youtube, LufCrazy. Kawashima, Rojas, and Seung Koo Lee.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 23,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: gerry penalosa as a super flyweight.

Cheers Addie.

Guess I'll have to look into his a bit more still yet!
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015