vCash: 773
Default Re: Marvin Hagler vs Bernard Hopkins

My new dream fight >> hopkins vs B.Hop
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Raging Bee

vCash: 500

Yeah but what about Hopkins style, in his prime he was really exciting to watch, in my opinion anyway lol.
Raging Bee is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Fascinating this one really. Peak Hopkins of the late 90's was usually a search-and-destroy type of fighter who also could box very well, while the peak Hagler of the early 80's was a boxer who also could steamroll his man (like he did Minter).

Think Hopkins would like Hagler to come and look for him, so he could counter off the back foot. Since Hopkins perhaps best weapon was a lead right counter, it would suit him perfectly to lead a southpaw on it. If the fight goes this way, I think it's his fight.

Hagler's best shot is to use his movement and his jab - move in and out. Even though Marvin was truly excellent at this, it's hard to do against such clever and skilled fighter as Hopkins - if you don't have a serious advantage in speed (like Jones) or in youth, reach and height (like Dawson).

If it turns dirty, Hopkins will like that too.

Very tough to call, but I think my money will be on Hopkins here.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

Hopkins would outpoint Hagler, maybe even get a late cut eye defeat. Hagler's best chance would be to get Hopkins involved in a war. As there is some small evidence (MercadoI) that Hopkins chin can be cracked.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

I think Hagler beats Hopkins.

Hopkins didn't always respond well to agression and power. I see Hagler adjusting to anything Hopkins does, which would probably revolve around getting on his mother****ing bicycle, like he did VS Antwun Echols (first fight) and Eastman, in order to minimize all activity.

Hagler wins a UD over a somewhat disgraced Hop

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLGR0_ENlWc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cee8xwCUeYo[/ame]
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
My new dream fight >> hopkins vs B.Hop
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I normally hate when people pick a SD type of decision in a hypothetical thread.....but I think this one is so close that it is warranted....if this fight could actually happen I think it would be so close that people would argue both sides of the outcome....I like Hopkins over 12...over 15 I am undecided.
same here but yeah, i doubt the decision would be clear on either side. tough call, much tougher than i thought considering how highly i rate hagler
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
I see Hagler adjusting to anything Hopkins does,

I think that is why Hagler would lose. Look at his career; Hagler never adjusted without his corner telling him. He was a machine, and as good a people as the Petronelli's were to him, Goody was not the greatest trainer. Whether that was giving Duran far too much respect, Leonard too little, or misjudging the closeness of the first Antuofermo fight...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
I think that is why Hagler would lose. Look at his career; Hagler never adjusted without his corner telling him. He was a machine, and as good a people as the Petronelli's were to him, Goody was not the greatest trainer. Whether that was giving Duran far too much respect, Leonard too little, or misjudging the closeness of the first Antuofermo fight...
I guess I meant to say Hagler would have the upper hand whatever Hopkins would try to do

Hagler could fight inside, outside, box, brawl, slugg, even switch from orthodox to southpaw

I think that his problem, as I have written in a recent post in another thread, is that he didn't always make the good decision out of all he was capable of doing

I think Bernard would be very negative in this fight and that would allow Hagler to do his thing

add Marvin's respectable power, his great right hand (hook and jab), his "undefeated" chin, and I guess you have Hopkins toughest fight ever at MW
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #26
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
I guess I meant to say Hagler would have the upper hand whatever Hopkins would try to do

Hagler could fight inside, outside, box, brawl, slugg, even switch from orthodox to southpaw

I think that his problem, as I have written in a recent post in another thread, is that he didn't always make the good decision out of all he was capable of doing

I think Bernard would be very negative in this fight and that would allow Hagler to do his thing

add Marvin's respectable power, his great right hand (hook and jab), his "undefeated" chin, and I guess you have Hopkins toughest fight ever at MW
by a fair margin. based on styles, i think hopkins shades it by a hair over 12 but hopkins NEVER faced anyone at 160 anywhere near as good as marvin. he'd need every ****ing trick to take this one
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

opppsssss
BUDW is online now  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
same here but yeah, i doubt the decision would be clear on either side. tough call, much tougher than i thought considering how highly i rate hagler
Yeah, I rate Hagler higher than Hop's myself...and since we in Philly consider Hagler kind of an adopted son for his willingness to fight the Philly MW's in Philly when very few others were willing to face them at all I don't think I have a bias to be accused of in this fight. I rate Hagler higher, but think Hop's would be able to take a close decision.

I am very excited about this proposed Hopkins vs B. Hop fight that is being talked about in this thread...not sure who I like in that one just yet!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #29
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hagler to me just did a little bit more a little better. It would be a close fight no doubt.. but I see Hagler winning a decision over either distance.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #30
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Duran gave a prime Hagler fits with his counter-punching and cageyness. Ok, Hagler won clearer than the judges scorecards suggested but he hardly looked good and comfortable over the distance. Leonard's slick cagey, defensive, speedy style beat a past prime Hagler.

I think Hopkins beats Hagler. He's simply got the tools and style to do it.
Robbi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum