Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #31
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Marvin Hagler vs Bernard Hopkins

Honestly, do you think that Hopkins will steal that sneak right hand against Hagler? He pulled that shit on Joe lipsey and john david Jackson, but it isn't going to work on Hagler. Hagler fought Willie Monroe and Boogaloo Watts; they were the creators of the sneaky shit that Hopkins would have to get away with to beat Hagler.
Have you forgotten the people that hagler fought on his way to the top? He'd beat hopkins very clearly. He might kill the Hopkins that fought Jones. The later, smarter, slicker Hopkins he'd beat by wide UD.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #32
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I like Hagler by decision. I dont see a knockout either way. Both guys had great chins.

Hagler would have that little extra in the offensive department IMO. He would throw more and punish the body. Marvin Hagler`s ability to switch from conventional to southpaw would keep Hopkins from catching his groove in this one.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #33
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel sanders View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
:d
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm surprised at some of the picks for Hopkins here; I think Bernard is being slightly overrated by some & MMH underrated by some - just my opinion mind you.

I like Hagler by decision in this...I just think he's flat out better than Bhop.
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #35
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Maybe the fight gets stopped because headbutts are cutting up Hagler and Hopkins wins the battle but Hagler the event.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #36
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Two of the best chins south of 160, ain't noone getting stopped here.

Hagler sill take it on points for my money. I reckon one of them decisions where the rounds are close but clear in favour of Marvin. 117-111 type.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #37
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHands(beeb) View Post
I'm surprised at some of the picks for Hopkins here; I think Bernard is being slightly overrated by some & MMH underrated by some - just my opinion mind you.

I like Hagler by decision in this...I just think he's flat out better than Bhop.
I think that you merely do not like opinions different from your own or that you cannot fathom how one great boxer might beat another if you don't see it that way and/or that 2 seemingly intelligent boxing fans can see the same fight playing out different ways...

Overrated/underrated is akin to playing the race card, when you have run out of legitimate solutions...

I rate Hagler as the greatest MW ever, and include Hopkins inside of my top 10....If choosing one atg to beat another atg means over and/or under rating than we can no longer do hypothetical H2H's..

Hagler greater than Monroe
Tyson greater than Douglas
Louis greater than Schmeling
Duran greater than DeJesus

Greater does not always translate into victory...

Having said that, Hagler is a solid pick and would likely be the betting favorite going into this fight, but if you can't acknowledge that Hop's at the very least has the tools to frustrate and potentially spoil Hagler...Well....Then I just don't know what else to say to you?
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #38
JohnH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hagler stops Hopkins in around the 11th...
JohnH is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #39
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I think that you merely do not like opinions different from your own or that you cannot fathom how one great boxer might beat another if you don't see it that way and/or that 2 seemingly intelligent boxing fans can see the same fight playing out different ways...

Overrated/underrated is akin to playing the race card, when you have run out of legitimate solutions...

I rate Hagler as the greatest MW ever, and include Hopkins inside of my top 10....If choosing one atg to beat another atg means over and/or under rating than we can no longer do hypothetical H2H's..

Hagler greater than Monroe
Tyson greater than Douglas
Louis greater than Schmeling
Duran greater than DeJesus

Greater does not always translate into victory...

Having said that, Hagler is a solid pick and would likely be the betting favorite going into this fight, but if you can't acknowledge that Hop's at the very least has the tools to frustrate and potentially spoil Hagler...Well....Then I just don't know what else to say to you?
Philly, I don't "like" or "dislike" opinions different to my own...I actually enjoy coming on here and reading the contrasting opinions (some of which make you rethink your own long held views, I'm sure you'd agree?) I respect that everybody has an opinion...I was just voicing my own...although I had to be brief was at the end of my lunch break at work when I typed. Perhaps I should have gone into greater detail...my bad. Mind you, it oesn't look like you liked my opinion much!!!

I absolutely DO acknowledge when 2 great boxers meet a case can be made for either to be victorious and that BH has the tools to frustate or potentially spoil Hagler, but the latter does not neccesarliy equate to winning, imo. I actually think that as the fight would wear on, Bhop would use EXACTLY these tactics but would lose on points to MMH.

Re the overrated/under-rated = race card thing, it's not that I've run out of legitimate solutions, I just honestly believe that that is the case within this thread, and expressed my view.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #40
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHands(beeb) View Post
Philly, I don't "like" or "dislike" opinions different to my own...I actually enjoy coming on here and reading the contrasting opinions (some of which make you rethink your own long held views, I'm sure you'd agree?) I respect that everybody has an opinion...I was just voicing my own...although I had to be brief was at the end of my lunch break at work when I typed. Perhaps I should have gone into greater detail...my bad. Mind you, it oesn't look like you liked my opinion much!!!

I absolutely DO acknowledge when 2 great boxers meet a case can be made for either to be victorious and that BH has the tools to frustate or potentially spoil Hagler, but the latter does not neccesarliy equate to winning, imo. I actually think that as the fight would wear on, Bhop would use EXACTLY these tactics but would lose on points to MMH.

Re the overrated/under-rated = race card thing, it's not that I've run out of legitimate solutions, I just honestly believe that that is the case within this thread, and expressed my view.

Ahhh....I probably over reacted anyway....I just took it to heart that over rating meant the opposing viewpoint was not as valid or otherwise not as well though out....Sorry if my words sounded argumentitive or disrespectful, I didn't intend for them to be.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #41
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Ahhh....I probably over reacted anyway....I just took it to heart that over rating meant the opposing viewpoint was not as valid or otherwise not as well though out....Sorry if my words sounded argumentitive or disrespectful, I didn't intend for them to be.
It's no problem, Philly...it's cool

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum