Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
BlueBottle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Thought of boxers avoiding the big punch

As a fan, when you see your favorite fighter avoids a big punch you might say I am glad he didn't get hit by that. Do boxers think the same way after avoiding the big punch?
BlueBottle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Re: Thought of boxers avoiding the big punch

It depends...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Him, no.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The master at ducking.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
BlueBottle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Are you saying offensive boxers tend to think this way and defensive boxers don't?
BlueBottle is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
nastynas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

No. Boxers rely on muscle memory and reflexes, they don't feel relieved, they're too busy operating.
nastynas is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Scrap21
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynas View Post
No. Boxers rely on muscle memory and reflexes, they don't feel relieved, they're too busy operating.
Pretty much this.
Scrap21 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 4443

Of course they are.
Not all the time of course and it depends on the boxer, but watching boxing I've seen many fighters acknowledge not just the landing ones but also a near miss once in a while.

Boxing isn't non-stop action (sadly), so it gives a fighter time to think and not just rely on instinct. And even when in full action, I (so I'm sure most boxers too) was constantly thinking and collecting data to try to predict what my opponent was going to do next.
That's the way to make your opponent miss, get him off balance, unravel his defence and try to take him out if he tries the same thing next time.

So you're always fully aware of a near miss, certainly if it could have been a fight ender and if it works that way after well over a hundred amature bouts, I'm sure it works the same on professional level (wich isn't higher at all up to lower journeyman level) as well.
Probably even more on world level, because up there small adjustments in tactic can make the difference between knocking someone out and getting knocked out.
Robney is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
Goodfella
Team Elite 2012 Cool Cat

vCash: 1615

Nah they'd rather get smashed in the face with a bomb.
Goodfella is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robney View Post
Of course they are.
Not all the time of course and it depends on the boxer, but watching boxing I've seen many fighters acknowledge not just the landing ones but also a near miss once in a while.

Boxing isn't non-stop action (sadly), so it gives a fighter time to think and not just rely on instinct. And even when in full action, I (so I'm sure most boxers too) was constantly thinking and collecting data to try to predict what my opponent was going to do next.
That's the way to make your opponent miss, get him off balance, unravel his defence and try to take him out if he tries the same thing next time.

So you're always fully aware of a near miss, certainly if it could have been a fight ender and if it works that way after well over a hundred amature bouts, I'm sure it works the same on professional level (wich isn't higher at all up to lower journeyman level) as well.
Probably even more on world level, because up there small adjustments in tactic can make the difference between knocking someone out and getting knocked out.
how many bouts did you have and what was your record if you don't mind me asking? I love amateur boxing stories.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Can I ask if you have boxed before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robney View Post
Of course they are.

This.

You know when you have made someone miss big. Or even when you haven't made them miss, and you're lucky that they missed, if that makes sense.

It's also great when someone winds a punch up and you think in a split second, this is going to hurt, and it doesn't.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 4443

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceferg View Post
how many bouts did you have and what was your record if you don't mind me asking? I love amateur boxing stories.
I only boxed military so no official bouts there (only lost once on points), but I did Karate on international level and had 132 official bouts 108-23-1 on later count so I can be off by a few (with 8 DQ's and 2 KO losses).
There was no difference in the way I boxed as I fought Karate matches, only it was much easier because I didn't have to take legs and elbows into account.
Robney is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
nastynas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
Can I ask if you have boxed before?

Yes, a mediocre amateur for several years.
nastynas is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
FilipMNE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 461

Quote:
This, at top level there is no time to thing ohh good that one missed me because if you just for a split second think about that, next one will KO your ass
FilipMNE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum