Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Johnny Tapia vs Gerry Penalosa

Who would win this fight between speedy, aggressive Johnny Tapia and technical boxer-puncher Gerry Penalosa?

Gerry Penalosa has the style I prefer, but I can't help but notice how in a lot of his fights he seems to go into a day dream. I watched his fights with Tokuyama and Rojas and every time he opened up he was clearly the superior fighter, but he'd go long periods without even throwing a punch. For that reason, Johnny would probably outwork him on route to a well deserved decision. Johnny was a good boxer, but when he went on the offensive, he was explosive and threw a lot of punches with mean intentions. These are the moments that would most catch the eye of the judges. Gerry was most effective working at his own pace.

What do you think?
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: Johnny Tapia vs Gerry Penalosa

I think Tapia's skill is very underrated, but that's maybe his fault. Either way, I think he would've taken Penalosa on points like you say. The odds of it ending in a knockout for either man would have to be astronomical and prime for prime, Penalosa, a counter-puncher of excellent caliber, would have to be something else..
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I think Tapia's skill is very underrated, but that's maybe his fault. Either way, I think he would've taken Penalosa on points like you say. The odds of it ending in a knockout for either man would have to be astronomical and prime for prime, Penalosa, a counter-puncher of excellent caliber, would have to be something else..
Absolutely. Tapia showed against Romero that he was technically very good, but he was an emotional guy, and would turn very aggressive, throwing a lot of punches. They weren't so much combinations as they were flurries, but he was effective doing it, and I see Gerry just getting outworked. Tapia would probably only land cleanly a handful of times. It'll look similar to Penalosa vs De Leon in spots, only Tapia will be countering as well as initating, had much faster hands, and would be landing cleaner, more often.

Gerry was always in danger of being outworked, even during his prime.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
asero
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

prime tapia would have forced the referee for a late stoppage of penalosa...

punch rate of 8 is to 1...
asero is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by asero View Post
prime tapia would have forced the referee for a late stoppage of penalosa...

punch rate of 8 is to 1...
Nope. Tapia couldn't hit, and Penalosa was slick in there. Not a lot of flush shots will be getting through. We agree on principle though. Johnny throws too many shots for Gerry to conceivably win enough rounds. He's there to the end though. Gerry was a real professional and was a master at damage limitation.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Asero; Penelosa has always shown himself to be ultra durable. What makes you think Tapia, not a big puncher by any means, would get him out of there?

The Pac that fought Ledwaba would have to go the distance against Penelosa
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I think Tapia would beat Penalosa hed throw to many punches and outwork penalosa but Penalosa had an exciting style when he would let his hands go. Id say Tapia wins a close but convincing decision. I agree that Tapia has become underrated you dont hear about him as much as you should,just the negative i heard he got in trouble again not to long ago. Met him several times hes as friendly as he is on TV, really good personalityand good hearted. A good buddy of mine Efren Chavez fought him to a draw in Tapias pro debut, i thought my buddy won the fight though, they are still cool with each other last time i saw Tapia was at the fights at the Montebello quiet Cannon me and my buddy Efren talked with him for awhile, that was like in 02. Had a picture of us 3 got to get with Efren and get a copy.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Asero; Penelosa has always shown himself to be ultra durable. What makes you think Tapia, not a big puncher by any means, would get him out of there?

The Pac that fought Ledwaba would have to go the distance against Penelosa
I agree i know that Tapia hit harder than most people think,but he wouldnt be able to stop Penalosa who had a great Chin. In fact he still does have a great chin. Hes fought big punchers and his chin has held up. Ponce Deleon,Johnny Gonzalez, Juanama just to name a few.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Gerry P, is supposed to be in a title eliminator bout 2/13 against former flyweight champ Eric Morel. I hope Gerry knocks his block off.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
asero
Champion
East Side Guru

i hope gerry penalosa wins a title at 122..he would have a better chance at being a hall of famer if he is a three division champion
asero is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
asero
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
I agree i know that Tapia hit harder than most people think,but he wouldnt be able to stop Penalosa who had a great Chin. In fact he still does have a great chin. Hes fought big punchers and his chin has held up. Ponce Deleon,Johnny Gonzalez, Juanama just to name a few.
the referee would be the one that would stop the fight. there is no way penalosa would win more than 2 rounds against a prime tapia especially that modern judges tend to favor workrate in scoring rounds..

i see a repeat of lopez-penalosa
asero is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Absolutely. Tapia showed against Romero that he was technically very good, but he was an emotional guy, and would turn very aggressive, throwing a lot of punches. They weren't so much combinations as they were flurries, but he was effective doing it, and I see Gerry just getting outworked. Tapia would probably only land cleanly a handful of times. It'll look similar to Penalosa vs De Leon in spots, only Tapia will be countering as well as initating, had much faster hands, and would be landing cleaner, more often.

Gerry was always in danger of being outworked, even during his prime.
The difference between a combination-like a Barrera would throw-and a Tapia flurry is like the difference between being in a snowball fight and getting caught in a freak blizzard.

If you're wondering, that analogy sounded decent in my own mind but once I typed it, it seems like complete shite to me. But you know what I mean, I think.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
The difference between a combination-like a Barrera would throw-and a Tapia flurry is like the difference between being in a snowball fight and getting caught in a freak blizzard.

If you're wondering, that analogy sounded decent in my own mind but once I typed it, it seems like complete shite to me. But you know what I mean, I think.
Kind of I think you are underestimating Tapia though.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Kind of I think you are underestimating Tapia though.

No, no, no. That's not how I meant it at all. See I knew that analogy wasn't good.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:

I actually like the analogy. Tapia is like a blizzard, Marco is more precise and methodical.
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum